Re-gear

Shwane

Backcountry Jeeper
Supporting Member
So I got a quote from an offroad shop here locally.

Dana 30 master install kit $104.99
Dana 44 master install kit $118.99

Dana 44 4.56 ring and pinion $191.99
Dana 30 4.56 ring and pinion $180.99

Labor $75 @ 6 hours

roughly 1100 after taxes

To have a warranty on the hardware and labor is worth that to me to keep from having to do it myself. Is this an average price you guys are seeing? I only have a handful of shops that I would trust to do this around here. And I've narrowed it down to these guys. The first 2 said I don't need carriers or thicker gears for the Dana 44 coming from 3.73 to 4.56 so naturally they've been scratched off the list. And frankly, these guys didn't mention it either, but I've seen their work at all the jeep functions and its top notch as well as a couple of first hand accounts in dealing with them. This was talking to a salesman as well, so maybe his knowledge base doesn't cover Tj's.

1100 sounds like a great deal based on other quotes people have posted on various websites. You definitely do need either thick gear set or carrier swap for the 44.

Good price compared to the $1914 I was quoted

I'd say thats a great price. Might want to check who the parts are made by.
Install.... it is not like changing a tire. Unless you have some experience with gearing.. and the tools, 6 hours at $75 is a bargain.

$1100 is a smoking deal, you don't read about pricing that low much any more.

What size tires are you regearing for? And what engine & transmission do you have?

Reactions: Rob5589
I'd say thats a great price. Might want to check who the parts are made by.
Install.... it is not like changing a tire. Unless you have some experience with gearing.. and the tools, 6 hours at $75 is a bargain.
6 hrs at 75 per hr, not 75 total. Which is pretty damn good. We were charging 450 for frt and rear 25+ years ago.

I installed lots of different brands and honestly, all were good. Some were better suited to certain duties, eg; towing, racing, etc, but all were quality sets.
X2, I've never heard of a bad R&P brand to avoid. Some are easier to set up than others but so far as I as a non-expert know, they're all fine. My first choice of gears would be Revolution Gear but I wouldn't refuse a different brand if I couldn't get RG.

Nice!! That's the last spendy item I need to get before the LS2 swap happens. I've got everything I need except the adapter to go from the NV3550 to Muncie bellhousing and the new pilot bushing. Also waiting on my becool radiator. I'm going to try to run the ECM from the jeep along with the donor system to see if I can keep my gauges. It's how Novak does it, if not, I'll just make a custom bezel to go in the dash.

Can't wait. 10.9:1 compression. Holly Dominator EFI system. Dual sync distributor. Custom ground cam. It's gonna be an animal.

Reactions: LCL-Dead and tman66