Re-gear and Front Carrier

P1W

I'm having my rig re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56. Dana 44 in back and 30 up front. An ARB locker will be installed in the back only. I'm being given the option of a new carrier up front or a limited slip up front for about $150 more. Seems like a no brainer to me, but I wanted to check with those with more experience. Any reason not to do this (besides the additional $150)?

It's like this...
Rear LS/open fr=marginally better traction than open/open

Rear locker/open fr=significantly more traction than above

Rear locker/fr locker = if there is any traction remaining you'll find it (Within the tires capabilities)

How much more for a second ARB?

Trust me...there is no substitute for a true locker.

If you had to wait two months for more funds to be locked front and back...wait.

No substitute for a true locker.
The carrier is $150 and a LSD would be $300. Locker up front would be $1000 with no installation fee. So either way I'm walking out of this spending a minimum of $150 for the carrier. If you think about it, the locker would be $850 more than that.

A limited slip is great for slick flat road surface conditions, like pavement or a basically FLAT offroad trail. But once the offroad trail gets uneven enough to lift a tire off the ground that is on an axle with a LSD, the LSD basically becomes useless.

Personally I'd install a lunchbox locker up front and NOT a limited slip. A front-axle lunchbox locker is very well behaved when you're on the street in 2wd, it only locks up firmly when you're in 4Hi or 4Lo. At the most they only click/ratchet a bit during turns when you're in 2wd on the street, An Aussie lunchbox locker up front would be a great choice. If you want your lunchbox locker to be silent when you're in 2wd on the street you can pay around $80 more and get the "No-Slip" lunchbox locker made by Powertrax.

Reactions: hosejockey61
In before somebody asks "what size tire."

In before somebody asks "which transmission."

I am in the same thought of get a lunch box locker up front. You don't need a new carrier as 3:73 is the carrier break for your Dana 30.

The carrier is $150 and a LSD would be $300. Locker up front would be $1000 with no installation fee. So either way I'm walking out of this spending a minimum of $150 for the carrier. If you think about it, the locker would be $850 more than that.
I'd wait and get locked up front too.
I promise you being this close to locked up front and going LS...

You'll rue the day you made this decision.

Lock the front too!!

Good luck

Why? He's talking close to 5 bills for that...

He's getting a re gear done up front...
Ssssoooo close to getting a second ARB.

Do it!!!
YWill of course I agree with an ARB but he said he was in $150 for a carrier which he shouldn't be. If pockets are deep, go ARB if you plan to go off-road. If not, do whatever else I guess😁

It's so easy to spend other people's money.

I'm having my rig re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56. Dana 44 in back and 30 up front. An ARB locker will be installed in the back only. I'm being given the option of a new carrier up front or a limited slip up front for about $150 more. Seems like a no brainer to me, but I wanted to check with those with more experience. Any reason not to do this (besides the additional $150)?
I've got the same plans except with 4.88's
If that's all you need then I'd say go for it!

I think the carrier break on the 30 is 3.54 and down and 3.73 and up. If that is correct, then there’s no reason to get a new carrier. Skip the LS and go lunchbox locker or full case locker like arb or Eaton e-locker.

FYI the powertrax no slip is back ordered until at least August.

I've got the same plans except with 4.88's
If that's all you need then I'd say go for it!
I appreciate everyones input and advice. I decided to pull the trigger on the ARB up front. I considered the lunchbox, but I don't like the idea of the front being locked whenever I'm in 4wd. I like having the option of deciding when I want the locker engaged. The only issue left is figuring out how to pay for all of this....it's going to cost about half of what I paid for the rig 3 years ago. Guess I can cut back on meals for a few years!

Haha I'm in the saving mode too. This has been one of my favorites so far..

top ramen.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
IDK. Looks pricey.
the little oil "flavor" packet is oddly worth the extra $0,50 and if you slim down to two meals a day they last much longer.

When I say "they" I'm talking about the bulk Costco pallet you'll be buying to last you till 2022..