Re-geared, now I have a vibration above 50 mph

Harmonic vibrations can be a real bitch to solve. Reminds me of when the Harley aftermarket first came out with a 6 speed tranny for rubber mounted FL frames. They worked perfectly but had a harmonic drone that was unacceptable. They finally figured it out but I never heard what solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes me wonder why Jeep had to add a harmonic balancer at the end of the TC output shaft. I had to remove it to install the SYE.

Harmonic vibrations can be a real bitch to solve. Reminds me of when the Harley aftermarket first came out with a 6 speed tranny for rubber mounted FL frames. They worked perfectly but had a harmonic drone that was unacceptable. They finally figured it out but I never heard what solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they changed to a helical gear cut in 2010 that finally solved the problem.

Please do. I'm sure most of you think I'm just being super anal and it's just a jeep for heck sake. Deal with it, right?
Not at all. I have been there and even small sounds that can be muted by a radio will drive me insane in a daily driver. I guess its the OCD in me but I 100% understand where you are coming from.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Please do. I'm sure most of you think I'm just being super anal and it's just a jeep for heck sake. Deal with it, right?

Deal! Mine has a vibe with the hard top on at 60-70 mph. Driving from here to Winnamucca Nv numerous times, It’s in the steering wheel and other plastic pieces. That long drive it drives me crazy that’s why we take my wife’s ML. It will be interesting to compare

It makes me wonder why Jeep had to add a harmonic balancer at the end of the TC output shaft. I had to remove it to install the SYE.
But the vibes came after the regear, before the SYE. I still think it’s something in the gears

What I’m saying is I have read through this thread, 10-15 other threads on this forum, countless other threads on other forums, spoke to half a dozen people or so at different Jeep events. Have driven in three different Jeeps in my area in local Jeep clubs that all have this vibration. There appears to be a few things in common from my observation. They all have 4:56 gears or lower, 33 in or so tires, and the 4 speed auto. I personally have not spoken to or heard of anyone with this issue with a stick, 3 speed auto, or anyone running a 35 in or larger tire.

I have:
4:88
3spd auto
Metalcloak 3.5 lift
35" tires
Harmonic vibration

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn Bob, I didn't realize until just now that you have been chasing down this problem for over a year now! I can only imagine your frustration. FWIW, all the hell that I went through this last 7 months in performing my Jeep's excorcism, I have a light vibe between 25-35mph now :(

Damn Bob, I didn't realize until just now that you have been chasing down this problem for over a year now! I can only imagine your frustration. FWIW, all the hell that I went through this last 7 months in performing my Jeep's excorcism, I have a light vibe between 25-35mph now :(

This month makes it 2 years I've been chasing this debil! Finding out some interesting results though with all these pinion angle changes. Just went full retard and sucked the pinion down to -6.0*. Stay tuned.

@bobthetj03 - it still vibrates with one of the shafts out too, correct?

With the front DS out I lose the physical vibe at 65-75mph. At 50-55mph, I still have a harmonic, although it is more faint than with the front DS installed. I'm doing what I should have done from the beginning and tackling one drive line at a time hoping I can make the rear happy first, then move to the front.

Reactions: Alex01
Adjusted the front pinion tonight. Lengthened the uppers and have the pinion 1.0* higher than the front DS. No change.