Radiator: OEM style auto vs. OEM style manual vs. high end aluminum (done right)

If it cools and it doesn't have to be replaced every 10 years, its completely worth it for the peace of mind if nothing else.

So is a OE Mopar manual tranny radiator the best option for a LS swap jeep tj? i have a 2006 LJ Rubicon that the radiator just blew out the top tank. I need to replace it. I plan on doing a LS 5.3 swap around christmas time but need a radiator now. I figured i would get one that would be ready to go for the LS. I have been reading all these threads and it seems the OE mopar offers the best reliability and cooling for the 4.0, but what about a 5.3? I have a seperate tranny cooler for the auto so hence using a manual radiator. Looks like my 3 options so far are a) oe b) Novak c) superior. Dont even know if A is an option for the 5.3 or i need to upgrade to larger all aluminum. I also want to stick with mechanical clutch fan.

One of the things i noticed is many of the LS swap radiators have the inlet and outlet both on the passenger side which mandates a cross flow dual pass. Since one can get a swivel lower radiador ouput neck for the LS ( i have one on my LS swapped RX7), it would be easy to do a single pass cross flow with hose locations same as stock TJ. This makes using a setup like that easy for now and for later. The other advantage to that setup over the stock downflow oem radiator is that the fill neck can still be on the driverside which is now on the cool side of the radiator which i have read is prefered. So the questions becomes who makes a reliable all aluminum single pass cross flow radiator that would be better suited to the 5.3 than just running an oem setup. Mr Blaine? 😁 btw. It will be a bone stock 5.3

Last edited: