Random photos: Got anything interesting, unique, strange?

Yes, but just 'passing thru'. South rim to Phantom Ranch and back up (South Kaibab trail to Phantom Ranch and up the Bright Angel back to the south rim). I do rim to rim with a group of friends Memorial Day weekend every year. The north rim hasn't opened up yet this year due to snow and rock slide damage (closes from 10/15 - 5/15 due to its remoteness, snow, access, etc.), and it's too hot to hike across the bottom after May, so we did an abbreviated 'rim to river to rim' hike this year.

Awesome. I wish I’d have continued to the north rim when I did it. We did south kaibab down to a camp site and then back up bright angel. Was a neat experience.

Reactions: reddvltj
Awesome. I wish I’d have continued to the north rim when I did it. We did south kaibab down to a camp site and then back up bright angel. Was a neat experience.

I highly recommend finding a way to make it happen if you can. I've never been a hiker, but had a buddy ask if I wanted to join the group he went with and I figured, why not; it's a great challenge and not many people can say they've hiked one of the seven natural wonders of the world (and it's in my back yard).

Fast forward and this is now my 9th consecutive year. The south rim is what 99% of people see and think of, but the north rim is so different and, in my opinion, blows the south rim away in terms of scenic beauty.

I highly recommend finding a way to make it happen if you can. I've never been a hiker, but had a buddy ask if I wanted to join the group he went with and I figured, why not; it's a great challenge and not many people can say they've hiked one of the seven natural wonders of the world (and it's in my back yard).

Fast forward and this is now my 9th consecutive year. The south rim is what 99% of people see and think of, but the north rim is so different and, in my opinion, blows the south rim away in terms of scenic beauty.

Someday I will.

Reactions: reddvltj and DaveC
View from the east side of lake Pend Orielle
20230527_111353.jpg

tuskegee-band.jpg

Bonus points awarded if you can ID the instruments in the front row to the viewer's right (Stage Left). Hint: They're NOT french horns!

Good to see at least one person here with good breeding and culture! ;) :D Not many people would recognize one.

I don't know that I would go that far... Not many people have ever seen a metal double walled clarinet either, but I had one given to me by my grandfather when I was in elementary school...

But I digress... there are many things I have forgotten in life but some trivial shit just seems to stick... I learned about them when I was in elementary school band.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
I don't know that I would go that far... Not many people have ever seen a metal double walled clarinet either, but I had one given to me by my grandfather when I was in elementary school...

But I digress... there are many things I have forgotten in life but some trivial shit just seems to stick... I learned about them when I was in elementary school band.

I've never seen a metal clarinet either - double wall or otherwise, although I've heard tell of them. I still remember obscure and arcane computer commands from 50 years ago!

I've never seen a metal clarinet either - double wall or otherwise, although I've heard tell of them. I still remember obscure and arcane computer commands from 50 years ago!

I need to see if I can find that clarinet somewhere in the depths of too many years of being in storage... After my post last night I did a little e-surfing and come to find out some of those old double walls were actually made of sterling silver...

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba
My little bit of research - I think its a dogwood species. Not this exact one, but this is in my native trees of the southeast guide
View attachment 428930

Edit: after a bit more research, pacific dogwood.
[URL]https://plants.usda.gov/home/plantProfile?symbol=CONU4[/URL]

Thank you!!! I loved the dogwoods back in Arkansas but didn't think they were out here too! These flowers are much bigger as well.
That's what my wife guessed to, so now I have to tell her that she was right. It's happened before.

Excuse me sir! I'm not a fan of white. Do you have any Impact Orange?

Jeep_white.jpg

Story:

https://www.athensmessenger.com/new...cle_5d7a48bc-2028-55d7-bb9b-508f17173858.html

On Thursday at about 5 p.m., a 275-gallon container of white road paint fell off the back of a contractor’s vehicle. The container hit the ground and subsequently exploded.
A Jeep trailing the contractor received an unexpected paint job. The resulting mess covered the roadway and created a traffic jam into Ohio University’s campus.
“There was no damage to the road, besides aesthetics,” said Bob Heady, the city’s engineering and public works director. “Thankfully, the contractor has the capabilities to come in and clean up the paint.”

He said workers spent all night at the roundabout working to clear off the roadway, with city employees and police officers directing traffic around the circle. However, the contractor’s equipment broke before all the paint could be removed.
More work was done and by Saturday the area looked mostly back to normal.
There’s more cleaning work to be done on the north leg of the roundabout, Heady said on Friday. The contractors planned to return to finish the job, and have put down temporary pavement markings in the meantime.
As for the unfortunate — and now, white — Jeep? Heady said he was told the owner scraped the paint off the windshield with a utility knife and continued their commute home.

I wouldn't mind this happening to my 04 TJ since it could use a paint job lol.