Really Bright LED Reverse Lights in Stock Housing

They are bright! I saw someone installed a light above the brake light and just wired them in. That looked like a good idea. The factory ones are so dull I can’t see a damn thing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find some of those 41mm cones? A quick Google search isn't finding me much.

Sweet... those are the same ones that got delivered today. Can’t wait to try them.

Just replaced the reverse lights (1156) with the ones BlueRidge304 recommended from amazon. While I was back there I went ahead and replaced the taillights (1157) with same brand. I swapped out the flasher relay to keep the turn signal from going into hyper flash, which I purchased from RockAuto. P/N TRD LM470 for $9.15 plus 2.99 shipping.

I went to rock auto for the flasher relay mainly because of all the mixed reviews I read. Several reviewers complained that the clicking sound wouldn’t stop for a couple seconds after the turn was made and others added that if the turn signal was flashing when the Jeep was turned off, it would keep flashing indefinitely and drain the battery. So far so good but I’ll report back if this relay goes south on me.

As far as the replacement LED’s, they are bright but I had the same problem with how the reverse lights were installed at the factory. I decided to create a reflector around the reverse LED’s using foil duct tape, but the roll apparently grew legs and walked off somewhere.

However, I found some scrap pieces of Dynamat, which has a shiny foil backing. I cut five or six pieces and affixed them to the flat surfaces surrounding the reverse lights in the the top part of each housing. It made a huge difference.
1670BBAC-A52F-4BBF-A1CF-E0879014AC6E.jpeg
5524A251-C484-43CB-8CA2-5BFB24FFDC43.jpeg

1670BBAC-A52F-4BBF-A1CF-E0879014AC6E.jpeg

Reactions: StG58
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@jjvw nice job! It's funny, for the past 2-3 weeks or so, I've been meaning to sit down and think up a way to do just that. Well, not that exactly, but to beef up my reverse lights while keeping it contained in the OE housing. I like how you went about it. I can't imagine the light getting anymore focused than that! Well done.
I always like seeing diy projects like this.

Reactions: jjvw
I won't do this. But I've always wanted a switch for my backup lights. So I can flash drivers that ride my ass at 80 mph on LA freeways.

Usually they are racing someone. Or just being an a**hole. I can't tell you how dangerous it is driving on LA freeways sometimes. People literally race at over 100 mph. Often travelling in packs of 3 or more. And no I don't do 40 in the fast lane. This is in all other lanes. It's crazy. Makes you feel very unsafe. When these a**hats pull up on your rear at a 110 mph and then stop within inches of your bumper. While your doing the flow of traffic at 80. And then ride your a** until they can find a way to dangerously cut in front of you.

I don't do 80 in my Jeep. In my Jeep I stay in the slow lane at 65 or 70. LA traffic has been listed as the worst in the US for a few years now. It used to be NY.

Maybe doing this on surface streets at slower speeds would be ok. But I would never do it. Just always wish I had some bright lights to throw in their faces. Just to warn them of how unsafe they are being. Rant off. lol.

I have the reverse leds someplace in my garage. Was hoping to get some of my LED's installed today. Maybe I'll start with the reverse lights. If I can find them! lol.

@jjvw nice job! It's funny, for the past 2-3 weeks or so, I've been meaning to sit down and think up a way to do just that. Well, not that exactly, but to beef up my reverse lights while keeping it contained in the OE housing. I like how you went about it. I can't imagine the light getting anymore focused than that! Well done.
I always like seeing diy projects like this.

They are still working well many years later.

Reactions: bedhed
For making my brake and running lights brighter I lined the bulb housing with high intensity reflective sheeting like what is used on traffic signs. Not as good as the led bulbs I suppose, bit worked well for me. You can probably get scarp pieces from a sign shop for free.

Reactions: Fixer6
For making my brake and running lights brighter I lined the bulb housing with high intensity reflective sheeting like what is used on traffic signs. Not as good as the led bulbs I suppose, bit worked well for me. You can probably get scarp pieces from a sign shop for free.

Mylar tape works well too.

Reactions: Fixer6
I used this it just plugged straight it like a normal bayonet fitting bulb...Huge difference when I'm backing up.
View attachment 50774
View attachment 50775
I have had something similar to these in the JKU as well as the Audis and the difference is great. Plus no flickering.

great mod btw OP. This can probably work to add additional lights while backing up or move the lights closer to the ground.

I won't do this. But I've always wanted a switch for my backup lights. So I can flash drivers that ride my ass at 80 mph on LA freeways.

Usually they are racing someone. Or just being an a**hole. I can't tell you how dangerous it is driving on LA freeways sometimes. People literally race at over 100 mph. Often travelling in packs of 3 or more. And no I don't do 40 in the fast lane. This is in all other lanes. It's crazy. Makes you feel very unsafe. When these a**hats pull up on your rear at a 110 mph and then stop within inches of your bumper. While your doing the flow of traffic at 80. And then ride your a** until they can find a way to dangerously cut in front of you.

I don't do 80 in my Jeep. In my Jeep I stay in the slow lane at 65 or 70. LA traffic has been listed as the worst in the US for a few years now. It used to be NY.

Maybe doing this on surface streets at slower speeds would be ok. But I would never do it. Just always wish I had some bright lights to throw in their faces. Just to warn them of how unsafe they are being. Rant off. lol.

I have the reverse leds someplace in my garage. Was hoping to get some of my LED's installed today. Maybe I'll start with the reverse lights. If I can find them! lol.
Reminds me of the New England corridor once you go past Connecticut. It becomes the fast and the angry real quick.

Mylar tape works well too.
It may be the same thing, but I put in the led bulbs and lined the entire housing including the divider with foil tape used for duct work. Then cleaned it with a little bit of chrome polish I had laying around. Super shiny surfaces inside the housings made all the brighter bulbs really bright. After driving through a gate, I set the e-brake and put it in reverse to clearly see everything easily. Same with hooking up the different trailers. Thank you

I apologize for this being a question on your older post. Did you have any issues with your turn signals not functioning properly?

I’ve done the same thing in my TJ and several other vehicles without causing any issues with turn signals or other problems. Straight LED swaps are also fine with various running lights (e.g. pick-up cab lights and most license plate lamps (not the TJ because the plate is lit by the combo brake-turn-marker bulb). I believe the flasher issue is only a created if you replace your turn signal bulbs with LED and don’t put in some sort of in line resistor. LED headlight conversions also require adapter.

I’ve done the same thing in my TJ and several other vehicles without causing any issues with turn signals or other problems. Straight LED swaps are also fine with various running lights (e.g. pick-up cab lights and most license plate lamps (not the TJ because the plate is lit by the combo brake-turn-marker bulb). I believe the flasher issue is only a created if you replace your turn signal bulbs with LED and don’t put in some sort of in line resistor. LED headlight conversions also require adapter.

Thank you

Reactions: jjvw and Woodrow

Same, here. LED swaps in my wife's XJ (back-up lights). Affected nothing but being able to see better when backing up. ;)

Reactions: Woodrow
Does anyone know of any tests between led styles sold online? Like which bulb is brightest?

I see the ones with the most little square lights and then the ones with the large glass fisheye bulb on the end.

I also remember seeing ways to brighten the reflector inside the housing. I recall guys using foil to improve the reflection. Any other tricks?

I researched and bought a set from amazon. But it was a long time ago. Can not find them now for the life of me.