Rancho shock debacle. Warning: read for amusement purposes only

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
Bear with me, there is nothing to be learned here, this is just a painful, humbling odyssey which reminded me I’m not a mechanic, amateur mechanic, or even a guy that might look like a mechanic if you dressed me up like one. Really at best I’m capable of only the simplest of ‘car maintenance stuff’ & bolt on type modifications & I need to remember that going forward.

It all began when I learned I couldn’t drive another mile without some Rancho 5000X shocks, I hate you people :D.

So I ordered a set from 4wheelparts and they sent me:

1) one functional rear shock that matched the part number I ordered;
2) one dysfunctional rear shock that matched the part number I ordered;
3) one functional rear shock that did not match the part number I ordered; and
4) one functional front shock that matched the part number I ordered.

Here are the two correct rear shocks that I ordered, one would only compress half way:

IMG_7277.JPG
IMG_7278.JPG

I contacted the company and learned that I had to make a warranty claim on the defective shock, all 4 went back.

I then ordered a set from Allen’s Off Road and a few days later I received 3 Rancho 5000X shocks and one 9000X front shock.

IMG_7297.JPG

Starting to think the Shock Gods didn’t want me installing Ranchos.

Anyway I contacted the company and Allen called me and advised a replacement would ship out immediately. That was a standup move, I was happy.

Until I began installation.

Front shocks of course were easy, took about 15 minutes to remove them.

Inside of the next 15 minutes I snapped both bolts off the driver’s side rear.

Undeterred, I moved over to the passenger side where I managed to remove one of the bolts cleanly but smoothed the second down into a nice round ball.

Frustrated, I baked a pizza
005.JPG

And drank some beer

Merica.JPG

Then I began googling & learned what a monumental pain in the sack this particular job has been for so many people. I did know enough to begin shooting the bolts with PB about 2 weeks before I started but that did not help, apparently.

I went through all the options, air chisel, cold chisel & BFH, drill, lift the body & get after it & on & on & on. I figure I oughta at least try to break them off with a chisel before taking any more drastic steps & fortunately there was a drain hole just south of the driver’s side shock bolts that was positioned in a way that it allowed me to get the chisel in there & whack the hell out of it with a small sledge hammer. Didn’t work, not even a little bit.

I next thought about lifting the body but who’s kidding who, that would’ve only ended with more breakage and probably a trip to the ER so I decided to go with the @derekmac & @Erik V method of cutting access panels in the bed. Not ideal, but I’m not concerned with the aesthetics of that part of the Jeep (no passengers, seats or rugs, my tool box covers the entire rear) & the sheet metal panels are easily removable for future accessibility; also not concerned about resale value as I’m keeping this puppy until I (or the TJ) drop dead anyway which, given my Darwinian proclivities, could be sooner rather than later.

Now, the Jeep is in the garage, wheels off & tools everywhere.
018.JPG

I realized I needed an open work space in the bed to cut these holes so off came the spare, out came the tool box & the soft top (which has been down since spring) had to be put back up however I can’t put it up in the garage because the ceiling is too low. So, I lifted the top up & out of my way & secured it to the ceiling with a tie-down then left for Home Depot to pick up some Dremel cutting wheels.

About a half hour later I returned with my bag of stuff & thinking it’d be good to have some daylight on the subject I hit the garage door opener, forgetting that I had the soft top tied to the ceiling & directly in the path of the door :oops:.

Did you ever see something happen you knew was wrong but your brain couldn’t comprehend it? It was like that.

What I saw was my soft top moving and the garage door bending at an angle so the right half of it was all the way up while over at the left side an entire panel was still visible.

I froze, then hit the button for it to come back down & it began binding & making an awful sound so I jumped out of the car & ran in & pulled the emergency cord to release the tension. That’s when I realized what I had done, the monumental act of stupidity that I had accomplished :mad:.

As I stood there looking at what appeared to be a completely bent garage door and/or set of tracks I thought to myself, yea, I’ll just swap in some new shocks, save $150 on labor, mmm hmm, yup, I’m a mechanic now, I got this – now I’m $3,000 for a new garage door & I STILL haven’t gotten the old shocks out.

As I studied the door situation I saw that the cord that pulls the left side up was out of its spool & all bunched up like a tangled pile of extension cord. This thing:
004 (2).JPG

Hoping that was the only problem I popped the cotter pin, disconnected it from the bottom of the door, untangled it then rewound the spool, reconnected it to the door & slid the cotter pin back in & boom, straight as an arrow. I felt as though I could add that repair to the overall success of the shock job, I needed the encouragement.

Back to the shock job.

It took me 3 days & about 7 wheels to cut those miserable fucking nuts off & even after I got them off there was still enough of the bolt in there that I had to pound away with a punch & drill to break through. What a pain in the ass, I broke about 7 drill bits getting it all out of there. Had to pick up some grinding wheels as well to smooth things out. I can’t tell you how many trips to Home Depot I made (& Lowes to get new grade 8 hardware), because I don’t want to count.

Installation of the new shocks (I painted them black as well) was relatively uneventful, but the PTSD suffered during this process may be with me for a while.
009.JPG
009 (2).JPG

I began the job last Sunday & finished yesterday, 8 days. EIGHT DAYS! Of course it was an hour here, a few hours there, but still…

I had that feeling “WTF am I doing… this is so not worth it… why?”, but then I looked at my rig parked up at the end of the driveway after the test drive & remembered:
005 (2).JPG

I can't wait to hit the trails this Saturday :aplastao::ARMS1:

Epic tale, thanks for a great read! Sorry for your installation woes, though. :mad:

Your experience confirms the need to avoid ordering anything, ever, from 4WheelParts, at all costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixer6 and Matt77
Hahaha, I know the feeling all too well. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and every 15min job turns into a huge ordeal. I have since learned to put the tools down and come back after I calm down. Surprisingly, I was able to rebuild my dana 30 without any issues, which is kind of scary.

Lmao, definitely an epic tale, but very relatable.

When I bought a new front and back bumper, I expected a very easy, very simple installation...

...only to find that not all of the bolts needed were included, holes had to be drilled to make one of the bumpers fit, and getting the new bolts into the new location and tightened involved contorting my hands into painful, tiny areas. Oh, and I probably made about 10 trips to Home Depot as well since I'm apparently terrible at anticipating the tools and bolts I will need for a project. Fortunately, they're only a few blocks away from my house.

When I did the installation, I thought that installing the winch would be the hardest thing to do, followed by the front bumper. However, I thought the rear bumper would be a breeze. It turned out to be the opposite of that. The winch was cake and the front bumper wasn't bad, but the rear was a nightmare.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate a project, no matter how simple.

Had I been in that situation I would have used the broken bolts as an excuse to outboard the rear shocks, haha!

I have to say that this is a pretty epic story nonetheless. I know I shouldn't have laughed when reading it, but I admit, I did. Only because it sounded like the plot of comedy movie or something. That and I was picturing it in my head.

Don't worry though, I've been in similar situations myself. I'm sure we all have.

Some days our brains just don't work right.

Reactions: Matt77
Couldn't you have just used a big grinder to cut them out? Another member on here said " it takes longer than it takes " lol I'm the say way man, a project says it takes an hour an half and I'm still working on it 3.5 days later. Hahaha But the overall feeling of accomplishment when a job well done is completed is priceless. So, good job!

Reactions: YakTJ and JMT
Geez man, that was an epic journey for four shocks. Your statement "I hate you people" say sit all. Just a bunch of empathetic enablers on here. My old saying, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke," came to mind. But, I have to admit, I changed to Rancho's too. Took me 2 hours. I know, I'm trying to make you feel bad. BUT, I didn't get pizza and beer! I really do feel for you. FWIW, I hope these shocks last as long as you say you're keeping the Jeep! Carry on and be encouraged. You gott'er done!

Reactions: KCsTJ and Matt77
Had I been in that situation I would have used the broken bolts as an excuse to outboard the rear shocks, haha!
Exactly! Just a good excuse for an upgrade.

Reactions: Chris
Exactly! Just a good excuse for an upgrade.

Then you don't have to deal with those stupid rear shock bolts anymore... which are a horrible idea to begin with.

Fortunately mine had no rust so they came out easy, but that doesn't change the fact that they're in a stupid location to begin with. Dropping the fuel tank make them a lot easier to access.

Then you don't have to deal with those stupid rear shock bolts anymore... which are a horrible idea to begin with.

Fortunately mine had no rust so they came out easy, but that doesn't change the fact that they're in a stupid location to begin with. Dropping the fuel tank make them a lot easier to access.
You're not kidding, they are a PITA, especially the passenger side, if I recall. But I've already tried to forget...

You're not kidding, they are a PITA, especially the passenger side, if I recall. But I've already tried to forget...

Yep, me too! I'm outboarding the rears, so I'll be happy to never have to deal with them again, that's for sure.

Thank you for this. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one for whom a simple job can turn into a friggin nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one for whom a simple job can turn into a friggin nightmare.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're welcome,

I’ve always been fairly handy around the house, all landscaping & property maintenance, demolition, painting, dry walling, some plumbing, minor electrical, erecting fencing, minor woodwork… I’m loathe to call someone for every stupid simple thing when I have the capability, the energy & the desire to get it done myself, really don’t like relying on others to do what I can do, however I’ve had more than my share of cluster fucks around the house so I’m no stranger to this scenario.

I’ve had similar mixed results with the TJ. Some of my endeavors have gone smoothly while others have been horror shows, this one took the cake.

Funny thing about it is how quickly we tend to forget or at least ignore what happened the next time something comes up. I’ll no doubt dive right into the next project that presents itself like I'm a master mechanic without hesitation

I know I shouldn't have laughed when reading it, but I admit, I did. .

You're wrong, you absolutely should've laughed, that was the intention and only value of this post.

What's the old saying, humor is tragedy plus time? Granted this only ended yesterday, but that was enough time for me to understand how funny it all is

You're wrong, you absolutely should've laughed, that was the intention and only value of this post.

What's the old saying, humor is tragedy plus time? Granted this only ended yesterday, but that was enough time for me to understand how funny it all is

At least you're in good spirits about it all. Truth be told, changing out shocks is an easy task that I would feel confident recommending to most beginner mechanics. However, when you take into consideration that a lot of these TJs come from rust belt states, and those bolts are corroded in place, that alone would make me advice against it just because of how hard they can be to get out.

Mine were easy to get out on my TJ, but mine has zero rust on the underside whatsoever, which is why. I will tell you this, whoever puts the new bolts back in, make SURE they use anti-seize on them! I use that on every new bolt I install.

It makes taking the bolts out so much easier down the road! I use that stuff extremely liberally.

I also got the shocks because you guys talked me into it. Since I'm smart enough to live in the desert, NO CORROSION!! Take the old ones out, install the new ones. Except for the part where I dropped the nut for the R/H front behind the splash guard. I haven't seem it yet, but the original fit so it's in place. I can't tell much difference, but my wife can, so good enough!
Now, MY fun story. I've had an "Angry Sparrow" problem since I got The Muddog, but it is/was from the D/S front, NOT the driveshaft. It only squeaked about four or five times when cold, then shut up. I finally decided that it was time to fix it.
I figured that the u-joint was going bad, and so set out to replace it. I've never worked on a differential before, so I was nervous about it. No problem: YOU TUBE to the rescue! I watched several videos on the subject and decided that this was indeed something I could handle.
So Sunday morning I went at it. Pulled the wheel, set up jack stand, removed brake caliper. Dropped brake caliper. Every video I watched said NOT to drop brake caliper. Set brake caliper on control arm. Brake caliper falls OFF control arm. DON'T DROP BRAKE CALIPER!!!
After the third time, I got some wire and hung it in place.
Destroyed an old socket getting old u-joint out, as well as sweating off a couple pounds because I'm dumb enough to try this when it's 105 out, but new u-joint successfully installed. Of course I had to use a couple of the old clips because the new ones went "SPROINGGGGG"!!
Had trouble getting brake caliper on, but finally managed. Got the whole thing back together and went to see if I had indeed cured the Sparrow problem.
Started driving, and HURRAY!, NO SPARROWS!! Not much in the way of brakes either!
The almost felt like they needed bleeding, but pumped up most of the way. Still didn't feel right, and the D/S wasn't working!!
Took it back apart tonight and it looked like I didn't get the caliper on correctly. Looked like I missed the top bolt and it was holding on with the bottom. Pulled it off, and SOMEHOW I had managed to BEND the brake pad.
Straightened it out as best I could, which wasn't much, but when I was done, the brakes feel right, but still not much D/S brake.
New pads on order, so I'll try again when they get here.
Now you know why I pay to have my wife's car worked on.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindsey97