Rear brakes getting hot after new pads and rotor

Brian.souhan

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, just replaced my TJs rear disc brakes with new pads and rotors and I noticed even after break in I’m getting the burnt brake smell. After driving I checked caliper temperatures and they were both around 390F whereas the fronts were at 110F. I’m guessing that for some reason there is some brake engagement, but I don’t really feel it when rolling or slowing down, so it is very slight… the pads seemed really thick, could they have been slightly too thick and will they wear down with time? I used the power stop brake kit (going through inspection and wanted them quick…but now I’m paying for that decision and not going with the black magic brakes like previously had…)

Thanks!

Hi all, just replaced my TJs rear disc brakes with new pads and rotors and I noticed even after break in I’m getting the burnt brake smell. After driving I checked caliper temperatures and they were both around 390F whereas the fronts were at 110F. I’m guessing that for some reason there is some brake engagement, but I don’t really feel it when rolling or slowing down, so it is very slight… the pads seemed really thick, could they have been slightly too thick and will they wear down with time? I used the power stop brake kit (going through inspection and wanted them quick…but now I’m paying for that decision and not going with the black magic brakes like previously had…)

Thanks!

Did you flush the fluid? How many miles on the Jeep?

159k miles, nope didn’t flush the fluid…

Certainly not the brake guru on the forum, but it has been recommended here that a flush be done with each pad change. The reason is that the TJ brake system is subject to accumulating rust, grit and other detritus.

When you press the piston back into the caliper to install the new pads, the piston and seals get into this mess and can cause the pistons to stick. If the pistons stick, they may not release completely from the rotor, which can cause overheating.

I’m certainly not sure if this is what is happening in your case, but if nothing else solves the issue it may be worth exploring. Unfortunately, the only solution to this issue of which I’m aware is to rebuild the calipers.

I’m sure others will chime in. Lot’s of knowledgable folks here.

Did flush brake fluid about 15k miles ago but definitely can do again, also will check lines to make sure not twisted!

Similar experience with my 2004 Silverado truck. The culprit is aftermarket brake pads are thicker to ensure they last the warranty periods promised. Mine were so bad I had to remove them and put the stock pads back on at the time. You could feel/smell the heat from just a short drive. If you are ambitious a belt sander with a ferocious grit will get them into a usable state.

Last edited: