Random flashing engine light while driving

T.K.

After I drive a little basically after it’s warm if I drive it not like I stole it but not like my grandparents either usually while I’m in the accelerator and I can get it to go off for a few miles just by letting up in the pedal but it doesn’t stay on if I stop and try to check it at a garage decided to buy a reader to see if I can at least get a read on it Any thoughts before I get an attempt to read it

Scan it and let us know what codes it's throwing, that's the place to start here.

Any auto part store will scan it for free and give you the codes. Just don't let them convince you to replace whatever sensor it likely is with anything other than an OE Mopar sensor or you will regret it.

When mine would flash but not stay on I couldn’t read it with a scanner after it stopped but it turned out to be a bad spark plug causing misfire.

If it's flashing it's picking up a 'hard fault'. Usually a misfire code in my experience. You've probably got a bad coil or plug.

But your first step has to be pulling the code.

Stop doing it.

The flashing CEL is a serious misfire that can cause damage to your cats. Start with new plugs/wires.

Reactions: Fughuert
So I pulled the code it is a misfire on cylinder two I changed all the spark plugs in the coil packs the same time about a month ago as of now still little confused now engine light is on steady with that cylinder two misfire

What order do the cylinders go in one through six (back to front, front to back, random)

I had a misfire on 4&6 before I changed the plugs and coil pack now that it’s misfiring in 2 is why I’m confused

After I parked it for about a week or so before the light was on after having changed the plugs when I went to start it the battery was dead but nothing was left on (thought nothing of it) but when I got it jumped and running the radio didn’t work who was a few days after the CEL was flashing (before I got the reader) now I have the reader the radio still isn’t working and the light is on solid. the radio isn’t of concern unless it means something bigger

So I pulled the code it is a misfire on cylinder two I changed all the spark plugs in the coil packs the same time about a month ago as of now still little confused now engine light is on steady with that cylinder two misfire

What order do the cylinders go in one through six (back to front, front to back, random)
They go front to back, #2 is the 2nd closest to the radiator. There's a TSB (technical service bulletin) to fix a #2 cylinder misfire by wrapping the #2 fuel injector with an insulator held on by a zip tie. Heat from the exhaust header vaporizes the fuel inside the #2 fuel injector to vaporize causing the misfire.

This is the insulation specified on the Mopar TSB and what it looks like installed on my #2 fuel injector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O3QHDK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

TSB-Fuel-Injector-Wrap.jpg

Reactions: Gollywomper
After I drive a little basically after it’s warm if I drive it not like I stole it but not like my grandparents either usually while I’m in the accelerator and I can get it to go off for a few miles just by letting up in the pedal but it doesn’t stay on if I stop and try to check it at a garage decided to buy a reader to see if I can at least get a read on it Any thoughts before I get an attempt to read it
I’m no English major but this is the most prolific run on sentence in forum history. I nearly ran short of breath reading it. My iPad threw a code.

Last edited:
What kind of plugs are you running, OP? I was getting a random misfire on cylinder 1, but autolite iridium plugs seem to have cured it.

I’m no English major but this is the most prolific run on sentence in forum history. I nearly ran short of breath reading it. My iPad threw a code.
Since there is no punctuation, theoretically, it could still be going on.
And on.

Is there a forum points deduction for lack of punctuation?

Since there is no punctuation, theoretically, it could still be going on.
And on.

Is there a forum points deduction for lack of punctuation?
Yes we're looking into at least grading them on a high school level .

We're going to let Level 5 members have little more slack , but if they move up , these posts have to spot on in grammar and punctuation .

Signed,
Andy G
Forum Guidelines Panel Member

Reactions: ICDGary
Signed,
Andy G
Forum Guidelines Panel Member

I would recommend grammar and punctuation at a freshman level, I could live with that.

I'm glad that you probably don't live in a glass house. It seems that you're missing some punctuation of your own.

Andy G.

Just funnin' ya'.

Reactions: AndyG
I would recommend grammar and punctuation at a freshman level, I could live with that.

I'm glad that you probably don't live in a glass house. It seems that you're missing some punctuation of your own.

Andy G.

Just funnin' ya'.
I'm busy trying to figure out how to "like" my own posts!

I know I'm terrible to mess with people on here.. but it is all meant in a good spirit .

Now if I can figure out how to collect fines from people...

I'm busy trying to figure out how to "like" my own posts!

I know I'm terrible to mess with people on here.. but it is all meant in a good spirit .

Now if I can figure out how to collect fines from people...
I think you're fine.
There's your first one.

Reactions: Blondie70
Ngk whatever is suggested by the manual
That's what I was running. I just bought what the sticker under the hood said, because everyone says these rigs love OEM parts. I haven't had a CEL in several hundred miles since switching to Autolite iridiums. XP985, if I recall.
Before, it wouldn't make it half a tank.