Rancho RS5000X vs RS7000MT shocks?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Anyone have any experience with both of these? I know the RS5000X is very popular, but I'm wondering if the RS7000MT is any better and worth the upgrade?

Is the RS7000MT new like the RS5000X was? I'm very pleased with the RS5000X shocks so far. That's coming from previously having OME first gen Nitros.

Is the RS7000MT new like the RS5000X was? I'm very pleased with the RS5000X shocks so far. That's coming from previously having OME first gen Nitros.

The RS7000MT is a monotube shock, made to directly compete with the Bilstein 5100 (though I've heard it rides a bit softer).

It's been out for years now though, so it's not "new" really.

It seems that people really like the RS5000X shocks, so those are what I'm leaning towards. Just wasn't sure if the RS7000MTs were worth the $30 more per shock.

I've heard of folks that have them on bigger trucks and like them. My fear there is out TJ's might be too light for them to be valved properly.

Reactions: JMT
I've heard of folks that have them on bigger trucks and like them. My fear there is out TJ's might be too light for them to be valved properly.

I know... The RS5000X seems like a great shock. I just can't get over how they can only be $50 per shock. Seems like if you account for the profit margin (50%?) that they probably wholesale them for $25 per shock. Seems unbelievable that you can even make a quality shock for that price!

Reactions: JMT and Starrs
I have the RS 7000 MT shocks on my TJ. I also had the Bilstein 5100 on my JKU. I loved the 5100's on the JKU. They were perfect.....for the JKU.

When I lifted my TJ, I decided to go with the RS7000MT's based on the comparison from the 5100's. I think the 7000's result in a very stiff ride on the TJ. I have about 8,000 miles on the 7000's.

If I had it to do again, I would not use the 7000's on my TJ. I believe that the TJ is too light for the 7000's.

I have the RS 7000 MT shocks on my TJ. I also had the Bilstein 5100 on my JKU. I loved the 5100's on the JKU. They were perfect.....for the JKU.

When I lifted my TJ, I decided to go with the RS7000MT's based on the comparison from the 5100's. I think the 7000's result in a very stiff ride on the TJ. I have about 8,000 miles on the 7000's.

If I had it to do again, I would not use the 7000's on my TJ. I believe that the TJ is too light for the 7000's.

That’s what I was hoping to hear, someone who has experience with both. It sounds like he RS5000X shocks are the way to go. They seem like they are setup for a lighter vehicle like the TJ, whereas the 7000s seem better suited for something heavy like a truck.

Reactions: bobthetj03
To further my post above. I dislike them to the point that I am going to replace them. Remember, just because it costs more, doesn't mean its better. Lesson learned on my part.

Reactions: Chris
To further my post above. I dislike them to the point that I am going to replace them. Remember, just because it costs more, doesn't mean its better. Lesson learned on my part.

I’m glad you chimed in before I ended up buying something I too would regret!

7000 shocks have been around a very long time and I currently run them on my F-250 and love them.

About 4 months ago I put 5000x shocks on my F-250 and they were the worst shocks I have ever rode on. They we're so soft it would bounce for what seems like a full minute after a bump. I called Rancho and they refunded my money and I then purchased the 7000 shocks. I

In my opinion the 7000's will be way to stiff for a TJ. Now, on my last TJ I ran the adjustable 9000's and they were great. If you're going to upgrade get the 9000's and skip the 7000's, if not, go with the 5000x

Last edited:
7000 shocks have been around a very long time and I currently run them on my F-250 and love them.

About 4 months ago I put 5000x shocks on my F-250 and they were the worst shocks I have ever rode on. They we're so soft it would bounce for what seems like a full minute after a bump. I called Rancho and they refunded my money and I then purchased the 7000 shocks. I

In my opinion the 7000's will be way to stiff for a TJ. Now, on my last TJ I ran the adjustable 9000's and they were great. If you're going to upgrade get the 9000's and skip the 7000's, if not, go with the 5000x

The advantage of the 9000s over the 5000s is just the ability to adjust the dampening, right?

The advantage of the 9000s over the 5000s is just the ability to adjust the dampening, right?

Correct and you can adjust them independently and very quickly depending on current conditions. I set them at 5 in front and 4 in the rear for dd. If you do decide to go with the 9000's you need to rotate the rear cans 180 degrees so that the adjustment knobs face forward so nothing can damage them.

I liked the 9000s just for the fact I could set them soft for the street and in a matter of a minute I could stiffen them up for trails.

I think I may just go with the RS9000XLs then in that case. It would be nice to be able to adjust the dampening for when I have the kids in the backseat too!

Reactions: CodaMan