Really Off-Road in a Subaru

As promised, here is a pic of my 77 Wagon, on a camping trip in the mountains above Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Park sometime around 1980. For a teeny-tiny little car it was a real beast. If you look closely you can see the "aggressive" tires and white spoke wheels (14x6?) and the CB antenna mounted on the roof My "handle" was Junior Birdman...

subaru.jpg

Last edited:
My parents bought their first Subaru in 1980. The dealer took them on a test ride up a power line covered in snow. It was an easy sell. My family has had at least 8 Subaru's since 1980. They just won't die, but they rust away.

Reactions: Ericict
I have a 2018 Crosstrek. Never thought I'd buy a Subie, but I needed a commuter car.

When I got it I asked my now 14 year old daughter - Do you like it?

Daughter - Why?

Me- You'll drive it in a couple of years.

Daughter - No I won't, hippies/tree huggers drive Subarus. I want a Wrangler.

Me- Point taken. What color do you Jeep do you want?

I have a 2018 Crosstrek. Never thought I'd buy a Subie, but I needed a commuter car. . .

My DD is a 2013 Outback with the manual trans. The short block was replaced under the oil consumption recall warranty at 102k, currently at 124k. I've had a similar discussion about passing it to my 14yo son in a couple years.

Me: it's free, good on gas, sure-footed in the snow, cheap to insure, safe, and cops won't look twice at it.

Him: it's ugly. I'd rather have the Jeep (my LJR) or the Mini (wife's '03 Cooper S fun car)

Me: it's free, cheap, safe, reliable, no attention from cops, only attention from retired art teachers.

Him: it's ugly.

Me: 3 choices: walk/bum rides, pay for your own car, or take the Soob.

Him: *disgruntled teenage mutter*

to be continued. . .

2014 Crosstrek, my third Subaru, hands down best vehicle I’ve ever owned, by a comfortable margin. Perfect balance of comfort, convenience, efficiency, utility, ability and everything else I could possibly want in a vehicle. It’s been my daily driver for just over 5 years now & it still impresses me every time I’m in it.

My parents bought their first Subaru in 1980. The dealer took them on a test ride up a power line covered in snow. It was an easy sell. My family has had at least 8 Subaru's since 1980. They just won't die, but they rust away.
They do rust if you don’t stay on top of cleaning the undercarriage. Most parts are bolt on so that helps. First thing I do with each new one is go clean and protect all grounds in the engine compartment. My 13 didn’t seem to develop any rust in the 5 years I had it, but I ran it thru a car wash with undercarriage cleaners after each snow melt. Started that with my 06 and it was rust free on the structure, but hardware still would develop scale. My daughters 09, which came from NY, is a mess. I’ve replaced all but one subframe or carrier group. She drives the thing all over the country as a traveling chef. I think a lot of it depends on where it grows up at. Lol, this maybe why rust on a TJ frame doesn’t scare me.

My 20 year old loves the 2018 crosstrek we got him and my 17 year old daughter would love one as well, around here they are liked by the younger ricer generation (the crosstrek...not outback).

As promised, here is a pic of my 77 Wagon, on a camping trip in the mountains above Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Park sometime around 1980. For a teeny-tiny little car it was a real beast. If you look closely you can see the "aggressive" tires and white spoke wheels (14x6?) and the CB antenna mounted on the roof My "handle" was Junior Birdman...

View attachment 100410
Thats a cool subi. I doubt you will see any from the era around anymore.

Does anyone want to comment on whether Subaru has fixed the head gasket problem? I mean really fixed the head gasket problem? The problem was huge in the late nineties to about 2010, but claims were made (more than once) that the problem was solved. I am still seeing reports of head gasket failures up through the 2015 model year which leads me to believe that as soon as you get to 100k miles (regardless of the model year) it can still happen.

Does anyone want to comment on whether Subaru has fixed the head gasket problem? I mean really fixed the head gasket problem? The problem was huge in the late nineties to about 2010, but claims were made (more than once) that the problem was solved. I am still seeing reports of head gasket failures up through the 2015 model year which leads me to believe that as soon as you get to 100k miles (regardless of the model year) it can still happen.

To be honest, I've never had had the issue on any of mine. I had heard the reports, but never ran into it. I would check the jugs once a year for leaks and never saw a think. Ive fallen away from the Subi forums. Are they still reporting them there?

View attachment 100410
Okay.....I gotta know the story behind your CB Handle:). I always thought the first Subaru Brat would make a cool off road rig if you would just lift it a little.

I don't see much of that anymore with the current generation. I am on some of the Subaru forums and it is not that big of a topic from what I have seen. It definitely was an issue on the previous generation.

I don't see much of that anymore with the current generation. I am on some of the Subaru forums and it is not that big of a topic from what I have seen. It definitely was an issue on the previous generation.
Gen 3?

Okay.....I gotta know the story behind your CB Handle:). I always thought the first Subaru Brat would make a cool off road rig if you would just lift it a little.

First off, the "Junior" part came from the fact that my father and I have the same name. Side note: My nickname is "J. R." because my dad didn't want his friends to call me "Junior" or "Little Neal" so he started calling me "J.R." when I was born. Some of my Navy shipmates never realized that those weren't my real initials... Anyway, the"Birdman" part came from my job as a Naval Aircrewman, along with a reference to an old song from the '30's.

First off, the "Junior" part came from the fact that my father and I have the same name. Side note: My nickname is "J. R." because my dad didn't want his friends to call me "Junior" or "Little Neal" so he started calling me "J.R." when I was born. Some of my Navy shipmates never realized that those weren't my real initials... Anyway, the"Birdman" part came from my job as a Naval Aircrewman, along with a reference to an old song from the '30's.
Good story.... Thanks:)