Radiator Leak... Need replacement recommendation

Unfortunately the tanks are not necessary for cooling as all the heat extraction and dissipation is done by the tubes and fins so whether or not a tank dissipates heat is a moot point.

What isn't a moot point is the "plastic" you refer to is actually a fiber reinforced composite similar to the way Glock uses high performance polymers, Boeing does for the Dreamliner, etc. Generically they are "plastic" but due to the higher pressures the modern cooling system sees, a stiffer tank with higher strength and rigidity was needed so they turned to high strength composites rather than increase the weight with a thicker copper and brass tank, or a much thicker aluminum tank.

If you think this is an argument, then I hope you never actually get into one with anybody because this isn't even a spirited discussion, yet.
I never said it was necessary. I also never said the OEM wouldn't work.
If you think plastic dissipates heat better then aluminum then stick to your plastic.
With an all aluminum radiator the whole radiator become a cooling system not just the core. But it's not necessary! Just like the bigger radiator in my RAV4 with the tow package is not necessary. But the Toyota engineers seem to think it was a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I never said it was necessary. I also never said the OEM wouldn't work.
If you think plastic dissipates heat better then aluminum then stick to your plastic.
With an all aluminum radiator the whole radiator become a cooling system not just the core. But it's not necessary! Just like the bigger radiator in my RAV4 with the tow package is not necessary. But the Toyota engineers seem to think it was a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dude you are once again comparing another vehicle to a wrangler. How about lets compare apples to apples. Every vehicle has different needs for radiators. TJs to TJs. You are arguing with the expert. He is correct and the arguing is a waste of time. All aftermarket radiators should be avoided like the plague as the fact that the plastic cracks after ten years vs most aftermarket aluminum one being problematic at best from the start.

@AOR the crown one might be fine but it's like $25 bucks more than a mopar one. Go with a mopar one unless someone can confirm it is belt to the same specs and standards as a mopar one. If you need part numbers those can be pulled up quick

Last edited:
WOW! you people just don't get it do you. It's not about the car it's about the cooling. I don't even remember how many times I've said this but here we go again. Aluminum dissipates heat better then Plastic. Plastic was used to save money.

Do more rows also cool better in a TJ that has been proven to cool best with a single row core? :D

You don't get it. The TJ radiator cools fine. It doesn't need better cooling.

id also add the kind of car does matter to a decent extent. The type of engine varies from car to car so does the design of the radiator and coolant hoses even type of coolant.

The plastic cracks eventually. Yup. It sucks. But it lasts normally 8-15 years. Perfectly fine with me. I haven't found one thread where the aftermarket outlives an OEM.

Honestly you should just google aftermarket vs OEM radiator Jeep TJ. Read the threads. Find me one where the OEM is worse than an aftermarket.

At this point I'm responding just because I'm bored.

And again...... it is not necessary, OEM works and just because it works don't mean it's the best. Use whatever you want but my statement is still true, Aluminum dissipates heat better then Plastic. Plastic was used to save money.

And again...... it is not necessary, OEM works and just because it works don't mean it's the best. Use whatever you want but my statement is still true, Aluminum dissipates heat better then Plastic. Plastic was used to save money.
Do some research. The issue we have with aftermarket radiators is not the alumnuim
Vs plastic. It is the fact that the aftermaket radiators are crap and a waste of time and money and most don't cool better than the OEM one. seriously. Do some research on this.

I toly agree alumnuim cools better than plastic. But it doesn't matter When it already cools perfectly fine why does it need to cool better? There is a point where it doesn't matter.

To anyone looking for a radiator do not bother with aftermarket. It is proven time and time again aftermarket ones are a waste of money.
:Saeufer:

Last edited:
WOW! I have been and I have found nothing that says plastic dissipates heat better then aluminum.
I didn't post this for the car https://lmr.com/products/mustang-aluminum-radiator-benefits It was about the benefit of using aluminum radiators.
Why don't you do your research on Aluminum vs plastic and see which one dissipates heat better.

