TJ rear disc brake conversion

4 wheel disc brakes coming soon for me too. They were already on the rear axle, so it’s set. I can’t imagine anyone arguing that disc brakes are a bad idea. I think that about says it all.
As you stated, I doubt anyone is arguing that they're a bad idea, I just think some are cutting them short on the benefit of having 'em on all four corners. To be honest, I had never heard the "no real benefit in braking" claim before joining this forum. I was rather surprised by it. But, you know, different life experiences net different life results. ;) T'sall good!

Reactions: glwood and ac_
As you stated, I doubt anyone is arguing that they're a bad idea, I just think some are cutting them short on the benefit of having 'em on all four corners. To be honest, I had never heard the "no real benefit in braking" claim before joining this forum. I was rather surprised by it. But, you know, different life experiences net different life results. ;) T'sall good!
Well, I’ll throw my experience into the net results when I get them installed. As I mentioned somewhere else on here, I bet the BMB pads bring the most improvement, but I still think disc brakes have more pros than cons and are better than drums in several ways. That makes them better overall. Don’t know why so many folks are down on them!

Reactions: Squatch
I have to replace 1 rear brake. My Dana 44 bearing failed, axle and tire left the JEEP at 60mph destroyed entire brake from the backing plate out! I have a Dana 44, no anti lock is this ZJ swap a direct bolt on? If it is, will the discs from a 35 work? Don't even know if the ZJ was available with the 35, just want to be prepared for junkyard hunting.

[QUOTE John Murphy, post: 206635, member: 9045"]I have to replace 1 rear brake. My Dana 44 bearing failed, axle and tire left the JEEP at 60mph destroyed entire brake from the backing plate out! I have a Dana 44, no anti lock is this ZJ swap a direct bolt on? If it is, will the discs from a 35 work? Don't even know if the ZJ was available with the 35, just want to be prepared for junkyard hunting.[/QUOTE]

The disc setup from the ZJ will fit the Dana 35 rear.

Reactions: KCsTJ
[QUOTE John Murphy, post: 206635, member: 9045"]I have to replace 1 rear brake. My Dana 44 bearing failed, axle and tire left the JEEP at 60mph destroyed entire brake from the backing plate out! I have a Dana 44, no anti lock is this ZJ swap a direct bolt on? If it is, will the discs from a 35 work? Don't even know if the ZJ was available with the 35, just want to be prepared for junkyard hunting.

The disc setup from the ZJ will fit the Dana 35 rear.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

I wonder if disc brake upgrades are really emergency brake downgrades? Has anybody seen the tiny little impish shoes on the disc brakes, do they really hold the same as full size drums? If there really is no braking performance upgrade like Jerry says and the emergency brake performance is worse then what's the point?

I wonder if disc brake upgrades are really emergency brake downgrades? Has anybody seen the tiny little impish shoes on the disc brakes, do they really hold the same as full size drums? If there really is no braking performance upgrade like Jerry says and the emergency brake performance is worse then what's the point?

I don't believe it is a down grade. Plus the ebrake was only made to hold the vehicle of which it does.

Think about it the ebrake on the conversion is actually off of a bigger vehicle. Like say either a XJ or a Ford 8.8 just because the shoes are smaller doesn't mean that it wont hold any better. Honestly I think the disk brake upgrade is also a ebrake upgrade. I have drums now and even adjusted up tight, I can still drive with the ebrake on. On my old 8.8 on my YJ I couldn't.

I also believe that most of your braking is done in the front, so it may not be necessary for the upgrade for some people, but if you do plan on going offroad especially in water, I really believe the disk brake is an upgrade. I am not sure if you have ever soaked your rear brakes in a creek or river, but your brakes suck till they dry out. Disks don't retain water so they dry out almost immediately.

Reactions: JMT
E-brakes? I rarely ever even use my e-brake... seriously. That's the last thing I would be thinking about... :risas3:

But that being said, the times I have used my e-brake (usually only when parked on steel inclines), it's held up just fine.

We can all agree that the rear disc conversion doesn't improve braking performance. The only benefit of it is that it's easier to change discs than drums, plain and simple.

Reactions: ac_
E-brakes? I rarely ever even use my e-brake... seriously. That's the last thing I would be thinking about... :risas3:

But that being said, the times I have used my e-brake (usually only when parked on steel inclines), it's held up just fine.

We can all agree that the rear disc conversion doesn't improve braking performance. The only benefit of it is that it's easier to change discs than drums, plain and simple.
I don’t know about that. The automotive engineers as a whole would seem to be at odds with you.

Just to be clear, it is a parking brake, not an emergency brake. It is to assist the transmission to hold the vehicle in place. It isn't designed to do any kind of stopping.

Reactions: ac_ and JMT
I don’t know about that. The automotive engineers as a whole would seem to be at odds with you.

Never used the parking brake on our 2015 Subaru Outback once since purchasing it in 2015... not a single time.

Maybe if it were a manual transmission on a hill. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be concerned with the parking brake as a reason to not have rear disc brakes. That's got to be the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Never used the parking brake on our 2015 Subaru Outback once since purchasing it in 2015... not a single time.

Maybe if it were a manual transmission on a hill. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be concerned with the parking brake as a reason to not have rear disc brakes. That's got to be the silliest thing I've ever heard.
In the rust belt, if you don't use the parking brake on a regular (consistent) basis, the system (cables, etc.) rust in the open/disengaged position, and renders it useless. You may not think much of it, until it's time to try and get your vehicle to pass inspection. Oops!

Reactions: Don Ashcraft

Oh, gotcha, I didn’t understand what you were saying.

On a related not, on my manual I use my parking brake daily. I use it on every wheelin’ trip too, often.

Reactions: ac_
In the rust belt, if you don't use the parking brake on a regular (consistent) basis, the system (cables, etc.) rust in the open/disengaged position, and renders it useless. You may not think much of it, until it's time to try and get your vehicle to pass inspection. Oops!

You can blame my over-privileged (white privilege some might say :risas3:) PNW dwelling self for that one! I don't know as much about rust as those guys do in the other parts of the U.S.

Oh, gotcha, I didn’t understand what you were saying.

On a related not, on my manual I use my parking brake daily. I use it on every wheelin’ trip too, often.

I'd always be more inclined to use it on a manual transmission for sure. I say that because my buddy had his manual transmission GTI parked on a hill and it managed to pop out of gear somehow and since he didn't have his e-brake on, it rolled down the hill and through someone's fence, into their yard!

I don't think you have to worry about automatics popping out of gear... I could be wrong.

Reactions: Squatch and JMT
You can blame my over-privileged (white privilege some might say :risas3:) PNW dwelling self for that one! I don't know as much about rust as those guys do in the other parts of the U.S.

I'd always be more inclined to use it on a manual transmission for sure. I say that because my buddy had his manual transmission GTI parked on a hill and it managed to pop out of gear somehow and since he didn't have his e-brake on, it rolled down the hill and through someone's fence, into their yard!

I don't think you have to worry about automatics popping out of gear... I could be wrong.
I’d say you’re right. I rarely use ours on our automatic Yukon. I do when I have to park on an incline

I’d say you’re right. I rarely use ours on our automatic Yukon. I do when I have to park on an incline

Yeah, inclines are a different story, especially if you have a manual.

I have owned at least two manual transmission vehicles that had such tired, low compression engines that you could park them on a hill, in 1st or reverse gear, and they would still crawl their way down the hill. That's when I started using the parking brake regularly! ;)

I have owned at least two manual transmission vehicles that had such tired, low compression engines that you could park them on a hill, in 1st or reverse gear, and they would still crawl their way down the hill. That's when I started using the parking brake regularly! ;)

Haha... that's crazy to think about. I believe it, it's just hard to imagine.

Reactions: Squatch