Rain proof seats for 2003 Wrangler

Rustycha

Hello, new to this fourm… I’m looking to either buy new seats or new seat covers that’ll keep me dry. I guess I should be looking to replace all the carpet along with it but let’s start with the seats…Any recommendations?

Wet Okole seat covers...

Wet Okole uses the worst possible material for seat covers, neoprene. Sit on a Wet Okole seat cover after it has been rained on and you'll end up with a wet butt which is what Wet Okole translates to... a very appropriate company name. Why do they use neoprene? It's cheap to buy, readily available, and looks good when new.

Mainly, neoprene is NOT waterproof, it soaks up water and it can take days to dry out. Even premium closed-cell neoprene like Rubatex eventually soaks up water if it's not wiped off soon. I spent too many years wearing neoprene dive suits and having to hang them in the garage for several days afterward until they dried out. Which is why I always had several so I wouldn't have to put a cold wet suit on the next day. Not to mention the colors of the outside nylon covering used by companies like Wet Okole fade quickly if they see much sun. Red turns pink, black turns purple, etc.

For truly waterproof, you need to stay with a vinyl material like Bestop uses for their seat covers.

I’m looking to either buy new seats or new seat covers that’ll keep me dry.
Seat covers won't keep you dry unless you wear them. ;)
True waterproof material that you can brush the water off usually doesn't look and/or fit very good.

Bartact covers are highly recommended.

Reactions: rancholago
Haha true….. I’m looking for something dry to sit on after I made the mistake of taking the doors off top down Jeep out to the pub for a quick beer or two…. Thanks I’ll check these out👍

I think the closet answer may be Cordura or ballistic nylon seat covers with a water repellent spray like Scotch Guard. I refresh mine with a water repellent spray every year or so.

I really appreciate the feedback, this is why I looked to a Jeep forum. I hope I can help others someday. I now have some options. I’ll check into these suggestions also👍

My old Willys edition came with waterproof seats. 🤫
Willys camo seats (2).jpg

Wet Okole uses the worst possible material for seat covers, neoprene. Sit on a Wet Okole seat cover after it has been rained on and you'll end up with a wet butt which is what Wet Okole translates to... a very appropriate company name. Why do they use neoprene? It's cheap to buy, readily available, and looks good when new.

First, neoprene is NOT waterproof, it soaks up water and it can take days to dry out. Even premium closed-cell neoprene like Rubatex eventually soaks up water if it's not wiped off soon. I spent too many years wearing neoprene dive suits and having to hang them in the garage for several days afterward until they dried out. Which is why I always had several so I wouldn't have to put a cold wet suit on the next day. Not to mention the colors of the outside nylon covering used by companies like Wet Okole fade quickly if they see much sun. Red turns pink, black turns purple, etc.

For truly waterproof, you need to stay with a vinyl material like Bestop uses for their seat covers.

Strange as I never had water leak thru any of my wetsuits, only thru the arm or leg openings. Maybe Okole uses crappy material.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Not to argue but I wonder if the water pressure at depth contributes. Ive surfed for 30 years,never dived unfortunatly, and although we used "wetsuits" I stayed dry inside. Id recon being under the entire time as opposed to sitting on a board changes things a bunch. Anyhow, I have Bestop seats in mine that are Vinyl or whatever they are and seem to stay dry if rained on. I just cant reccomend them as the bottoms are shaped to narrow and really are uncomfy IMO.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Wear any neoprene in the water long enough, as I did during my 20+ years of sport diving, and the neoprene will become soaked through and through with water. Even premium closed cell neoprenes like I used for all my dive suits will.

https://www.precision-performance.com/blog/the-difference-between-wetsuits-and-drysuits--10896#:~:text=Wetsuits are made of rubber,wetsuit you will get cold.

This, neoprene keeps you warm by keeping a layer of water between you and the suit.
Neoprene is designed to hold water, fwiw.
Just keep your seats dry? Cab cover? Car cover?

Cab cover is my vote!

Neoprene seats will make you sweat when sitting. It’s almost like they try to pull all the water out of you…

Reactions: txbemis69
Cab cover is my vote!

Neoprene seats will make you sweat when sitting. It’s almost like they try to pull all the water out of you…

Truth. Swamp ass and back is a real issue with neoprene (and "neosupreme" I assume) seats during the summer. No way I'd have a set in Tennessee where the OP is located.