Rattle can paint job

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Thinking of painting my 2000 Wrangler with some rattle cans. Am thinking of using black and was wondering if anyone here had done that and wondered if y’all had pictures of it. Also, any tips would help.

• Wow
Reactions: suicideking
I had a 1974 FJ40 that I painted with rattle cans. I washed it, prepped it and masked off all the glass. I don't remember how many cans it took. It came out all right for what it was. It lasted a few years before I sanded the whole thing down an painted it the right way.
Not sure of your location, but maico occasionally runs specials around here for 399.00 paint jobs. If you prep it yourself and bring it to them it will come out decent.
Remove the flares, mirrors, wiper arms and any body trim pieces.

I had a 1974 FJ40 that I painted with rattle cans. I washed it, prepped it and masked off all the glass. I don't remember how many cans it took. It came out all right for what it was. It lasted a few years before I sanded the whole thing down an painted it the right way.
Not sure of your location, but maico occasionally runs specials around here for 399.00 paint jobs. If you prep it yourself and bring it to them it will come out decent.
Remove the flares, mirrors, wiper arms and any body trim pieces.
Good post , not a bad suggestion.

My 06 Rubi has been shot with someone's bed liner, gun grade , at a body shop.

It looks amazing, people rave about it , and it is effortless to maintain.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Once over with sand paper. Scratch the hell out of it.
If using rattle can you'll be much happier if you do a flat black.
Flat black hides imperfections much better.

Durability? Depends on how many coats and brand of paint. I'm very serious. Dollar store not so long.
Rustoleum...krylon....lots of coats. Not too close either.

Good luck

Reactions: Zorba
Once over with sand paper. Scratch the hell out of it.
If using rattle can you'll be much happier if you do a flat black.
Flat black hides imperfections much better.

Durability? Depends on how many coats and brand of paint. I'm very serious. Dollar store not so long.
Rustoleum...krylon....lots of coats. Not too close either.

Good luck
Good post. Sem satin trim paint would be good, but nearly $20 a can.

We BRUSH painted a '63 GMC 1 ton with RustOleum in about 1977. Came out surprisingly well...
Camel hair brush and heated paint is how they use to hand paint the old bright red double decker buses in London England I am sure many used to brush paint vehicles years ago in US but nobody would have the patience these days to get a good finish when a rattle can is instant.

Camel hair brush and heated paint is how they use to hand paint the old bright red double decker buses in London England I am sure many used to brush paint vehicles years ago in US but nobody would have the patience these days to get a good finish when a rattle can is instant.
We can't get a house painter sober long enough.

I used rattle cans on my hood, front fenders and grill. Duplicolor... it was 3 cans just for my hood... and I could have used a 4th. Takes more than you think. I just masked it all off... sanded it down, 2 coats primer, 3 coats colour, 3 coats of clear coat. Looks good... a few of my learnings... I didn’t sand fine enough and some marks are still evident, buy more than you need... you can alway return it... take time to prep... that is 90% of the time... the spray is the payoff...
42FD95A4-B9E3-492C-9B04-67F7333F69C0.jpeg

I used rattle cans on my hood, front fenders and grill. Duplicolor... it was 3 cans just for my hood... and I could have used a 4th. Takes more than you think. I just masked it all off... sanded it down, 2 coats primer, 3 coats colour, 3 coats of clear coat. Looks good... a few of my learnings... I didn’t sand fine enough and some marks are still evident, buy more than you need... you can alway return it... take time to prep... that is 90% of the time... the spray is the payoff...View attachment 195502
Looks good.

Reactions: Stretch
There were people who didn't believe it - it looked great at stage distances. However, by about 1979 or so, the paint was BADLY oxidized... School bus orangish-yellow!
I rattle canned my old 92 CBR F2 back in the day. Passed the 50/50 test. Similar to the stage distance.

50 feet at 50 mph.

Reactions: Zorba
Also, did y’all do it inside a garage? I’m wondering because I know it probably can’t be done in one day.