Rapid flasher after a bulb change

Shelly1367

So i changed the bulb in my left flasher after it went out yesterday...no big deal. Replaced the bulb (NOT LED), and it and it still blinks fast...now today the flasher bulb doesn't even work at all, brake light and running lights are fine and the right blinker works just fine as it should.

Had no issues until I changed the bulb (and like I said it is not an LED) Any suggestions?

Remove the bulb you installed and look at the contacts in the socket. Use a socket cleaner if you see oxidation or corrosion.
6CCFCDD2-A9B0-4180-8DFA-23FE9B0F1B12.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatman
When I took the new bulb out to inspect it there’s no corrosion but there’s a sticky gummy stuff on it?? It’s like a peanut butter consistency...And it certainly wasn’t there when we installed this new bulb... What the heck is it??
I wiped it off, cleanEd the socket and put the bulb back in ... now it All works fine 🤷🏼‍♀️

0C20DC99-C406-4360-901F-951D5255851F.jpeg

C43D48CA-3845-40F2-8374-A1283991FBC6.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a prime example of why you don't coat electrical contacts with that crap
True it seems that it often recommended for use in areas like light sockets where there is not enough pressure on the connector to squeeze out enough of grease resulting a water and corrosion resistant but very poor electrical connection.

While it has its uses (think spark plugs and their tight connections) I would venture to guess that many advocates of using it are not aware of just how poor of a conductor dialectic grease really is.

if you want the best of both worlds, look into carbon conductive grease.

Last edited: