Random broken wire in engine bay

yummycurryboy

Hello everybody,

Today, while installing a new belt I noticed a random split wire in my engine bay. It is on the right side of the engine bay (if you are facing the engine). Normally it would be blocked by the coolant reservoir, which I removed in order to fit the belt.

It looks like one end is connected to some sort of snap connector under the washer fluid tank and the other end routes into the general electrical harness.

I haven't actually started my Jeep in two months. I've been dealing with some rusty bolts while trying to replace my alternator. That being said, I have no idea when this wire split or what the effects of it could be. The reason I am replacing my alternator is because my volt meter was dropping and my jeep would die a minute after starting.

The only other electrical issue I had prior to this ordeal was that my drivers side turn signal (the one on the side) was not working. I tried a new bulb which didn't fix it. This is on the same side as the split wire so it could be related.

Has anybody had this happen to them or have any knowledge regarding this? I'd prefer not to have to replace my entire harness ;) !

Thank you!

tempImage1309i3.jpg

tempImageScaD4j.jpg

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Hello everybody,

Today, while installing a new belt I noticed a random split wire in my engine bay. It is on the right side of the engine bay (if you are facing the engine). Normally it would be blocked by the coolant reservoir, which I removed in order to fit the belt.

It looks like one end is connected to some sort of snap connector under the washer fluid tank and the other end routes into the general electrical harness.

I haven't actually started my Jeep in two months. I've been dealing with some rusty bolts while trying to replace my alternator. That being said, I have no idea when this wire split or what the effects of it could be. The reason I am replacing my alternator is because my volt meter was dropping and my jeep would die a minute after starting.

The only other electrical issue I had prior to this ordeal was that my drivers side turn signal (the one on the side) was not working. I tried a new bulb which didn't fix it. This is on the same side as the split wire so it could be related.

Has anybody had this happen to them or have any knowledge regarding this? I'd prefer not to have to replace my entire harness ;) !

Thank you!

View attachment 244521
View attachment 244522
What does it connect to, not the the broken end, the other end?

Have your battery load tested before replacing the alternator. Load testing has to be done by a load test device which places a heavy electrical load on the battery while monitoring its voltage. Even a nearly dead battery can measure 12 volts on a simple meter but it would drop down to a useless level with an electrical load on it. Few auto parts stores know how to correctly perform a load test, I'd take it to an automotive battery specialty store where the expertise will be higher.

That broken connection appears to be going to the windshield washer pump. Does the washer pump work or not when you use the windshield wiper's wash function?

Have your battery load tested before replacing the alternator. Load testing has to be done by a load test device which places a heavy electrical load on the battery while monitoring its voltage. Even a nearly dead battery can measure 12 volts on a simple meter but it would drop down to a useless level with an electrical load on it. Few auto parts stores know how to correctly perform a load test, I'd take it to an automotive battery specialty store where the expertise will be higher.

That broken connection appears to be going to the windshield washer pump. Does the washer pump work or not when you use the windshield wiper's wash function?
You know what, I just remembered that my washer pump stopped working! Its been a little while since I drove the Jeep so I forgot. I suppose, if that is the only repercussion I can live without it. Unless it is an easy fix?

And I did have the battery load tested at auto zone. They kept it overnight and said it was good the next day. At this point I already have the new alternator so I will replace it regardless. If, I still cant get voltage I'll have the battery tested again.

If they kept the battery overnight to make sure it was fully charged before the load test the next day it appears they know how to properly perform a load test.

Know too that the alternator's voltage regulator is not inside the alternator as it commonly is, it's inside the PCM (engine computer). So if the battery is truly ok and its connections at the battery are good, it could be either the alternator or its voltage regulator inside the PCM. Let's hope it's not the voltage regulator as replacing the PCM is the only fix for that and PCMs are not inexpensive.

If it turns out to be a bad voltage regulator and the PCM needs to be replaced, @Wranglerfix would likely be able to help you on that. Maybe just repair your PCM.

If they kept the battery overnight to make sure it was fully charged before the load test the next day it appears they know how to properly perform a load test.

Know too that the alternator's voltage regulator is not inside the alternator as it commonly is, it's inside the PCM (engine computer). So if the battery is truly ok and its connections at the battery are good, it could be either the alternator or its voltage regulator inside the PCM. Let's hope it's not the voltage regulator as replacing the PCM is the only fix for that and PCMs are not inexpensive.

If it turns out to be a bad voltage regulator and the PCM needs to be replaced, @Wranglerfix would likely be able to help you on that. Maybe just repair your PCM.
Thanks Jerry! Fingers crossed its just the alternator! Just waiting on new bolts to fit the alternator.

And, I have made sure to keep all my battery contacts clean per your advice!

It is a 2000 Sahara w/ 4.0.

That would be so helpful! If I am not getting voltage after the new alternator installl I will PM you. Thank you so much!
I have a simulator that tests all aspects of the ecm. Picture a string of Christmas lights with alligator clips attached. Simple, yet very effective

If the ecm tests good I don’t charge you anything. Most repair and return services are between $100-$125 dollars depending to what the issues are.

Either way, rest assured you”re in excellent electronic hands and we’ll get you taken care of.

Thanks,

Mark