Re-gearing advice for 35s, 42RLE transmission, and lockers

I have been a little over 90 mph with 35s and 5.38s and still had pedal. How fast do you need?
Hi all. I’m a newbie here on the site so not sure if I’m even posting in the right area?! Lol. Glad to be here nonetheless. Just following up with this thread about Dana 30/44. I’m beyond ready for a gear swap from 3.73 to the maximum of 5.13 for my 4.0, 42RLE on 35’s. Not a “certified” mechanic but always been a diy, meticulous mechanic. Is a home gear swap do-able for a mechanically inclined person? If not suggested, what is a excellent shop in middle TN? Mr. Brianj5600, or anyone, any suggestions or know how? I’ve got the barn! Lol. Thanks all!

Hi all. I’m a newbie here on the site so not sure if I’m even posting in the right area?! Lol. Glad to be here nonetheless. Just following up with this thread about Dana 30/44. I’m beyond ready for a gear swap from 3.73 to the maximum of 5.13 for my 4.0, 42RLE on 35’s. Not a “certified” mechanic but always been a diy, meticulous mechanic. Is a home gear swap do-able for a mechanically inclined person? If not suggested, what is a excellent shop in middle TN? Mr. Brianj5600, or anyone, any suggestions or know how? I’ve got the barn! Lol. Thanks all!.

There is a current thread about gear changes is Middle Tennessee. I did my own. It isn't really too hard with internet help. It sucks putting it together, checking pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart. The hard part is not settling on close. What area are you in middle TN?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RonnieS and Alex01
There is a current thread about gear changes is Middle Tennessee. I did my own. It isn't really too hard with internet help. It sucks putting it together, checking pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart, put it together, check pattern, take it apart. The hard part is not settling on close. What area are you in middle TN?
Lol. Late reply here 🙄. I’m thinking I’m going to set up my own gears. 5.13’s. Just have to decide on Revolution or Yukon and some sort of aggressive rear LS in the 44. I’m in Crossville area. Thanks for the reply Brianj5600
If I could get some help moving my posts over to the latest tj gearing thread, would be appreciated anyone!

Go for the RGA gears, you'll know you're getting the top quality gears from Circle K. It's a crap shoot with Yukon who sources from multiple manufacturers, you never know who or where their gears are coming from.

Last edited:
Go for the RGA gears, you'll know you're getting the top quality gears from Circle K. It's a crap shoot with Yukon who sources from multiple manufacturers, you never know who or where their gears are coming from.
Hi Mr Jerry! Thank you for the reply! Been watching your posts and WOW, you know a tj inside and out! Sounds like those gears are the way to go. $$$ has been fairly tight anymore but I figure if I have to spend a hundred bucks on a new 44 carrier that I may as well look into a reasonable priced auto locker or LS. Any ideas? Thanks again and great to finally be on the site. Here’s my 100% diy-er toy!
AB079489-95F7-4A97-9F59-9FA8AC858283.jpeg

I've been looking to get the thick cut RGA gears for my 04 LJ, but everytime I check their site they seem to be out of stock. Even tried sending an email and got no response. Anyone know what's going on with all that?

I've been looking to get the thick cut RGA gears for my 04 LJ, but everytime I check their site they seem to be out of stock. Even tried sending an email and got no response. Anyone know what's going on with all that?
Hey JpZombie. I emailed them earlier this week and had a response within about a couple hours. I’ve always been curious on the difference with the thick cut gears.

Hey JpZombie. I emailed them earlier this week and had a response within about a couple hours. I’ve always been curious on the difference with the thick cut gears.

Hmm, interesting. My understanding with the thick cut gears you can use your stock carrier. I'm not looking to add lockers at this time. So I'd rather go with the thick cut gears so I don't have to buy new open carriers to match the higher (numerically) gears. I'm looking to go to 5:13s.

Hmm, interesting. My understanding with the thick cut gears you can use your stock carrier. I'm not looking to add lockers at this time. So I'd rather go with the thick cut gears so I don't have to buy new open carriers to match the higher (numerically) gears. I'm looking to go to 5:13s.
I’ll have to check that out. I would like to have something in the 44 just so it doesn’t have to be cracked open again. Glad I canceled the 4.56 gears I had ordered. 5.13’s here too, after reading up on the site with real world Jeepers experiences. Two fairly good shops already have told me that 4.88’s are way overkill 🙄. Even after explaining I have .69 overdrive 42RLE

RGA messaged me back via FB today, they said that thick 5.13s are not in stock and they have no eta.