One LAST time. The tanks do not add to nor do they take away from the cooling effectiveness of a radiator. They are the worst possible design for thermal extraction and they sit generally out of the air flow because their thermal extraction effectiveness is not a factor in the radiator's cooling efficiency design.

Yes, plastic was used to save money but only because the design pressure of tanks made copper too heavy and too expensive plus it added weight. If you made the rest of the radiator as one big tank, there would be very little thermal extraction and the rig would overheat as soon as the water in the big tank slightly surpassed the engine's operating temp.

Reactions: Tj04
Sorry, I guess I missed that you were agreeing with aluminum vs plastic. I've been searching Google and just can't find where aluminum/plastic out lasts all aluminum.
So, if you have some web site go ahead and post them and I'll look at them.

Do more rows also cool better in a TJ that has been proven to cool best with a single row core? :D

You don't get it. The TJ radiator cools fine. It doesn't need better cooling.

id also add the kind of car does matter to a decent extent. The type of engine varies from car to car so does the design of the radiator and coolant hoses even type of coolant.

The plastic cracks eventually. Yup. It sucks. But it lasts normally 8-15 years. Perfectly fine with me. I haven't found one thread where the aftermarket outlives an OEM.

Honestly you should just google aftermarket vs OEM radiator Jeep TJ. Read the threads. Find me one where the OEM is worse than an aftermarket.

At this point I'm responding just because I'm bored.

To address the plastic crack issue. Most of the cracks are caused by erosion from steam when the system hasn't been properly maintained which causes bouts of overheating.

Yes, more rows in a properly designed core do add effectiveness. I've used a few of them with V-8 swaps and the cooling was needed. They essentially are the equivalent of 2 TJ radiators back to back and they do work. I don't like what it takes to install them though. If you mean more rows in the same core depth as the TJ has stock, then no, they don't work as well and can't ever due to the loss of overall fin contact to the tubes.

Reactions: Tj04
Sorry, I guess I missed that you were agreeing with aluminum vs plastic. I've been searching Google and just can't find where aluminum/plastic out lasts all aluminum.
So, if you have some web site go ahead and post them and I'll look at them.
If they used plastic for the fins it would make a big difference. But a tank will not cool as well as fins made for cooling.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/#/topics/2950377
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/aftermarket-radiators-whats-good-and-whats-trash.763/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-reason-why-you-should-always-use-the-oem-radiator.4248/
http://www.wranglerforum.com/#/topics/192260

These took me one minute to find. I had some better ones saved when I was looking for a radiator but don't remember the links. im sure there hundreds of posts about this and most will say OEM is best hands down.

To address the plastic crack issue. Most of the cracks are caused by erosion from steam when the system hasn't been properly maintained which causes bouts of overheating.

Yes, more rows in a properly designed core do add effectiveness. I've used a few of them with V-8 swaps and the cooling was needed. They essentially are the equivalent of 2 TJ radiators back to back and they do work. I don't like what it takes to install them though. If you mean more rows in the same core depth as the TJ has stock, then no, they don't work as well and can't ever due to the loss of overall fin contact to the tubes.
That's why I was suggesting for a 4.0 TJ just get th single core one as a 3 row is pointlessness on a 4.0. Totally agree on a v8 or something else sure but ours is fine with the single core which is why Jeep switched to a single core was it... 2000? Can't remeber. That's why I was suggesting to John to not link mustang or other vehicles as this is a inline 6 that doesn't need the extra cores or rows or whatever the are.

How much better is the single over the older TJ 2 row?

Last edited:
Thanks I'll take a look.
Like I said John if yours works good! :) just the OEM ones are proven that's why your getting this crap about suggesting something else. I truly hope yours outlives my OEM one. No sarcasm. When it passes the 5 year mark write a good review. But until it's at least that old I don't findisernit actually tested.

I love aftermarket stuff. But it has to be actually better then OEM for me to want it.