Rear bumper with carrier

PriddyBoy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for a decent rear bumper with a tire carrier. Really looking for reviews. I know our Jeeps didn’t come with them but I’m looking to use it as a base to build around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dirtworx are very popular here. I personally run a warn with the tire carrier and am very happy with it.
Capture.JPG

I would recommend dirtworx.

I would not recommend smittybilt. My bumper/carrier was one of the first things I bought for my jeep and i have regretted it ever since. The latching system is shit, water makes its way into the turn handle and rusts making it inoperable. The pivot point is literally just a pole on the bumper, and the carrier slides over it. No bearings at all. It rattles like crazy, I am waiting for the day that the post shears off and my carrier hits the highway. The only positives I can find is that the finish has held up surprisingly well. Between bouncing off rocks, motorcycles rear ending me, and general winter conditions, it still has powdercoat remaining. It also came with frame tie-ins.

Reactions: PriddyBoy
X3 with my recommendation for a Dirtworx rear bumper with its integrated 2" receiver hitch, I've had that bumper on two different TJs and it's a very nice beefy well-built product. That it's American made is icing on the cake. www.thedirtworx.com

Don't even consider one of Shittybilt's cheap Chinese bumpers, they are made as cheaply as possible.

Take a look at what happened to the spare tire carrier on this Shittybilt rear bumper.... its design, quality, & lack of strength allowed its spare tire carrier to just fall off. They look great in catalogs but...

Smittybilt tire carrier fell off.jpg

I have a Rockhard 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier, installed by the previous owner. I added the Rockhard 4x4 jerry can mounts. It is rock solid, rattle free, and the one finger operation of the latch for the swing-away arm is the nicest of any commercially made bumper I have seen.

Jerry Cans 2.jpg

Reactions: PriddyBoy
how much is dirt worx shipping i have thought about them a lot but i would think shipping outrageous
Go to the website. Put the item in your cart then have it calculate the shipping price. A rear bumper / carrier would be 79 to my zip in ca.

X3 with my recommendation for a Dirtworx rear bumper with its integrated 2" receiver hitch, I've had that bumper on two different TJs and it's a very nice beefy well-built product. That it's American made is icing on the cake. www.thedirtworx.com

Don't even consider one of Shittybilt's cheap Chinese bumpers, they are made as cheaply as possible.

Take a look at what happened to the spare tire carrier on this Shittybilt rear bumper.... its design, quality, & lack of strength allowed its spare tire carrier to just fall off. They look great in catalogs but...

View attachment 44146

WOW - I think that's the same bumper I have! Better keep an eye on that weld... :eek:

IF you are talking about the smittybilt its not even welded on. The post is bolted to the bumper. The picture Jerry B showed is what I am waiting to happen to mine. Ive contemplated taking it off and tossing the spare in the back end

IF you are talking about the smittybilt its not even welded on. The post is bolted to the bumper. The picture Jerry B showed is what I am waiting to happen to mine. Ive contemplated taking it off and tossing the spare in the back end

Yes, indeed, pretty sure mine is the same. I'll go check that out later. One of my buds has a welder; might have to do some PM...

I've got a Warn w/tire carrier. It's been carrying a 35" tire since 2004 and for the last two weeks a 37" tire. It fits high & tight.

I personally like this View attachment 44481
Every time I see someone having to lift their spare tire's often very heavy weight in that kind of holder each time after needing to open the tailgate, I'm always curious what the motivation was to select that style carrier. I'm old enough to want to avoid having to lift my heavy 35" tires & beadlock wheels any more than I have to which is why I use a swing-out carrier.

20140111_100321-edited.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw