Rattle / pinging noise coming from under middle of Jeep

First of all I have worked as a professional mechanic so let me give you a little background.

My 2003 Rubicon has a flared fitting the pipe goes up and connects to the exhaust manifold it does not accept any type of donut Gasket.

It has a Flowmaster system so this may be part of that system and not part of the stock configuration.

This exhaust was on the Jeep when I purchased it and it runs great and it sounds great so I have stuck with it.

Bear in mind the system itself maybe 14 or 15 years old.... And the flaring could have even been done in a shop at the time of install.

Reactions: garet f
Because of the flare it didn't even make much noise when it was loose.

Essentially it's been designed like a gas fitting.

Reactions: garet f
Using a clean shop vac for finding exhaust leaks is my preferred way.

Andy,
Basically you have a new vehicle. There is no such thing that there is no donut gasket between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. If you made that hard determination that this donut doesn't exist, I would like to know how you made this determination. Every vehicle has them up to and including my 2016 Silverado. I'm starting to wonder what exactly you are looking at. If there was no donut seal between these joints, there would be a helluva noise that most drivers would not tolerate. Andy ,what are you looking at?

The 2000+ TJ's are different. They have two precats inside the downpipe (or mid-pipe) that comes off the exhaust header. Each precat services 3 cylinders. The 2 mini cats come stock without gaskets, just flanges, where they connect to the exhaust manifold.

The 2000+ TJ's are different. They have two precats inside the downpipe (or mid-pipe) that comes off the exhaust header. Each precat services 3 cylinders. The 2 mini cats come stock without gaskets, just flanges, where they connect to the exhaust manifold.

Andy,
I was never aware of this technology and forgive me for making the statements I did previously. But again I have to ask you, if you worked for so long as a professional mechanic, why are you asking these types of questions ? In my opinion, a professional mechanic would diagnose and solve this type of problem and put it in his history books. Am I missing something ?

Andy,
I was never aware of this technology and forgive me for making the statements I did previously. But again I have to ask you, if you worked for so long as a professional mechanic, why are you asking these types of questions ? In my opinion, a professional mechanic would diagnose and solve this type of problem and put it in his history books. Am I missing something ?
Andy, I have spent over 50 years in the power generation and auto mechanical fields.I have torn down all types of engines and transmissions, rebuilt them and have them function properly again. You as a stated professional mechanic, that has to go on a website asking about how to solve a rattling exhaust system problem. In no disrespect, what kind of a professional mechanic are you ?

Andy, I have spent over 50 years in the power generation and auto mechanical fields.I have torn down all types of engines and transmissions, rebuilt them and have them function properly again. You as a stated professional mechanic, that has to go on a website asking about how to solve a rattling exhaust system problem. In no disrespect, what kind of a professional mechanic are you ?

Andy is not the original poster asking for help. He was only responding trying to help.

Andy is not the original poster asking for help. He was only responding trying to help.
If I missed this response from you, I never intended to harm anyone in this verbal transaction. Maybe misread things but never to harm anyone in anyway. Very sorry if I ruffled any feathers, and deeply regret ever getting into this. I will think twice before ever getting into anyone's problems in the future.

If I missed this response from you, I never intended to harm anyone in this verbal transaction. Maybe misread things but never to harm anyone in anyway. Very sorry if I ruffled any feathers, and deeply regret ever getting into this. I will think twice before ever getting into anyone's problems in the future.

No worries pocojo! We are all here to learn from each other. I learn something from the guys on here almost every day, and I'm sure I could learn something from you as well. I was actually in Stroudsburg when I was a kid and rode a train there from what I recall. Is that still operational? Had some relatives near Harrisburg.

No worries pocojo! We are all here to learn from each other. I learn something from the guys on here almost every day, and I'm sure I could learn something from you as well. I was actually in Stroudsburg when I was a kid and rode a train there from what I recall. Is that still operational? Had some relatives near Harrisburg.
Yes,that steam train still runs here and I don't really know its schedule but it shouldn't be hard to find out. on another note , Im 70 years old and know how to time and set up these duplex double acting steam engines that drive these great machines. I wish you would find someone with my capabilities and hook me up with him if there are anyone still alive at this point in time. These trains and the odor of hot oil and steam is what makes them so magical. They should be visited soon as I don't think there will be many people who will still appreciate things like these . Thanks for listening ,
JoeL

Reactions: mots
Yes,that steam train still runs here and I don't really know its schedule but it shouldn't be hard to find out. on another note , Im 70 years old and know how to time and set up these duplex double acting steam engines that drive these great machines. I wish you would find someone with my capabilities and hook me up with him if there are anyone still alive at this point in time. These trains and the odor of hot oil and steam is what makes them so magical. They should be visited soon as I don't think there will be many people who will still appreciate things like these . Thanks for listening ,
JoeL

JoeL
I have to correct what I previously stated about the trains. They have some trains here but they are diesel/electric. The true real steam engines will have to be experienced in steam town up near Scranton. Sorry.