Random photos: Got anything interesting, unique, strange?

Looking down on Phantom Ranch in the Grand Canyon from a point just below the tip off on the South Kaibab Trail

86251A58-2698-4011-986C-103D7C62A1E6.jpeg

No drone was used! Lol

I hiked on Mt Hood again today and had a really fantastic time. It was freezing and windy, but I still had a great time. Hiked up to 8700ft atop Cooper Spur and it was to damn cold and windy go any farther, not that there was much farther to go without technical climbing gear. This was part way through the hike. We had 360 degree views of all the peaks towards the end (Mt Jefferson, Three fingered Jack, Mt St.Helens, Mt Adams and Mt Rainier). I'll post more photos from my good camera later.

IMG_20181013_111424.jpg

@Chris @ElectricWizard did you guys ever go all the way up on Cooper Spur? We went pretty far

I hiked on Mt Hood again today and had a really fantastic time. It was freezing and windy, but I still had a great time. Hiked up to 8700ft atop Cooper Spur and it was to damn cold and windy go any farther, not that there was much farther to go without technical gear. This was part way through the hike. We had 360 degree views of all the peaks towards the end (Mt Jefferson, Three fingered Jack, Mt St.Helens, Mt Adams and Mt Rainier).

View attachment 58922

@Chris @ElectricWizard did you guys ever go all the way up on Cooper Spur? We went pretty far

Lucky you! I haven’t had the opportunity to hike up Mt. Hood before, but that sounds especially fun to do when there isn’t much snow yet.

Since we are in Salem, I’ve been meaning to go out towards Detroit and hike up Mount Jefferson at some point. I think that would be awesome.

I hiked on Mt Hood again today and had a really fantastic time. It was freezing and windy, but I still had a great time. Hiked up to 8700ft atop Cooper Spur and it was to damn cold and windy go any farther, not that there was much farther to go without technical climbing gear. This was part way through the hike. We had 360 degree views of all the peaks towards the end (Mt Jefferson, Three fingered Jack, Mt St.Helens, Mt Adams and Mt Rainier). I'll post more photos from my good camera later.

View attachment 58922

Yup I've done that hike, it's beautiful. I've done Barrett Spur and also circumnavigated Hood on the Timberline before.

Today was an amazing day to get out on a hike, I would've loved to get out. I spent it working on my TJ a bit and getting much needed chores done though :)

Since we are in Salem, I’ve been meaning to go out towards Detroit and hike up Mount Jefferson at some point. I think that would be awesome.
I love that entire area, definitely done plenty of camping and hiking up there. Highly recommend it!

Lucky you! I haven’t had the opportunity to hike up Mt. Hood before, but that sounds especially fun to do when there isn’t much snow yet.

I've only done a couple of MtJefferson hikes due to the distance/planning involved. That area is so damn pretty and there are so many good hikes. You'll not be disappointed going there Chris!

Since I'm closer to MtHood, I've done quite few of them and the views are so different from each one of them. One of the reasons I moved to this area is the accessibility to outdoor stuff. I really, really enjoy hiking and one of my goals is to build my Jeep to be able to go on these FS roads in comfort and without any issues.

It's getting pretty damn cold right now to be hiking at high elevations, and soon it'll start snowing and they'll close a good number of FS roads that take you to the trailheads. So I'm getting my last hikes of the season in haha. I do some snowshoeing in the winter but it's usually much shorter ones due to the weather unpredictability. This year I'm certainly hoping to take my Jeep where my Mazda simply cannot even dream of going. I usually go for a good short winter hike right around new year's and for this year, I'm hoping to go to this viewpoint on Bennett Pass that @ElectricWizard may recognize:

130101BennettPass03.jpg

Yup I've done that hike, it's beautiful. I've done Barrett Spur and also circumnavigated Hood on the Timberline before.

Today was an amazing day to get out on a hike, I would've loved to get out. I spent it working on my TJ a bit and getting much needed chores done though :)

Oh yeah, I've done Barrett Spur thrice so far. It's a difficult one but so totally worth it for the view. I'm yet to do the timberline trail all at once, perhaps next year. Today was really gorgeous but it was freezing up there man, the wind was brutal.

I've only done a couple of MtJefferson hikes due to the distance/planning involved. That area is so damn pretty and there are so many good hikes. You'll not be disappointed going there Chris!

Since I'm closer to MtHood, I've done quite few of them and the views are so different from each one of them. One of the reasons I moved to this area is the accessibility to outdoor stuff. I really, really enjoy hiking and one of my goals is to build my Jeep to be able to go on these FS roads in comfort and without any issues.

It's getting pretty damn cold right now to be hiking at high elevations, and soon it'll start snowing and they'll close a good number of FS roads that take you to the trailheads. So I'm getting my last hikes of the season in haha. I do some snowshoeing in the winter but it's usually much shorter ones due to the weather unpredictability. This year I'm certainly hoping to take my Jeep where my Mazda simply cannot even dream of going. I usually go for a good short winter hike right around new year's and for this year, I'm hoping to so this viewpoint on Bennett Pass that @ElectricWizard may recognize:

View attachment 58934

I've done that snoeshow trek down Bennett before, truly a different beast that time of year!

Where I'm at in town I got easy access up the Clackamas and towards Jefferson, so I usually go up that way and play in the winter with the Jeep. This year I'm much better equipped to do some winter camping trips, so hopefully I'll be able to get the Jeep up into some frozen alpine lakes this winter ;)

I've done that snoeshow trek down Bennett before, truly a different beast that time of year!

Where I'm at in town I got easy access up the Clackamas and towards Jefferson, so I usually go up that way and play in the winter with the Jeep. This year I'm much better equipped to do some winter camping trips, so hopefully I'll be able to get the Jeep up into some frozen alpine lakes this winter ;)

I'm looking forward to your photos. Please tag me when you post pics!

Reactions: ElectricWizard
I love that entire area, definitely done plenty of camping and hiking up there. Highly recommend it!

Good to know! Being in Salem, it's not terribly far... definitely closet than Mount Hood. Once my Jeep is done, I plan on doing some of that stuff next Spring / Summer. Going out there and hiking / exploring. I think it would be a blast.

Good to know! Being in Salem, it's not terribly far... definitely closet than Mount Hood. Once my Jeep is done, I plan on doing some of that stuff next Spring / Summer. Going out there and hiking / exploring. I think it would be a blast.

This is one of my favorite hikes in that area. The views are simply amazing. It's long at 13 miles and on the difficult side but so totally worth it.

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Jefferson_Park_from_South_Breitenbush_Trailhead

This is one of my favorite hikes in that area. The views are simply amazing. It's long at 13 miles and on the difficult side but so totally worth it.

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Jefferson_Park_from_South_Breitenbush_Trailhead

I’ll have to check that out then for sure! They have tons of FS roads up in this area as well that I plan to explore with when I get my TJ back. Of course that will be next year when the weather is more permitting and less cold.