TJ rear disc brake conversion

JeepDew

Has anyone ever done a rear disk brake conversion. What brand did you use. Are you happy with it. How hard was it.

Just realized my daughters Jeep needs rear brakes. Might as well upgrade [emoji849][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did mine using the components from a 98 ZJ which was easy to source and was pleased with the results however most will tell you that there is no braking improvement over a properly maintained drum setup, but I will take the E-brake performance over the drum setup any day. My disc install is in over 2 years now and I have yet to re-adjust the E-brake since the day it was installed. I used the old calipers as a core for new ones and replaced the rotors. All said and done the conversion cost me about $150.

East Coast Gear Supply and Black Magic both offer kits:

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Rear-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kits_c105.htm

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-17327330-jeep-dana-35-44-disc-brake-kit.html

Last edited:
It’s well worth it, and cheap enough that why wouldn’t you do it? Like mentioned above, you won’t gain any stopping power, but the e-Brake works so much better and changing brakes becomes much easier as well, since drums are usually always harder to change than discs.

Reactions: CodaMan
You will not gain any stopping power by converting rear drums to disk. The only thing you gain is easier maintenance. Is that worth the time and effort to convert to disk to you?

Reactions: Irun and MikeO
Why do you guys think the E-Brake works better with discs vs drum?

In my mind, it would be opposite. The disc brake set-up (at least on any rear disc vehicle I've worked on) uses a small drum for the parking brake. The Standard drum uses the vehicle motive brakes as a parking brake. All else being equal, the larger surface area and diameter of the standard drum means that it will be a more powerful parking brake...

Reactions: Twopoint and KCsTJ
Why do you guys think the E-Brake works better with discs vs drum?

In my mind, it would be opposite. The disc brake set-up (at least on any rear disc vehicle I've worked on) uses a small drum for the parking brake. The Standard drum uses the vehicle motive brakes as a parking brake. All else being equal, the larger surface area and diameter of the standard drum means that it will be a more powerful parking brake...

It's really a matter of the drum type shoes being dual purpose and in constant use to stop the Jeep VS the shoes on the disc setup which are dedicated to the E-brake that see no wear and remain in constant adjustment.

Well a lot of owners comment on the performance of the disc conversion e-brake vs the drum setup so either they do not use their brakes in reverse enough for the adjuster to work properly or the disc setup works better.

It’s well worth it, and cheap enough that why wouldn’t you do it? Like mentioned above, you won’t gain any stopping power, but the e-Brake works so much better and changing brakes becomes much easier as well, since drums are usually always harder to change than discs.

I beg to differ if I may; You get better stopping power if your brakes get wet. the disks will stop way and noticeably different than drums. I personally don't care too much about the ebrake as long as it works, and finding out now that you can do a zj conversion I am going to start planning that myself.

If you cross creeks or mud you definitely want the rear disks in my mind, if you can work it out.

I beg to differ if I may; You get better stopping power if your brakes get wet. the disks will stop way and noticeably different than drums. I personally don't care too much about the ebrake as long as it works, and finding out now that you can do a zj conversion I am going to start planning that myself.

If you cross creeks or mud you definitely want the rear disks in my mind, if you can work it out.

That may be true, I couldn’t really feel any difference when I did the conversion on my old XJ. I believe @mrblaine said something like the rear brakes are only responsible for 30% of the braking power. I’m sure I’m wrong, but it was something along those lines.

I just like the rear discs because to me, they are easier to change than the drums were.

[QUOTE="Chris, post: 118914, member:

I just like the rear discs because to me, they are easier to change than the drums were.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, drum brakes are "classic".... and TJs are "Classic Jeeps" and so, 10 years from now, even the dealership mechanics may not even know how to change a "drum brake" :)
ccccccc.jpg dddddd.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
That may be true, I couldn’t really feel any difference when I did the conversion on my old XJ. I believe @mrblaine said something like the rear brakes are only responsible for 30% of the braking power. I’m sure I’m wrong, but it was something along those lines.

I just like the rear discs because to me, they are easier to change than the drums were.

Not arguing with you just stating the fact that when I lived in the Pacific North Wet, it stopped way better with 4 wheel discs than it did with the rear drums after being submerged in water, and it was noticeable. Probably why almost all cars and trucks are 4 wheel discs now.

Plus all of the things you mentioned. I don't see any reason not to do it. I am looking for a zj parting now. Do you know what years of zj I am looking for?

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
Stopping from rear Disc Brake is not really a big factor. Front is what will stops the rig.
Exactly, which is why all automotive braking systems are biased via a proportioning valve to provide the front brakes with a big majority of the braking force. Increase or improve the rear braking too much and slides are the result. Braking systems are biased to provide just enough power to the rear brakes so slides and loss of control during hard braking won't be a problem.

The only way converting from drum to disk in the rear could improve overall braking would be if there was a mechanical problem with the rear drum brakes and they weren't working properly.

Reactions: Shwiftypickle
Not arguing with you just stating the fact that when I lived in the Pacific North Wet, it stopped way better with 4 wheel discs than it did with the rear drums after being submerged in water, and it was noticeable. Probably why almost all cars and trucks are 4 wheel discs now.

Plus all of the things you mentioned. I don't see any reason not to do it. I am looking for a zj parting now. Do you know what years of zj I am looking for?
When I worked at Virg's Brake and Suspension in Mount Vernon, Washington, I was taught that the front brakes did 70% of the work (the bias was toward the front brakes), and that disc brakes were a far superior braking system to drums. Disc brakes are a "zero clearance" brake, in that they have the slightest drag against the rotors, which is a good (great) thing when dealing with wet weather. They are constantly clearing the rotors of the water, whereas drum brakes retract the shoes more (allowing far more clearance), and the water can, in extreme cases, even pool in the bottom of the drums. Also, drum brakes, by their very design, retain heat, allowing for brake fade much quicker than rotors (especially vented rotors). I was told that we would likely be seeing more cars going to 4-wheel discs in the near future (this was told to me in '81). Well, that is exactly what has happened. The upper end models of most brands have made the switch to 4-wheel discs. The lower end models frequently retain the drum brakes in the rear. Now, maybe for off-roading applications, you'll not notice much difference between discs and drums (in the rear), especially in dry areas. But for those of us who do far more driving on pavement than rocks, I'd argue that a 4-wheel disc set-up is the superior brake system.

When I worked at Virg's Brake and Suspension in Mount Vernon, Washington, I was taught that the front brakes did 70% of the work (the bias was toward the front brakes), and that disc brakes were a far superior braking system to drums. Disc brakes are a "zero clearance" brake, in that they have the slightest drag against the rotors, which is a good (great) thing when dealing with wet weather. They are constantly clearing the rotors of the water, whereas drum brakes retract the shoes more (allowing far more clearance), and the water can, in extreme cases, even pool in the bottom of the drums. Also, drum brakes, by their very design, retain heat, allowing for brake fade much quicker than rotors (especially vented rotors). I was told that we would likely be seeing more cars going to 4-wheel discs in the near future (this was told to me in '81). Well, that is exactly what has happened. The upper end models of most brands have made the switch to 4-wheel discs. The lower end models frequently retain the drum brakes in the rear. Now, maybe for off-roading applications, you'll not notice much difference between discs and drums (in the rear), especially in dry areas. But for those of us who do far more driving on pavement than rocks, I'd argue that a 4-wheel disc set-up is the superior brake system.

Since my reply, I have ordered a Ford 8.8 rear end from a local shop, and it is going to come with disk brakes, so I will soon have 4 wheel disks, so I am actually backing up what I am dishing out!!

4 wheel disc brakes coming soon for me too. They were already on the rear axle, so it’s set. I can’t imagine anyone arguing that disc brakes are a bad idea. I think that about says it all.