Raising the front frame, bumper and steering box

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What are everyone's thoughts on putting an XJ Saginaw steering box on a TJ? As I understand it, the XJ box is a slower 4 turns lock to lock compared to the TJ's 3 turns. Beyond that they should be identical.

I am researching a potential project where I need to get an XJ pitman arm from the junk yard. Rather than fight with pulling the arm right there in the yard, why not just grab the whole box if I can use it later for a future replacement or even hydro assist?

I suppose if you can't find a TJ box, then it's an option. But it would seem to me that finding a Saginaw box from a TJ would be easy.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I suppose if you can't find a TJ box, then it's an option. But it would seem to me that finding a Saginaw box from a TJ would be easy.

He’s considering raising the front frame section and therefore wants a different pitman arm to match the oem track bar location. Correct me if I’m wrong Josh. Would it be easier to just get a custom pitman arm for your box made?

Reactions: jjvw
He’s considering raising the front frame section and therefore wants a different pitman arm to match the oem track bar location. Correct me if I’m wrong Josh. Would it be easier to just get a custom pitman arm for your box made?

There you go, I clearly missed the preface to this thread ;)

At what point does it become easier to simply start with a tubular buggy chassis? :LOL:

Reactions: jjvw
There you go, I clearly missed the preface to this thread ;)

At what point does it become easier to simply start with a tubular buggy chassis? :LOL:
That how I feel about those who live in the rust belt and end up replacing everything with weld in pieces. I feel like it would be easier to start with a wide open design’s frame lol

That how I feel about those who live in the rust belt and end up replacing everything with weld in pieces. I feel like it would be easier to start with a wide open design’s frame lol

That's how I started feeling with my last TJ. Like hold up a second here... maybe I should have just started with a tubular chassis as oppose to trying to re-work everything.

Not saying I don't find these heavily modified TJs cool (I definitely do), but we both know starting with a tube frame would be much easier!

There are far more XJs sitting in junk yards than TJs. I know I'm not the first to think of this swap, so there must be reasons why we don't see it done. I'm interested in why not to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband

That's the idea. For now, I'm hoping to keep the larger project idea separate from the viability of simply running an XJ box on a TJ. This is one a several baby steps. :)

Last edited:
That's how I started feeling with my last TJ. Like hold up a second here... maybe I should have just started with a tubular chassis as oppose to trying to re-work everything.

Not saying I don't find these heavily modified TJs cool (I definitely do), but we both know starting with a tube frame would be much easier!

At what point is the Jeep no longer a Jeep? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
That's the idea. For now, I'm hoping to keep the larger project idea separate from the viability of simply running an XJ box on a TJ. This is one a several baby steps. :)
Makes sense - I seem to recall reading on pirate a few years back that xj boxes will work just with different mounting holes. There has to be someone who’s done a swap

So you don't want to fight taking off a pitman arm but you want to fight the steering spots, port an old XJ box, and fight raising your frame?

I think you need to consider your end goal and stop getting caught up in the steps between.

• Haha
Reactions: Goatman
So you don't want to fight taking off a pitman arm but you want to fight the steering spots, port an old XJ box, and fight raising your frame?

I think you need to consider your end goal and stop getting caught up in the steps between.

Either I fight the pitman arm in the dirt at the junk yard or I fight it in the comfort of home. If the box is useful to me, I'll buy it and fight it at home. The question here is about the value of the XJ box.

Give me some credit on which ridiculous things I'll do and which ridiculous things I won't do. :)

Lol! Did you do it on yours and was it useful?

During the 6 month winter of planning my build I remember having a particular conversation that sounded a lot like this thread where I had this great idea to raise the front frame since I was raising the rear and middle.

I modified roughly 80% of the length of my frame. The 20% that remained can be summed up with 3 raised body mounts.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT