Rancho vs. Bilstein

Put Bilstein's 5100's on my 03 Rubicon, problem is with the added TnT armor, Smittybuilt cargo box in the back, aftermarket rear bumper and Procomp 35x12.5x15 on a 10 inch alloy rim on the rack, it was just to much weight for the shock, it would bottom out real hard, I just got my new Rancho 9000xl shocks, this way I can dial in the front to a 3-4 and the rear to a 7 or 8 to help with the bottoming out, I also have the Old Man Emu 2.5 lift HD coils which really don't seem that heavy duty, Next time I would have some heavier coil springs made!

DSC_0238 (1).JPG

Put Bilstein's 5100's on my 03 Rubicon, problem is with the added TnT armor, Smittybuilt cargo box in the back, aftermarket rear bumper and Procomp 35x12.5x15 on a 10 inch alloy rim on the rack, it was just to much weight for the shock, it would bottom out real hard, I just got my new Rancho 9000xl shocks, this way I can dial in the front to a 3-4 and the rear to a 7 or 8 to help with the bottoming out, I also have the Old Man Emu 2.5 lift HD coils which really don't seem that heavy duty, Next time I would have some heavier coil springs made!

View attachment 68851
How much suspension up travel is there after the added weight?

I replaced the factory, likely original shocks, on my 60k mile ride with the Ranchos that have been highly recommended on this forum. It was night and day difference. Rancho holds the road better on the highway, more feel of control over any bump, and with less bounciness on washboard dirt roads etc. It was probably the best bang for the buck upgrade.
I’m looking to replace factory shock on a non lifted 97 w/31’s. Would the rancho Rs5000x work 0-2”? I’m hearing in some threads the rancho may run a bit too long for stock setup although states 0” lift. Will I need to do any modifications to bump stops or anything or just replace and be done. Original springs seem fine enough only 80,000 and mostly garage kept

Zero lift ranchos will work. The stock shocks are about F - 13" and R - 12" compressed which is about the same as the ranchos. I personally wouldn't worry about the bumps given the minor difference.

Cool TY. It just seems for the money rancho rs5000x is my way to go for more or less a DD. Light trail use. Now to continue with daily pb blaster soak and lighting a candle to get those upper bolts off.

Reactions: JoseA and Alex01
Cool TY. It just seems for the money rancho rs5000x is my way to go for more or less a DD. Light trail use. Now to continue with daily pb blaster soak and lighting a candle to get those upper bolts off.
I loved the Ranchos. I've read people in the rust belt complaining about them rusting out over time but I guess that just goes with the location 🤷‍♂️