ReadyBrake

For me, that would be a major issue. I use a half ton Silverado so I need a consistent braking system. I thought about the drilling and tapping to eliminate any movement but still think too many parts is not helping. Thanks for the clarification.

Keep in mind other systems like the Brakebuddy arent any more reliable. This past June I used a Brakebuddy for another trip from central Oregon to Moab. It didn’t work any better as far as consistent activation. If you want a serious supplemental braking system you need a system that ties into the toads vacuum system. I am not willing to spend that kind of money for something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another negative for systems with a compressor like the Brakebuddy, when it’s internal surge sensor activates the pedal pressure, it immediately releases the pedal pressure. It takes about 5 seconds or more for it to pump up and be ready to activate again. A lot of crap can happen after the first emergency braking event and you will not have any supplemental braking during the pump up cycle. The Readybrake will immediately activate every time the toad surges forward, no dead cycle time. There are some very expensive more effective systems out there, but the most common systems on the road are a compromise at best.

I've had good success with the Brake Buddy so far, but like Larry says, they are a compromise at best. Got mine form CL pretty cheap. Might be an optional solution for you to try.

Reactions: BendLarry
I like the idea of drilling and tapping inserts to eliminate play in the connections. Maybe that plus a turnbuckle to perfectly dial in the tension on the cable. If I run across a brake buddy for cheap before I want to tow again, I'd probably do that. Otherwise, I'm probably stuck with the readybrake plus the basic towbar. I think I have this thing set up as well as it can be otherwise. There really doesn't seem to be a better option. My understanding is that the vacuum system are considerably more hassle to hook up and go as well as disconnect and roll the toad. Apparently, we're primarily doing this for insurance coverage anyway.

I like the idea of drilling and tapping inserts to eliminate play in the connections. Maybe that plus a turnbuckle to perfectly dial in the tension on the cable. If I run across a brake buddy for cheap before I want to tow again, I'd probably do that. Otherwise, I'm probably stuck with the readybrake plus the basic towbar. I think I have this thing set up as well as it can be otherwise. There really doesn't seem to be a better option. My understanding is that the vacuum system are considerably more hassle to hook up and go as well as disconnect and roll the toad. Apparently, we're primarily doing this for insurance coverage anyway.

After taken two 1800 mile plus trips towing with a Readybrake and a Brakebuddy I can assure you neither supplemental braking system does anything but keep you legal and your insurance company happy. Unless the system has vacuum assist you get very little braking. Roll down a hill with your engine off ( no vacuum assist) and see what happens when you apply the brakes. I had both systems activate several times but neither lightened the braking load to any noticeable degree. It all comes down to how often you tow, and how much money you want to spend.

I have also been looking into a supplemental breaking system for my Jeep, mostly to keep it legal while towing and to avoid any possible insurance issues should there be a problem.

My tow rig is an F-250 diesel with a Tow/Haul Mode and transmission/engine braking, so any supplemental braking system would be mostly for show since my tow rig should have ZERO problems with the Jeep attached in any situation. Am I wrong in thinking like this?

I have also been looking into a supplemental breaking system for my Jeep, mostly to keep it legal while towing and to avoid any possible insurance issues should there be a problem.

My tow rig is an F-250 diesel with a Tow/Haul Mode and transmission/engine braking, so any supplemental braking system would be mostly for show since my tow rig should have ZERO problems with the Jeep attached in any situation. Am I wrong in thinking like this?

Nope.

Reactions: CodaMan
Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone is getting rid of their Ready Brake system let me know, I may be interested.

Mine is for sale on Craigslist right now $150. I have a new un-cut in the bag cable. It also has the brake away gizmo. Buyer pays shipping.

f2a98dd100a570ca4db26dcee94fd2aa.jpg

I wouldn't worry about braking at all, except for legalities, if I had a rig like that.

Reactions: CodaMan
My truck is 2002 F250 7.3 with a light truck camper. I couldn't really tell the toad was back there. Pulled the hills fine, brakes fine, same fuel mileage. I noticed it mostly going from Bishop to Mammoth Fairly steep, long run. Going to add a trans cooler for next year, maybe some intake and exhaust as well.

@squ
My truck is 2002 F250 7.3 with a light truck camper. I couldn't really tell the toad was back there. Pulled the hills fine, brakes fine, same fuel mileage. I noticed it mostly going from Bishop to Mammoth Fairly steep, long run. Going to add a trans cooler for next year, maybe some intake and exhaust as well.

Were you using any kind of supplemental braking system on the Jeep?

Last edited:
One of the biggest disappointments for me with the most common supplemental braking systems out there is, that when you are going down a very long very steep grade, you are not getting any help with the braking. I have a tpms monitoring system in my coach and you would be amazed how hot your tires get from the heat from the brakes. I’m sure that no matter what you are using as a towing vehicle, it’s brakes are wearing much faster from the weight of the toad pushing the towing vehicle.

One of the biggest disappointments for me with the most common supplemental braking systems out there is, that when you are going down a very long very steep grade, you are not getting any help with the braking. I have a tpms monitoring system in my coach and you would be amazed how hot your tires get from the heat from the brakes. I’m sure that no matter what you are using as a towing vehicle, it’s brakes are wearing much faster from the weight of the toad pushing the towing vehicle.

and that's what I like about my F-250 diesel .. I can be going down a 7% grade with my #10,000 trailer and I don't even need the brakes other than to start the transmission/engine braking. Once it's kicked down I'm good.