Rain water gets in hood louver, causing belts to squeal

I consider louvres a cure in search of a problem that doesn't exist. If they didn't look so cool to some people they wouldn't be installed. If underhood temps were actually a problem all cars/vehicles/Jeeps would have louvres. They stopped needing louvres many years ago once the engineers got better at car designs.
This is on the Jeep I recently purchased. Not really digging the louver thing. Changed out spark plugs and it looks like the open hood can cause water to sit in the spark plug area, a hint of rust down there...ugh..looks "cool" but I would much rather have a nice shiny Rubicon Hood..and have the wiring less exposed

So I have a Poison Spyder hood louver on my TJ. Every time it rains or snows, my engine bay and belts get soaking wet. The problem isn’t my engine getting wet. It’s my belts squeaking so loud until the water burns off, it’s quite embarrassing to be honest. Any tips on how to stop that?
I personally love the louver look on the hood too, I think they look perfect on the TJ. However, I was concerned about this too, I know the engine gets wet from the bottom, but not from the top, too many places water can puddle up and sit? My Jeep never overheats either so I was just going to put the louvers on for looks and just black out underneath the louver panel and forego the cutting.

I like the look..but maybe I could put a solid plate EDIT "under" the louvers, maintaining the look, and ventilation, while somewhat protecting the compartment. Actually it wouldnt be difficult with the amount of the threads still available on the bolts, it would provide like a 1/2 of space between the plate and the louvers....hmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
I like the look..but maybe I could put a solid plate over the louvers, maintaining the look, and ventilation, while somewhat protecting the compartment. Actually it wouldnt be difficult with the amount of the threads still available on the bolts, it would provide like a 1/2 of space between the plate and the louvers....hmmm
Then your louver panel would stick up that high wouldn't it?
Since the holes are already cut in your hood, maybe put the plates on the underside of your hood, trim them out and then paint?

Then your louver panel would stick up that high wouldn't it?
Since the holes are already cut in your hood, maybe put the plates on the underside of your hood, trim them out and then paint?
Yes..Underneath is what I was referring to, the bolt heads are on top, the available threads are under... It would still allow airflow (yes, acknowledge for no purpose for my uses), while still maintaining the look..and keep me from buying a whole new hood...

I like the look..but maybe I could put a solid plate EDIT "under" the louvers, maintaining the look, and ventilation, while somewhat protecting the compartment. Actually it wouldnt be difficult with the amount of the threads still available on the bolts, it would provide like a 1/2 of space between the plate and the louvers....hmmm
Exactly what I did. I had the long narrow grills on my Rubi when I bought it and love the look but hated the water everywhere. Made a couple of plates out of aluminum and mounted at an angle to direct the water. Then painted silver to roughly match the TJ. If I had a metal brake, I would have bent the lower end to direct the water to just one corner but, even without that, this keeps things a lot cleaner and dryer in the engine compartment.
The last pic is from about the same time period.

IMG_20200229_165739.jpg

IMG_20200229_165751.jpg

IMG_20200314_120938.jpg

IMG20190908175414.jpg

Last edited: