Rancho RS55239 and RS55241 shock travel?

Cole

TJ Enthusiast
Just got the Jeep out from storage. Ohhhh such an amazing feeling! : )

I plan on putting the Rancho's RS5000x later this month and had a question. Might be a dumb one. The shocks I have now are 'supreme suspension', and are all but that. It's a super stiff ride. As you can see from the photo I did the zip tie test. Anyone with knowledge of the rancho's, will the shocks get a lot more travel being it's a smoother ride, not so stiff? Currently have the RS55239 and RS55241 picked out, per rancho, but fully plan on taking out one of the existing shocks and measuring.

I'm not sure of the travel I get from the ranchos since I've never done a zip tie test but, my butt tells me they are much smoother then the my previous shocks. (Nitro sports,bilstein 5100)

You really can't go wrong.

Make sure your PSI is set appropriately. I can't tell from the photo but do you perhaps have bump stops limiting the shocks movement?

That's what I hear!

PSI is currently 26. Going to lower it to 25, maybe 24.

Bump stops are basically non-existent currently. PO didn't have them set up properly, wouldn't stop anything if it wanted to.

That's what I hear!

PSI is currently 26. Going to lower it to 25, maybe 24.

Bump stops are basically non-existent currently. PO didn't have them set up properly, wouldn't stop anything if it wanted to.
I run 25-26 on 35s. I don't think you want to run much lower then that. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the difference. If you go with the 2.5 inch lift shocks I would guess your going to need to add about 1.5-2" of bump to clear the shock body. That said you have coil spacers so I'm not sure what factor that plays in setting yours up.

I run the 55239/55241 combo on a 3.25" lift and hit the jounces under normal street driving. granted out roads are worse than most forest service roads in my area. I run 2" bump stop extensions to keep my 33's out of the fenders.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to get the bump stops figured out before I go and put the new shocks on. Don't want to risk using the shocks as the stand in bump stops : P

My ziptie,

Measure here and here at ride height,

Then measure the amount of shock piston showing. You don't want the springs travel to exceed the available shock travel. give yourself a good 0.5" of cushion because those jounce bumpers will squish.

My ziptie,
View attachment 83627
Measure here and here at ride height,
View attachment 83628
Then measure the amount of shock piston showing. You don't want the springs travel to exceed the available shock travel. give yourself a good 0.5" of cushion because those jounce bumpers will squish.
Looks like you can shave about 1/4 inch off the bump. It's really easy just pull the spring :p;)

I get that part, do you just set it at the body and drive over bumps or this part of "cycling the suspension" where the springs are removed?

Attach the zip tie firmly, slide it to the base of the shock body, then go for a normal drive where you frequent. The ziptie will tell you how much uptravel you are utilizing under normal driving conditions. In most cases, the ziptie will travel up the piston until the spring compresses to a point that it hits the jounce bumpers if the event is strong enough (ie. big pot hole, rail road tracks, etc.).

Reactions: cliffish
I get that part, do you just set it at the body and drive over bumps or this part of "cycling the suspension" where the springs are removed?
Two different things. Removing the coils and cycling the axles with a floor jack will show you the limits of the suspension travel, allowing you to establish the boundaries via the bump stops, extended shocks, etc. The zip tie test is a way to see what has happened on a particular trip, but it is not a substitute for cycling the axles.

I run the 55239/55241 combo on a 3.25" lift and hit the jounces under normal street driving. granted out roads are worse than most forest service roads in my area. I run 2" bump stop extensions to keep my 33's out of the fenders.

I know this is an older thread but I am looking at these rear shocks. I have 9000 right now that are 13.75 compressed and 21 extended with a 7.25 travel length. On a 3” lift spring I have 5 inches of shaft showing in the rear which only gives me 2.25 down travel.

I’m trying to decide between the Rs55256 and the rs55241. One seems too long and the other too short to get the travel in the middle. How much rear shaft do you have showing at ride height @bobthetj03 ?

I know this is an older thread but I am looking at these rear shocks. I have 9000 right now that are 13.75 compressed and 21 extended with a 7.25 travel length. On a 3” lift spring I have 5 inches of shaft showing in the rear which only gives me 2.25 down travel.

I’m trying to decide between the Rs55256 and the rs55241. One seems too long and the other too short to get the travel in the middle. How much rear shaft do you have showing at ride height @bobthetj03 ?

5" exactly.

Reactions: jeepndogs
I'm running the RS55239 front and RS55241 rears, I just added 3/4" to my 3" springs and am now sitting right in the middle of the 10" travel in front, 5" up and 5" down. Bump stop clearance is 4 1/2" to about the middle of the Jounce.