Really Have To Laugh At This

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
Label from a forged steel eye Bolt rated at 3K lbs. What is it used for if you follow the instructions on the label.

Label.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Chris
They had the same label on all the forged eye bolts 1/4" to 1". Thank idiots and lawyers for that label.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
... Thank idiots and lawyers for that label.

Sometimes that is a good thing. That hardware isn't rated for overhead lifting. That warning and lack of a marking will help keep it away from places it doesn't belong and where safety really matters.

Reactions: derekmac
That's good to know. I certainly won't use one of these when I weigh over 500 lbs.
When i used the term 4:1. I was referring to it must withstand 4 times the rated load.

Quite a few years ago when i was a superintendent for a plastering company. The drywall guys overloaded the scaffolding. The employee tried to sue us.

The scaffolding is only "rated" at 25lbs per square foot. After the engineer finished the calculation it failed at 4.10:1 (or something close to it). I do not recall the exact numbers

I will say this when the engineer says it has a saftey factor of X. That is the absolute limit. But they rate things below the safety factor so when it fails they can not be sued unless it fails before the safty factor is exceeded.

Because those eyelets are not for lifting. Im not 100% sure of the safety factor built into them. They might not have one.

Reactions: mrblaine and jjvw
More than likely it does not meet the requirements for lifting / hanging loads. (Typically you must have a 4:1 saftey factor)

However it can be used a a tie down.
Picking nits but the typical for overhead is a 5-1 safety factor to arrive at a Working Load Limit. They could easily be strong enough to work as such but the company doesn't want to go through the testing and certification process for a bolt that doesn't need it since it is being used as a tie down point, recovery point, or anchor point.

Good information. Ill remember that.
Better, the same rules for that eye bolt are the same ones we use for our winches. They do not have a safety factor or a working load limit because they are not to be used for overhead lifting and are not hoists. Once someone can get that into their head and understand it, they can stop collecting specifications and mixing up industry rules.