Radio Issue With 99 Wrangler SE

I also had the high performance 2.5 in my 2001 SE until it rotted away. Then I got the 2004 2.4 SE speed demon. The first thing I did to both Jeeps was throw out the OEM crap radios.

The radio with speakers they sell at Walmart for under 80 bucks is a huge improvement over the stock one.

That was my initial thought as well. However, if you look at pic2, the copper wire is bent around the conductor and the edge of the outer ‘connector’ is smooth not jagged. In pic 3, the copper wire in the center is bent across the whole as well and the metal ‘insert’ that you and I think is what broke off has more copper/brass in it than the inside of pic2 where you and I think it might have broken off. I tried using a surgical tool to pull the ‘insert’ out that you see in pick three, and it didn’t budge any

That was my initial thought as well. However, if you look at pic2, the copper wire is bent around the conductor and the edge of the outer ‘connector’ is smooth not jagged. In pic 3, the copper wire in the center is bent across the whole as well and the metal ‘insert’ that you and I think is what broke off has more copper/brass in it than the inside of pic2 where you and I think it might have broken off. I tried using a surgical tool to pull the ‘insert’ out that you see in pick three, and it didn’t budge any

I would pop off the radio side or top panel and try to push the pin out.

Ok Tj, I’ll give that a try.

TJ, thanks. That worked, for about 10 minutes...but its a heckuva lot better than it was. I'm still thinking there is a short somewhere along the antenna or from the ignition switch....No AM stations,,, can tune to a FM station and it will hold that station for about 10 frequencies either side...so for example, I can liste to 104.2 from about 99.5 through 107.....and, when you open the drivers side door, its nothing but static...have an ignition switch inbound and hoping that helps. I was have some other ignition problems and needed a new switch anyway

TJ, thanks. That worked, for about 10 minutes...but its a heckuva lot better than it was. I'm still thinking there is a short somewhere along the antenna or from the ignition switch....No AM stations,,, can tune to a FM station and it will hold that station for about 10 frequencies either side...so for example, I can liste to 104.2 from about 99.5 through 107.....and, when you open the drivers side door, its nothing but static...have an ignition switch inbound and hoping that helps. I was have some other ignition problems and needed a new switch anyway

I meant to add Im thinking of just trying to find a radio repair shop nearby and take it to them to check it out. Need to find one first.

I meant to add Im thinking of just trying to find a radio repair shop nearby and take it to them to check it out. Need to find one first.

There are a lot of working OEM radios collecting dust in many of the forum members garages and will ship for cost so put the word out. Gave a few away so no spares here anymore.

Reactions: skrelnik and SSTJ
There are a lot of working OEM radios collecting dust in many of the forum members garages and will ship for cost so put the word out. Gave a few away so no spares here anymore.

Thanks Tj, but I am not totally convinced its the radio. And I not really sure I am not working multiple issues at once. I think I have isolated it down to either the radio or some kind of short between the Fuse #15 and connector 6 on C1 at the radio; or both. Here are the current symptoms and what I have done thus far in dealing with this issue.

The radio and clock randomly works. I haven't even attempted to use the cassette tape player. When the radio does work, it is only FM and it will be on one station regardless of the frequency showing on the dial. You can turn the 10 about 1o frequencies either way before it will move off the station. Neither SEEK nor SCAN will fix on a station.

When it is not working, either there is nothing in the display are a small hyphen or dash in the center of the display. However, regardless of the display status, you always here a loud CLICK when you turn it off and on; and, even though the display may be blank, if you turn the volume loud enough, you can hear static.

Now for the fix attempts....
1. First, on the 700+ mile journey home after picking it up Labor Day weekend, I had some of the dreaded instrument cluster issues. I searched the VIN but it wasn't showing in unrepaired recalls. After getting the instrument panel out, I wanted to check the connectors to see if they had been changed as a result of the recall years ago. Unfortunately, I never could figure out how to get the connectors disconnected from their mounts so I cleaned C1 and C2 really well, scraped a fair amount of oxidation of all the pins in C1 and C2, reattached all the IC grounds and haven't had any instrument cluster issues sinces....except the radio..

