Rancho shock debacle. Warning: read for amusement purposes only

loved reading it.... sorry you went thru it.... but i had a similar garage story when my jeep was on the lift, and garage was open, i lifted jeep into the raised garage door and knocked it off the tracks, but was able to finagle it back together in 20 min.... , If it makes you feel any better, I have similar stories of downstream destruction after a seemingly simple project ... but involving an old and expensive italian car... one where you buy parts from europe-— if you are lucky... so in the end you did fine.

Reactions: Squatch
I've done a few jobs on mine, and yes, most of them have taken far longer than they probably should. I usually chalk it up to me just having done a thing that I've never done before (at least on the Jeep). The only problem, really, is that if you do a job well enough, there's a pretty good chance that you'll not have to do that same job a second time, and won't get a chance to apply the things you've learned, and that's frustrating sometimes. But I guess the alternative is worse. :)

Installed the Rancho shocks today, after the $50 buck July rebate, the best $150 I have spent to date on the TJ. Was not really sure it would be that noticeable a difference once upgraded, but I noticed immediately how much better it handled. Took me about 3 or 4 hours, not a single issue. Thankfully my TJ has never seen any salt and crap weather, so the undercarriage is pretty straight. I put some anti seize on the bolts. Slowly upgrading and replacing components as I progress with the TJ madness!

Sounds like me, try to fix something, and tear it up where nobody can. I've had a few of those "why on earth did I attempt this" deals.

Its a LOT easier to access the rear shock bolts when you do this...
View attachment 50561
Any other suggestions. I'm looking for an alternative because my 2004 Jeep TJ has a salvaged title. It was in an accident, frame definately bent. (with what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it but making it work.) Some of my body mount bolts are bent either from the accident or bent when trying to straighten out the frame rails. I don't have much room, but you are right-your picture/lifting up the body makes it easy.

I think it’s time you changed your blinker fluid and muffler bearings... and then i won’t talk about the oil pan I dropped from five feet doing a rear main seal.... for the life of me I couldn’t get it to seal.... took one off the spare motor and bingo went right in.. or the front upper body side control arm bolt down the frame rail on a Cherokee that took me 4 hours to fish out.

Or the fuel injector wire I managed to unseat for the plug harness when changing an exhaust manifold gasket... ran like shit couldn’t figure it out until I walked a away for a few weeks and thought about it.

Reactions: Jack72
I can relate to the garage door. I stood up the cover for my axle crate. Girlfriend gets home and ran the door up pinching the box top with the door.

Birds nested the support cable, bent the door in the middle and popped a few wheels out of the track.

I was able to straighten it and put everything back to working order.

It was also a rental house so I wasn’t too concerned.