Radiator replacement

@toximus

I bypassed my heater core last July due to a leak but didn't have the replacement heater core installed until February. That gave me ample opportunity to observe temperatures with the heater core in and out the system. I can confirm that the absence of a heater core in the system did not have any adverse effect on total cooling even during a 10-day heat wave of 110*+ temperatures. My temperature gauge was typically at 210* before the heater core leak, showed hotter between discovery of the leak and the heater core bypass, returned to the typical 210* after the bypass, and has remained at 210* since the heater core replacement. Even though most TJ's have a dumbed down gauge that does not show small changes in coolant temperature, the fact that the gauge remained relatively constant is an indicator that any difference in coolant temperatures with the heater core in and out were also small enough not to be a concern.

I'm not sure how much of this comparison type information about water cooling is available online regarding the automotive market. If you look into water cooling PCs, you can find all types of information regarding radiator size, surface area, fan speed, fan size, water capacity, push vs pull, water pump speed, etc, and how each of those effect the system's ability to cool.

Dear Mrblane; the water in the pool all gets run through the filter. But unless you dip your toe into the water you dont know how warm it is.

Doing my TJ coolant system overhaul now. Two thoughts/questions:
1. Years ago we would drill a small vent hole in the heater core top nipple placing it about 1/2” to 3/4” from end of nipple orifice. The idea is to fill coolant system with upper heater hose on but exposing vent hole. When all air is purged from system, slide hose all the way in and tighten clamp. This seals vent hole.
2. Will the ball valve shut off to the heater core cause issues as I’ve done it on my ‘74 CJ5 & it does reduce cabin air temp by closing off flow to heater box.

Doing my TJ coolant system overhaul now. Two thoughts/questions:
1. Years ago we would drill a small vent hole in the heater core top nipple placing it about 1/2” to 3/4” from end of nipple orifice. The idea is to fill coolant system with upper heater hose on but exposing vent hole. When all air is purged from system, slide hose all the way in and tighten clamp. This seals vent hole.
2. Will the ball valve shut off to the heater core cause issues as I’ve done it on my ‘74 CJ5 & it does reduce cabin air temp by closing off flow to heater box.

I don't think there is a need for a hole at the heater core, it isn't difficult to get it all back together and bleed properly. I don't know if I'd put a ball valve in mine. Although many people run a bypass there is quite a bit of flow by design in the block with the thermostat closed due to the heater core design and blocking that flow might cause hot spots. I don't think that's an issue if you simply loop the core lines.

I don't think there is a need for a hole at the heater core, it isn't difficult to get it all back together and bleed properly. I don't know if I'd put a ball valve in mine. Although many people run a bypass there is quite a bit of flow by design in the block with the thermostat closed due to the heater core design and blocking that flow might cause hot spots. I don't think that's an issue if you simply loop the core lines.
Understand, although those heater hoses are two different sizes to loop!

Finally caved and drilled a hole in the thermostat... fixed my issue of not coming to temp and bled out the remaining bubbles on it's own.
Thanks mrblaine... never doubting or hesitating on anything from you again. Cheers. The 300,000 miler 4.0 loves you

Reactions: mrblaine
Finally caved and drilled a hole in the thermostat... fixed my issue of not coming to temp and bled out the remaining bubbles on it's own.
Thanks mrblaine... never doubting or hesitating on anything from you again. Cheers. The 300,000 miler 4.0 loves you

The mopar thermostat I bought a few months ago has a hole in it.