Random photos: Got anything interesting, unique, strange?

58 years ago: The Seattle Freeway under construction along the Rainier Brewery, 1966.
Rainier Beer was first brewed in 1878 by the Seattle Brewing and Malting Company, which later became known as the Rainier Brewing Company. The original Rainier Brewing Company’s “R” is now on exhibit in Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI)'s Grand Atrium.

View attachment 515785

Still hard for me to believe i-5 necks down to 2 lanes on the way into town. I don't miss that commute.

Reactions: Wildman
I got a pic of all the eclipses through one of my welding helmets. I’ll be back from Tatooine tomorrow evening. 🤣

IMG_8560.jpeg

In my backcountry pursuits, I've had grizzlies follow me every day in the Scapegoat wilderness on an elk hunt (tracks over mine when back-tracking at days end - every day!) I've had a mountain lion scream at me 20 yards away when night-hunting a lion that was killing cattle in TX. In NM, before they were "officially" there, I watched a pair of wolves separate an elk calf from a cow elk on a scouting trip in the Gila wilderness. I didn't see the end, but I hope somehow that calf made it! And finally, I see western diamondbacks all the time in the field here at home.

But the most scared I've ever been was during lightning storms at elevation when there's no where to go and strikes are happening at random all around. That happened once before I understood high-elevation lightning storms, and then again years later when I just got caught out and a fast-moving storm cell moved in before I could avoid it. Both times, I was cannon-balled up, standing on my toes, praying to God to spare me. Lightning in the mountains is a serious deal! I see that picture and think, "those poor, innocent kids!"

Lightning at elevation is nothing to screw around with.

Myself and a coworker were working on a piece of railroad equipment on Pikes Peak during the rehab of the cog railway. Got some cloud cover and lightning struck less than a hundred yards away. Instantly shut the job down for day and high tailed off that mountain. My coworker is ten years younger and a good seventy pounds heavier than I. In the 25 years we’ve worked together, I’ve never seen his fat ass move so fast.

Does anyone remember the "Lightning Bowl"? Bears vs. someone at Soldier field, game was aborted early due to lightning strikes all around.