Really Off-Road in a Subaru

I've seen some people do some pretty crazy stuff in a Subaru.

While I would never use one for this purpose, I can tell you that our 2015 Outback was arguably the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned. I absolutely love that thing. It pained me to have to sell it, but with 3 little kids, the backseat simply wasn't big enough and we had to get a minivan. However, one day when the kids are older, we'll definitely return to a Subaru for our daily driver.

How are you liking yours @cliffish?

I love my Subi's! This is not a surprise, they have been working with Bell for a number of years and Subarus parent company is Fuji, which built a couple of acft for the Japenese during WWII. Work on a subi and you will see aviation standards applied to the way things are done. They also have a horizontally opposed engine, like the Porsche and all small GA airplanes.

While I would never use one for this purpose, I can tell you that our 2015 Outback was arguably the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned. I absolutely love that thing. It pained me to have to sell it, but with 3 little kids, the backseat simply wasn't big enough and we had to get a minivan. However, one day when the kids are older, we'll definitely return to a Subaru for our daily driver.

We have had 2 Legacy's, 3 Outback's, 1XV Crosstrek. Current is a 2018 Touring Outback. They are the most sure footed vehicle I have ever owned and darn near bullet proof.

We have had 2 Legacy's, 3 Outback's, 1XV Crosstrek. Current is a 2018 Touring Outback. They are the most sure footed vehicle I have ever owned and darn near bullet proof.

Even driving our 2015 Outback in the snow with all season tires, it was absolute mind blowing how well it performed! This wasn't light snow either.

I don't care what anyone says about Subarus, they build great vehicles!

Reactions: Ericict
Even driving our 2015 Outback in the snow with all season tires, it was absolute mind blowing how well it performed! This wasn't light snow either.

I don't care what anyone says about Subarus, they build great vehicles!
There is a reason you see so many of them in the mountains. I love to ski and for me it made sense to own one. 2 of my daughters own subis now. Which is funny because they hated them growing up and refused to drive "the station wagon" around town.

There is a reason you see so many of them in the mountains. I love to ski and for me it made sense to own one. 2 of my daughters own subis now. Which is funny because they hated them growing up and refused to drive "the station wagon" around town.

Yep, it makes a lot of sense as a vehicle to own in a place where it snows a lot.

I always hated station wagons growing up as well, but I've grown to love them as I've matured.

Yep, it makes a lot of sense as a vehicle to own in a place where it snows a lot.

I always hated station wagons growing up as well, but I've grown to love them as I've matured.
LOL, kids will do that to a man.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Best driving car I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch. I won't even get in my wife's benz anymore. I load the crap out of it at work, get 30+ mpg on trips and is very predictable in any situation. My son feels the same way about his crosstrek. I did drive my friends 3.6 6cyl outback touring and it was soooo nice, but he paid $32K lightly used and I spent about half that used so I am happy.

Reactions: Chris
Best driving car I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch. I won't even get in my wife's benz anymore. I load the crap out of it at work, get 30+ mpg on trips and is very predictable in any situation. My son feels the same way about his crosstrek. I did drive my friends 3.6 6cyl outback touring and it was soooo nice, but he paid $32K lightly used and I spent about half that used so I am happy.
I had the 3.6 in one of my Outbacks and was happy with it but the gas mileage difference wasn't enough to make me get another. I have 2 family members that have the 3.6 and love them, but they don't see the gas milage I do. What year do you have?

I had the 3.6 in one of my Outbacks and was happy with it but the gas mileage difference wasn't enough to make me get another. I have 2 family members that have the 3.6 and love them, but they don't see the gas milage I do. What year do you have?
I bought a 2016 2.5 premium that had 52K on the clock 3 months ago. I have put 5,000 miles on it so far will probably do 15K a year on it.

• Love
I have had two Subarus over the years, a 77 4WD wagon that was incredibly off road capable. I bought some Dick Cepek knobby tires on white spoker wheels (a Subaru Special package at the Dick Cepek retail store in El Cajon, CA) and went anywhere I wanted to. That car was the only reason I was able to drive downhill from Yosemite during a July snowstorm - yes, July! - the CHP had closed the road to all but 4WD vehicles with snow tires. The guy who stopped me couldn't believe that my Subi was 4WD but he had to let me go on. My second Subi was an 86 hatchback in 2WD, nothing special, just a reliable grocery getter for my wife. Never had any complaints with either one.

I have had two Subarus over the years, a 77 4WD wagon that was incredibly off road capable. I bought some Dick Cepek knobby tires on white spoker wheels (a Subaru Special package at the Dick Cepek retail store in El Cajon, CA) and went anywhere I wanted to. That car was the only reason I was able to drive downhill from Yosemite during a July snowstorm - yes, July! - the CHP had closed the road to all but 4WD vehicles with snow tires. The guy who stopped me couldn't believe that my Subi was 4WD but he had to let me go on. My second Subi was an 86 hatchback in 2WD, nothing special, just a reliable grocery getter for my wife. Never had any complaints with either one.
Do you have pics of the 77? I would love to see it. There are a number of crazy mods for the subis out there. Lots of stuff to look at on the net. There are some very capable looking subis with lifts and everything else.

Do you have pics of the 77? I would love to see it. There are a number of crazy mods for the subis out there. Lots of stuff to look at on the net. There are some very capable looking subis with lifts and everything else.

I have pics, but I'll have to wait until I get home from work tonight to dig them out. The only "mods" I did were the tires and wheels, and installing a CB radio. I was pretty cheap back then.

Last fall I rented a Crosstrek at the Phoenix airport and drove it to Lake Apache for a water-ski trip. About 25 miles of that trip is windy dirt roads that are rutted, washboarded & potholed pretty bad. The car had paddle shifters & was a blast to drive, and it handled the dirt roads easily, even with a little speed.
The best part was on the way home, one of the other skiers asked me for a ride to the airport. We had been up late drinkin & partying the night before. Between his hangover and my crazy driving, he had me pull over 3 times so he could Ralph out the car door. Lol

I loved my crosstrek. It was a little underpowered and I needed more room. Paddle shifters were awesome on that car. Drive it like an old two stroke dirt bike keeping it in the power band and it is a hoot to drive.

Reactions: Airjunky
Subarus are definitely great vehicles, especially for snowy/icy climates. It's no wonder you see them all over the place up here in MN. If I ever drove anything other than a Jeep, it would probably be a Subaru Crosstrek. Very capable and they look pretty sharp too.

Bought a new Outback in 97, put 310K on that car, best car we've owned by a long shot.

I couldn't compare a Subaru to a TJ offroad though.....not enough ground clearance and no crawl.

Here are a few subis playing...