Radio Aux Install

Schwifty Rich

TJ Enthusiast
Hey all,

I'm adding an Aux Input into my stock radio with a nifty little kit i got from amazon. The plug in is easy enough as it utilizes the CD Changer 10-pin connector. My issue comes in with the yellow power wire that comes out of the interface box. The directions state, "Connect to constant 12 volt power source."

So I'm thinking to myself.. hmm why would i need to connect this to the constant power wire when I only need this to work when the jeep is on.

Based on the pinout diagram I see the wire I need would be either pin 1 or pin 12 as they are both Red/White wires and labeled as Fused B (+).

So here are the questions:
1. Why wouldn't I simply splice it to the Pink Fused Ignition Switch Output (RUN-ACC) wire?
2. If I needed to run it to the constant power Fused B (+) how would I know if I needed to splice into pin 1 or pin 12?

Here's what I picked up from amazon.

All tips, tricks, thoughts, and input are always welcome!
Thanks
-Rich

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 11.22.58 PM.png

So I was thinking instead of splicing the yellow wire into the harness, I would like to remove the pin inside the connector and crimp a new female end with the two wires. I would be able to crimp it softly at first to test the three wires and when I figure that out I'll crimp it permanently .
Only problem, for the life of me I can't seem to get the pins to disconnect from the connector. I've re pinned other connnectors but maybe I'm doing this one wrong. I'm actually coming in the front where ther males mate with the females because it seems that's where the access is to unlock it. Any thoughts?

IMG_2317.JPG

Interested. Let us know how it works out.

Well I couldnt get the dang pins out of the connector so it looks like im going to have to cut the wire harness :eusa_doh:.
I just ordered some butt end connectors from amazon. They should come in this weekend so I'll get you all an update once I'm finished.

If anyone has any input in regards to my posts above I'm still all ears!

The real question is why the aux kit would need a constant 12v connection? I hate going against the Instructions but using a 12v constant just seems counter intuitive to me.

Alright,
So I got my buttend connectors and went to it. I only had to try once and it worked so I didn't test out the constant 12v lines (the ones labeled fused B+). I used the connnector and spliced into the pink fused ignition switch output. After that I turned everything on to find it all functioning correctly. It plays cd's, the radio, and now from an AUX cord.

To get the Aux line you simply toggle the mode. All controls seems to be from the device rather than the stereo. All in all a quick and somewhat easy way to get the aux input fr a 2002-2004 RBK stereo!

I hope it helps those searching for this kind of set up. Just make sure you have the right stereo model!

IMG_2337.JPG

Oh, and in case anyone's wondering I ran the aux wire up through the top of the dash where the defrost would come out. I've got a pass through mount for a more stock look but I'm not sure where I want it yet.

Reactions: Equilibrium31