Rattle can paint for half doors

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
I remember reading on here about a source for factory matched paint in a spray can. I bought these half doors a few months ago and am really liking them. Unfortunately they don't quite match as the doors are a different silver from earlier TJs than my 2005. I am willing to pay for professional painting to match the paint but I am also searching for my perfect LJ and might end up with a different color. The mis-matched doors are getting old to me. So I'm thinking of spray painting the doors myself. If it works out, great, if not I'll get the professionally done once I am certain I have the right Jeep.

Is there a source for factory matched spray paint in a spray can?

What are the chances it will look good (notice I did not say match the Jeep perfectly).

I have access to a paint booth at NAS Jacksonville but really have no experience with that type of work.

IMG_5212.jpeg

Mopar sells color matched paint in aerosol cans.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/5-oz-paint
You should be able to match the paint using you paint code on the door tag. I picked up some green and clear coat to paint my 1/2 doors, but have not actually done it yet so I can't testify to the color match quality. Also, it is 5oz cans so you may need a couple of them per door.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
or you could always paint them matte black to go with the soft top

I used $50 of flat black vinyl on my doors for now. I suck at wraping, so I will probably get them painted next winter. I may try to do one myself and see how it turns out. It looks a little like a patchwork quilt with the green paint, black doors and tan top, but it is better than silver doors on green.
IMG_20200427_113549.jpg

Find an automotive paint retailer in your local area, they are normally located in industrial parks. Most can mix up paint to exactly match what came on your Jeep from the factory and put it into aerosol spray cans for you. I'd go with a laquer, be sure to use the correct primer first as advised by the paint shop you get the paint from.

I've had very good results with rattle cans. I did these flares years ago when I was converting my LJ into a pickup and they held up very well:

RetroFlares_zpsit4pfsz5.jpg

And recently I did this CJ/JL-style TJ grille with rattle cans.

ClearLenses2_zpsxefn4zqy.jpg

Color on both is an exact match for the factory color.

One thing I highly recommend is doing a very durable clear coat over the rattle can color. The best way to do that with rattle cans is to use a 2k (2 component) clear like this one from Eastwood: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s...zlXXMFxQuK_Z-Uc95KWsIC7ykQWpnvmYaAhuOEALw_wcB or the SprayMax clear posted by @CodaMan earlier in this thread. These come in a special can which provides for mixing the two components before spraying and as a catalyzed finish it's very durable.

I also have a silver TJ, when I painted the MCE fenders I used the Dupli color stuff but a shade darker than what was recommended and it came out really close

Just got done with mine today. Used doors in a Forest green with a tan door panel. No way to match my 15 year old red paint, so I did them in matte black using Krylon paint from wally world. Off the shelf plastic adhesive primer and just continued with the black. Came out really well. A lot of proper prep work (as already stated on here) is the key to a good finished product. Black might look good on yours.

Reactions: Apparition
I've had very good results with rattle cans. I did these flares years ago when I was converting my LJ into a pickup and they held up very well:

View attachment 156455

And recently I did this CJ/JL-style TJ grille with rattle cans.

View attachment 156456

Color on both is an exact match for the factory color.

One thing I highly recommend is doing a very durable clear coat over the rattle can color. The best way to do that with rattle cans is to use a 2k (2 component) clear like this one from Eastwood: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s...zlXXMFxQuK_Z-Uc95KWsIC7ykQWpnvmYaAhuOEALw_wcB or the SprayMax clear posted by @CodaMan earlier in this thread. These come in a special can which provides for mixing the two components before spraying and as a catalyzed finish it's very durable.
I did my half doors (black) with rattle can universal black from Auto zone. I spent a little time wet sanding and was shocked at how well it came out. Looks OEM from 20'. I was tempted to do my one fender flare (Sahara) as well but was afraid of sanding something not flat. I assume you wet sanded those? Did it go smoothly (no pun intended)?

I did my half doors (black) with rattle can universal black from Auto zone. I spent a little time wet sanding and was shocked at how well it came out. Looks OEM from 20'. I was tempted to do my one fender flare (Sahara) as well but was afraid of sanding something not flat. I assume you wet sanded those? Did it go smoothly (no pun intended)?
I sanded the factory paint on the flares with 400 grit before applying primer and paint - perfecting the surface before painting is critical to a good final result. After the clear cured, I buffed the surface. The grille I posted the photo of has not been buffed, it is shown as painted with nothing done after shooting the clear.

FlarePrimed_zpswepsqeas.jpg