Re-gearing questions / advice

Medali

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everybody.
I have a 2002 jeep wrangler sport 4.0 Automatic
My rear Axle ratio is 3.07
I have 33'' wheels ( 33/10.5/15) and i just ordered 33/12.5/15 wheels.
I have to change my ratio axle
1/ What do you recommend to me... Ratio 4.11 or ratio 4.56 ( speedo gear 35 or 39) ?
2/ Do i have to change only the rear axle ratio or i must change also front axle ratio ?
Thank you in advance

For 33" tires and your 3-speed 32RH automatic, you want 4.10 gearing. Yes you must regear both axles or you wouldn't be able to shift into 4x4.

I'd only regear to 4.56 if 35" tires are definitely in your future.

Thanks you again Jerry ...
Just to be sûre that I am not wrong... It's the orange speedo gear with 35 teeth for the rear axle... ? And for the front axle it should be the same...?
Thanks

Screenshot_20180514-191611.jpg

Thanks you again Jerry ...
Just to be sûre that I am not wrong... It's the orange speedo gear with 35 teeth for the rear axle... ? And for the front axle it should be the same...?
Thanks
For 33's and 4.10 gearing, you want a 36 tooth speedometer gear, not 35. The speedometer gear chart at http://www.4x4xplor.com/speedo.html is GPS verified and accurate. Yes the front and rear axles must be geared the same. Which includes the 4.10/4.11 combination the front and rear axles will end up with. The front and rear axle ratios are usually .01 apart due to the different ring gear diameters used in the front and rear axles. Only Rubicons with matching f/r Dana 44 axles have f/r axle ratios that match exactly.

Last edited:
I have your exact same setup. I put on 33”s, did an axle swap and put on 4.10 gears in the back. I got the orange 35 tooth speedo gear and everything is perfect. Did a SYE while I was at it.

I’m not sure how accurate my phone GPS speedometer app is, but my Jeep speed and GPS speed match no matter how fast I’m going.

Now I just have to finish the Dana 30 HP someone gave me so I can have matching gears front and back.