• Ranchos

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Black max's

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
Ive heard that Black maxes are better for light Jeeps, I have a dirtworx rear bumper, and a trimmed stock front bumper, I have no winch, and if I get one it will be with the savvy front bumper

what's your vote and why?
If I add any armor it will most likely be aluminum...

FYI, there is also this thread. Oh, and this thread. Or, maybe that's where you heard that BMs were better for lighter Jeeps?

I don't think that there are many Forum members who have run both, and those that have are probably already included in the summary of the first link posted above. But I'll be eager to see what votes you get, because mine is about as light as they come: a stock 2.5L.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
Black maxes are by far the softest shocks I’ve run on my Jeep. I’ve had the rs5000s the rs9000s and bilsteins. My Jeep is pretty light. I do have a winch a tire carrier and hardtop. I actually wouldn’t mind them being a bit softer.

I would go with the ranchos that are adjustable. BM isn’t adjustable is it?

I run the black max shocks, and after one wheeling trip and a few hundred miles I would recommend them. Due to the limited mileage I can't speak to the failure issues some are experiencing. I did however get a bum shock right out of the box so it seems that the QC process is garbage at best

• Sad
Reactions: TJim
I was planning on going with black max in the rear due to the ability to run them canister up. At $60 I may just get them and if I doing like them, sell em and recoup some money.

I'm watching this thread. My jeep is light. I'm running Rancho 5000X on a 3" lift. I wonder how much of the stiffness is from the weight of the Jeep but also, how much of it is where the shock sits while doing most of it's work IE: ride height on a 3".

From what I read here, all shocks we typically go to for 3" lifts tend to compromise in one way or another.

EDIT: How did the 3" lift become so ubiquitous when 4" is a much better solution? Follow up: why did I, knowing this, STILL choose 3" springs?!?! (don't answer the follow up)

Last edited:
I just ordered some Blackmax 8528 for the rear. I have 3" JKS springs and 10mm spacers with only a 35" tire in the rear in place of the backseat. Not sure how accurate my measurements with 21" at rest, full droop: 25" ish, and bumpstop to bumpstop: around 14".

Unsure of what front shock to get. I roll with MC aluminum fenders, 9500 synthetic winch and a minimal steel bumper that probably weighs less than 30 lbs. I was thinking of the KYB mono's but can't find them anywhere. My measurements up front are 20.5" at rest, full droop: 25" ish, and collapsed: around 15". not sure if the Ranchos 239's would be a good fit. I also kind of like a bit stiffer ride. perhaps if I went with some stiff shocks in the front like the Fox 980-24-643 or Bilsteins 5100's and the blackmail in the rear, it would complement each other. Just some thoughts.

I'm watching this thread. My jeep is light. I'm running Rancho 5000X on a 3" lift. I wonder how much of the stiffness is from the weight of the Jeep but also, how much of it is where the shock sits while doing most of it's work IE: ride height on a 3".

From what I read here, all shocks we typically go to for 3" lifts tend to compromise in one way or another.

EDIT: How did the 3" lift become so ubiquitous when 4" is a much better solution? Follow up: why did I, knowing this, STILL choose 3" springs?!?! (don't answer the follow up)
I've thought about buying a set of 4" currie springs for the front and keeping a 3.5" in the rear because of the shock options.