Radiator support body mount after body lift question

derekmac

TJ Addict
Yesterday I installed a 1.25" BL. When trying to torque the rad support mount, and wouldn't reach the torque spec, and just kept squishing the rubber snubbers, and sucking the rad down.

I don't think I screwed anything up, but what it's doing doesn't seem right.

The snubbers are in fine, but the bolt for the body mount just keeps tightening and pulling the rad down. At one point I was wondering if it had stripped, until I got out from under the Jeep and saw that the snubbers were squished down to about half the size they should have been. I backed the bolt out until they looked to be at their normal size.

I did a quick Google search and found a couple of other guys that said they couldn't hit the torque spec for the bolt as it was pulling the rad down too far.

OH, I gotcha. I don't remember having a problem with it, honestly. I think I went to 35 ft-lbs? Not super tight...
Yep, that's what I had my torque wrench set at. I'll double check it tomorrow to make sure I didn't leave something out, or assemble it wrong.

I have the JKS on mine and just recently (after 13 years of use) replaced the rubber bushings and the spacers with Daystar (I like them better than the JKS, they fit better....) but back to the subject at hand, I did not torque the front one down and only tightened it to the point that the snubbers were slightly loaded/compressed. After about a week the front bolt had vibrated out and was lost, luckily I had extras, I replaced it and tightened it down the same amount again but this time added some blue lock-tite and tightened it just a bit further. I did not use a torque wrench on this one.......YMMV

Reactions: derekmac
So, I'm stupid.... I honestly have no idea how I even managed to do this, but when I did that front mount, I left out the factory mount under the BL puck. No wonders it was sucking the rad down so much. Man I feel like a dumbass!!! The worst part is, I think I put it on the front bumper, and of course, I've been out for drives and it's no longer there. :(

So, I'm not going to be able to get a replacement quickly, but I still need to drive my Jeep. I have something (metal pucks) that are about the same thickness as the factory mount. Should I be OK to use that until I get a factory mount? It won't have the cushion of the factory mount, but at least it'll be properly spaced.

Reactions: Mike_H and Chris
Haha... just goes to show that the simplest answer is usually the right answer.

I think you'd be fine with that metal puck (or whatever it is) in the meantime.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Haha... just goes to show that the simplest answer is usually the right answer.

I think you'd be fine with that metal puck (or whatever it is) in the meantime.
I still can't believe I didn't notice putting the BL puck in, lol. Oh well, at least I didn't leave a motor mount bolt or something out, lol.

The metal spacer is in, and everything is tightened up and looks properly aligned.

Reactions: Chris
I have a one you can have for shipping. Its old and a little nasty. For some reason, I saved all my factory mounts when I replaced mine with the crown kit.

I have a one you can have for shipping. Its old and a little nasty. For some reason, I saved all my factory mounts when I replaced mine with the crown kit.
Thanks for the offer!! I'm going to check the U-Pull as there were a couple of TJ's there, but if they're gone I just might have to take you up on it.

I recently put on a Savvy 1.25” body lift. I installed new Crown body mounts while I was at it since it was already opened up. My 21 year old body mounts were kinda like rocks, not rubber.

I tightened the front mount to 35 ft/lbs and everything seems good so far. Snubbers seem to fit fine, not overcompressed.