2. Last Monday, I replaced the antenna as well as the coax from the antenna to the radio. When I cranked the jeep up, the radio display came on it grabbed a station but it wasn't the station assigned to the frequency it was showing. I turned the Jeep off and when I turned it back on, no radio, no radio display, but the loud click when I turned the radio.

So, I pulled the radio and checked pin 6 and 7 on C1 of the radio. I was getting a solid 13.7V in pin7 whether the ignition was on or off and I wasn't getting anything in Pin 6, either off, in ACC or with the Jeep running. So, I replaced the ignition switch and actuator.

3. After installing the new ignition switch, when I cranked it up, the radio display came on but was generally displaying symptoms that it always had, ie no seek or scan, honed in on one station but station didn't match frequency., etc. Turned the ignition off, turned to ACC. Loud click from radio when turning on but nothing further. Pulled the radio, turned on the ignition, checked pin 6 on C1 and no power.

4. Next was the fuse box. Disconnected negative ground from battery. Pulled fuse 15 for the radio. Reconnected battery ground. Fuse box has good ground to vehicle. Checked inbound (right side) of fuse 15 with the ignition off. Good continuity but no juice. Turned on the ignition, 13.7 V coming through right side of Fuse 15.

So here is my dilemna...

1. if there is no power coming through Pin 6, where is its getting its juice from to perform the loud "click" when the radio is turned on?
2. Is there a short somewhere between the fuse block and C1 on the radio? If so, how do I find it? Pg 8w-47-2 of the FSM shows its circuit X12 from the fuse block to the radio but through connector 204.

Now, here is where I really get confused....pg 80W-90-1 says there is a 204 (LHD) (Does LHD mean left hand) on the left kick panel as depicted in Fig 15 and 17 on pages 80W-90-20 and 80W-90-22 respectively. BUT is also says there is a C204 (RHD) (Does RHD mean right hand?) on the right kick panel as depicted in Fig 16 and Fig 18 on pages 80W-90-21 and 80W-90-23 respectively. Are there two seperate C204s?

Further, there is only one C204 in the 80W-80 which is where the Connector itemizations are delineated. And per the radio wiring diagram on 8w-47-2, the circuit for pin10 on the C204 matches the info in the radio diagram.

So, my questions are:
1. Does anyone know if there are one or two C204's. Where exactly are they located?
2. What is the best way to troubleshoot the inbound power issue?
3. Could the radio behavior issue totally related to the power issue or is there something in addition going on with the radio or the antenna.

Would appreciate all your input.

TJ, do you think it would be worth it to just get an old OEM radio from somewhere, plug it in and see what happens? Or, continue to try and troubleshoot the power issue?

TJ, do you think it would be worth it to just get an old OEM radio from somewhere, plug it in and see what happens? Or, continue to try and troubleshoot the power issue?

I for one would try plugging in another OEM radio first, just to eliminate that possibility. But I haven't read this thread carefully, so you may have good reasons for thinking it's not the radio.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
I for one would try plugging in another OEM radio first, just to eliminate that possibility. But I haven't read this thread carefully, so you may have good reasons for thinking it's not the radio.

Just posted on the WTB board. Thanks.

Success! Got a OEM radio from the salvage yard that came out of a '97 Caravan. Plug it in and everything came to life. Clock works, picked up and locked on stations, etc. etc.

TJ and SST, thanks so much for your gents support. You're the kind of folks that make this forum so valuable. Even caused me to up my support to Lifetime supporting member. Thanks again for everything.

Success! Got a OEM radio from the salvage yard that came out of a '97 Caravan. Plug it in and everything came to life. Clock works, picked up and locked on stations, etc. etc.

TJ and SST, thanks so much for your gents support. You're the kind of folks that make this forum so valuable. Even caused me to up my support to Lifetime supporting member. Thanks again for everything.

Great to hear! And that was a quick find.

Just out of curiosity, which OEM radio are you running now? If you look at the "audio" link in my build thread you'll see I've geeked out over them a bit.

Great to hear! And that was a quick find.

Just out of curiosity, which OEM radio are you running now? If you look at the "audio" link in my build thread you'll see I've geeked out over them a bit.

The junkyard variety. Chrysler OEM out of ‘97 Voyager.