Rancho RS55239 and RS55241 shock travel?

So that 5000 actually has 3/4 more shock travel than the 9000 I have on mine right now. So you have basically 5 up and3 down?

Pretty much yeah. I'm only using 4" of the 5" due to tire size. If you go with the 256's you'll be the opposite, 3 up, 5 down. Personally, I'd rather have more up.

Reactions: jeepndogs
I just lifted my TJ 2” and installed Rancho RS55239 and RS55241. The RS55239 are too long. I had to add 2” of bump stop to keep the shock from bottoming out. I guess it would be OK with a bigger lift or with bigger tires.

The RS55239's (front) have 10" of travel and the RS55241's (rear) are 8" travel. It's been said here many times the Ranchos run long for the specified application. I set my Jeep up to split the travel distance between up and down. It seems to work really well.

The RS55239's (front) have 10" of travel and the RS55241's (rear) are 8" travel. It's been said here many times the Ranchos run long for the specified application. I set my Jeep up to split the travel distance between up and down. It seems to work really well.

Yes, my fronts are exactly at 5/5. My rears now are 5/2.25. The 241 would put me at 5/3. The 256 would put me at 3/5. My thought right now is possibly raising the rear upper mount 1” using the terraflex upper mount and getting 4/4. I’m just not sure I want to go through the hassle to get 1” additional down travel.

...My thought right now is possibly raising the rear upper mount 1” using the terraflex upper mount and getting 4/4. I’m just not sure I want to go through the hassle to get 1” additional down travel.
Rancho's shock eyelets won't fit in a Terraflex upper rear shock mount relocation bracket.

Last edited:
I see you have a set for sale. What was the issue with getting them to fit? Honestly I wasn’t going to buy them I was going to make them using the terraflex one as a pattern. Of course I am sitting on my deck right now and not actually under my Jeep so I’m not 100% on what if any clearance issues I would have.

...What was the issue with getting them to fit?...
...This will not work with...eyelet outside diameter greater than 35.7mm/1.4inch. The eyelet center must also be offset from the shock body shoulder or boot hat at least 36mm/1.4inch...
A boot hat can also be cut to fit if making your own adapter. I'll show you a hat removed later.

Reactions: jeepndogs

What does this actually mean, runs long for a 2.5" Shock? Or runs long for a shock with a "14.43"" Compressed specification???

I keep hearing this information being spread around.

What I found, is that the compressed length of the shocks is LONGER than 14.43 they specified. I had to bump stop the front 2.5" to keep the shock from over compressing (left .25-.5" safety, cycling the suspension). I was expecting to only need 1.5" of bumpstop for these things (Stock 13", difference from RS239 14.43 = 1.43"). Interestingly, their extended length is right on the dot.

Also, their rear shocks are right on the money for the published lengths and do need a 1.5" for the RS241.

It means disregard the recommended lift heights. Pick a shock that fits your Jeep in such a way that the overall travel is divided roughly half up and half down.

This is easiest to do if you can identify the minimum and maximum measurements between shock mounts during the suspension cycle. From there, choose a shock the fits within those measurements and will also have even up/down travel from ride height. Once that is done, refine the bump stops to prevent high speed over-compression.

Reactions: Ericshere03
It means disregard the recommended lift heights. Pick a shock that fits your Jeep in such a way that the overall travel is divided roughly half up and half down.

This is easiest to do if you can identify the minimum and maximum measurements between shock mounts during the suspension cycle. From there, choose a shock the fits within those measurements and will also have even up/down travel from ride height. Once that is done, refine the bump stops to prevent high speed over-compression.

Right, that’s what I thought ... I HATE everyone puts lift heights ... and sometimes compressed and expanded measurements are unavailable ...

Anyways, I am measuring 15.5 in the front when they should be 14.43. They are stamped RS55239 and I got them from an “authorized” dealer ... the extended length is right on the money...

I’ll call Rancho/Monroe tomorrow, perhaps they made a boo boo on these shocks. I really do not want to run 2.5” of bumpstop on a 2.5” lift...

Everything relates to everything else. Tires and how you deal with them is a part of how you will design the suspension.

I understand ... for the sake of this thread, pretend I have 30” tires ...

I know how it works, I cycled everything without springs to get my bunpstops... bumpstop Are longer than I desired and the shocks are longer compressed than indicated in the specification