Rampage Frameless Trail Top

JP98

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
It’s only Mid-January but spring comes quick in Georgia. I was thinking of purchasing a Rampage Frameless Trail Top for when the HT comes off. I would like to get some feedback from people that have them. Are they durable, do they hold their shape well and how well does the window storage work?

I bought mine last year and I love it! The window storage works well because of the storage "bag" that keeps the windows separate. Then store them in the top storage area. It's come in handy when a sudden shower decides to sneak up on me. So far it's been durable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought mine last year and I love it! The window storage works well because of the storage "bag" that keeps the windows separate. Then store them in the top storage area. It's come in handy when a sudden shower decides to sneak up on me. So far it's been durable for me.

It holding up in the TX sun?

So far!
One thing I will add, wait until a hot day to install it. Lay it out in the sun for about an hour then install it! If you don't you'll never get it on correctly!

Reactions: JP98
I'd just get one of the Spiderwebshades personally. I have one on my TJ for the hot Summers days and friggin' LOVE it!

Keeps just the right amount of sun / UV rays out, while letting just enough it. Never a sunburn or anything!

I don't recommend the Rampage brand top unless you aren't going to use it much at all. We use one for my Girlfriends TJ during the summer and the hardtop for winter. The seams and zippers ripped fairly quick and the straps that tighten the back window dry rotted and broke.

I haven't personally had one, but I have had best top brand tops and love the quality. I would recommend the NX. its only a little more money and has a sun rider feature. I think the higher cost goes a long way in terms of quality and design.

Any of these style tops are really tight against the roll cage, so when you reinstall the top or windows, make sure it's warm and the sun shines on them to help them stretch.

Reactions: JP13
I don't recommend the Rampage brand top unless you aren't going to use it much at all. We use one for my Girlfriends TJ during the summer and the hardtop for winter. The seams and zippers ripped fairly quick and the straps that tighten the back window dry rotted and broke.

I haven't personally had one, but I have had best top brand tops and love the quality. I would recommend the NX. its only a little more money and has a sun rider feature. I think the higher cost goes a long way in terms of quality and design.

Any of these style tops are really tight against the roll cage, so when you reinstall the top or windows, make sure it's warm and the sun shines on them to help them stretch.

I have a Bestop with the sun rider feature and a bikini top. I just hate having to toss the windows in the back or leave them at home. Get caught out in a summer down pour and everything gets soaked. I liked the idea of the window storage on top of the Rampage. I don’t want to however have to buy a new one every few years so I appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: Chris
I researched soft tops before purchasing mine. I found tons of complaints about every frameless soft top except Bestop. I decided to go for quality, versatility and longevity. I recommend the Bestop Trektop NX. I love mine.

There's a thread over on the big Jeep Forum that talks about the Rampage top. I read through it before purchasing a top and decided against it based on so many issues. Most were resolved but there were just too many too often and I did not want to deal with them.

I ended up going with a better quality PE Sprint Top which is made by Bestop. It's been flawless for a few years now and I take it off and put it back on almost daily in the summer.

Reactions: JP13
I wouldn't replace my top with anything other than a Bestop if longevity was something you value.

I'd be curious, though, as to what Bestop recommends for storing the windows once removed. It seems that I have read that they don't fit in Bestop's roll-up window storage bag...

I was too, so I emailed them. From another thread on this same issue.

"Bestop returned my email. No clever storage options, just the old standard, but figured I'd share anyway.

Hello Grant,

Thank you for contacting us. The Trextop NX windows will not fit our storage bags. What we recommend is to use soft cloths or soft towels. Lay one down put a window on it, then lay a second cloth or towel on top, lay another window and a cloth or towel on that. Once you have all your windows in between the cloths or towels you can roll them up. Make sure that the windows are not touching each other."

I run a Pavement Ends frameless, made by Bestop. Difference is thinner material, the rest appears to be the same. Fits well, looks good, easy to install as long as you set it in the sun for a bit. I store mine flat layered in an old blanket.