Rausch Creek - Badge Trails and challenging trails

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Had plans to meet up with some guys to wheel the 3 badge trails at Rausch Creek and hit some hard black trails. Met them through a facebook group for meeting people to wheel with at the park. They insisted on an early start. I woke up at 5 and had my youngest and I on the road before 6am. I text them before 8 saying that I'm unloading and will be ready in 5 minutes. The respond that they are beat from the day before and won't be there for an hour or two and not looking to do hard trails. #%&*!!!! Luckily there was the local off road training company running a private ride. I was able to join up to make it a 3 Jeep group. Throughout the day the guide would help the other Jeep through many of the obstacles. He would look at me with a thumbs up. I was able to tackle the hardest lines on all of the trails. Off camber still gets me nervous. We ran some severely off camber sections so I got more and more comfortable. We did end up running two of the badge trails. One I did a few weeks ago so it wasn't hard. The other I was shocked is a badge trail. I thought it was more of a green or access road trail. The one section is known for testing flex. It's a gully with humps.

At the end we did a hump in the competition course that I wasn't comfortable with. It's a very steep up then immediate very steep down. Did it twice to get more comfortable. Lessons learned from the trip:
* Give my kid(s) a job to keep them engaged. My older son is a good spotter. My younger son loved taking pictures and videos.
* I need limiting straps on the rear. During the Trail 11 flex section I was binding a bit.
* A day on the trails with my son is something we can enjoy together.

IMG_0353.JPG
Trail11Flex.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG