RainX for Soft Top Rear Window

No... IIRC, it will not end well for your plastic window.

If you're talking hardtop, then you'll be fine on glass.

Reactions: matkal
No... IIRC, it will not end well for your plastic window.

If you're talking hardtop, then you'll be fine on glass.

From what the bottle said it sounded like it was fine, but that's why I was asking since I couldn't find a definite answer anywhere. I need to replace my current window anyways since it has a hole in it so I might just go ahead and test it.

I use regular Meguiar's cleaner/car wax on mine. Makes them slicker and even removes (or covers them up) small scratches.

I'm a moron, I though you meant like candle wax or board wax, but car wax makes a bit more sense. I've got probably 3 bottles of the Meguiar's but I never thought of putting it on my windows.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Too bad your Jeep top isn't an 03-06'. I've got an extra "like new" set of Bestop tinted windows.

I appreciate the offer either way. It just needs to get me through this next month until I take the top of for the season. And then I'll hopefully pick up a hardtop this summer because winter driving in Colorado with a soft top isn't particularly enjoyable.

I was turned onto this by the boat crowd http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html but I have not run it long enough to give a thorough review. It is essentially a spray wax specifically for plastic windows.

I'm sure it's fine, but nowhere in that link does it mention soft top (flexible) windows.
I've used Novus 1 & 2, and it doesn't mention soft top windows.
I've also used 303 Protectant (recommended for Jeeps); they mention soft tops, but not the windows specifically.

I'm sure it's fine, but nowhere in that link does it mention soft top (flexible) windows.
I've used Novus 1 & 2, and it doesn't mention soft top windows.
I've also used 303 Protectant (recommended for Jeeps); they mention soft tops, but not the windows specifically.

That is why I am reserving judgement at this point. Local boat and ATV shop use it on anything with clear plastic soft or not so that is why I am trying it.

Not sure if soft top windows are considered plastic or vinyl?
Rain x for plastic

If they're vinyl, there's this.
303 for vinyl

I was turned onto this by the boat crowd http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html but I have not run it long enough to give a thorough review. It is essentially a spray wax specifically for plastic windows.

I'll mess around with stuff since I'm retiring this window anyways so I don't mind destroying it in the name of science. Got plenty of winter left to test it.

I'm a moron, I though you meant like candle wax or board wax, but car wax makes a bit more sense. I've got probably 3 bottles of the Meguiar's but I never thought of putting it on my windows.

I never found anything that worked on a soft top "window". If you drive regularly on dirt roads everything about soft top windows suck bad.
We fixed our winter commuting issues with a hardtop and never looked back.

I never found anything that worked on a soft top "window". If you drive regularly on dirt roads everything about soft top windows suck bad.
We fixed our winter commuting issues with a hardtop and never looked back.

I live on a dirt road so my windows constantly have a nice layer of dirt in the dry months and I drive I-70 almost daily. I-70 is the worst in winter with a soft top. I always end up having to just use my side mirrors as a rear view because my back window just gets caked with slush. Hardtop is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: ColoJeep