Rear bumper with tire carrier recommendations

jsloan601

I'm looking to replace my rear bumper. My tire carrier is causing issues and rattles. Looking for something that has a place to mount reverse lights as well.

What ya got?

Just posted this on the YJ forum, so I'll paste it here too (with a few edits):

I have the Rock Hard 4x4 rear tire carrier bumper on my TJ and highly recommend it.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm
It is very heavy duty, and doesn't rattle or sway. It has recovery points, tow-rated receiver hitch, carries a 38 inch spare tire, and comes with mounts for a hi-lift jack and CB accessories. I frequently use the optional cargo rack and gas can holders.

Their bumpers are made in Nebraska.

The system is designed to be very adjustable. The tire carrier is both height and depth adjustable by a significant margin, so you can have your tire as high or low and as far in or out as you want. The bumper itself can be mounted an inch higher than factory to hide a body lift or for extra clearance. Even the cargo rack and can mounts are height adjustable to a degree, and the cargo rack is depth adjustable to a degree.

The biggest downside to it is that it is quite heavy. If you're highly weight conscious, a body mounted tire carrier will save weight versus a spare tire bumper.

For the most part, YJ and TJ bumpers are often interchangeable. So if you find a good bumper for sale for the YJ, it may also fit the TJ.

No matter what bumper or carrier you get, you must get and use frame brace brackets, which are offered by just about every bumper manufacturer. On the TJ (and YJ), the rear crossmember is prone to bending and even tearing off the frame rails. The braces take the load off the crossmembers and put it straight to the 3/16" thick frame rails. The last thing you need is to have a bumper fall off while bouncing around or get ripped off the frame while being winched out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney and B252
In My Opinion...
When I bought my rear swingout carrier (which I still use) I did not account for a few things that have made me change my mind about it. One thing is the added weight which is definitely noticeable from the second after I put it on. The second thing is the fact that you need to open up two things to get into the trunk space. Which does not seem like a big deal but honestly it is one of my biggest pet peeves. Lastly, is the fact that it moved the tire much higher which obviously blocks the view from your mirror. This is something that you can avoid by getting an adjustable one but it gets a bit pricey.

So if I were to do it all over again I would get a heavy duty tire carrier for the tailgate door. Maybe the one that acts as the tailgate hinge as well as the tire carrier. I have seen some very nice ones out there. And a separate lightweight and low profile bumper (maybe aluminum) that you can frame tie and could mount some LEDs to if you wanted extra reverse lights.

Just my opinion but it depends on your taste and style. When I bought mine I mainly was looking for the style, but after purchasing I realized that I wish I had gone a different route which is a bit more functional for my needs.

In My Opinion...
When I bought my rear swingout carrier (which I still use) I did not account for a few things that have made me change my mind about it. One thing is the added weight which is definitely noticeable from the second after I put it on. The second thing is the fact that you need to open up two things to get into the trunk space. Which does not seem like a big deal but honestly it is one of my biggest pet peeves. Lastly, is the fact that it moved the tire much higher which obviously blocks the view from your mirror. This is something that you can avoid by getting an adjustable one but it gets a bit pricey.

So if I were to do it all over again I would get a heavy duty tire carrier for the tailgate door. Maybe the one that acts as the tailgate hinge as well as the tire carrier. I have seen some very nice ones out there. And a separate lightweight and low profile bumper (maybe aluminum) that you can frame tie and could mount some LEDs to if you wanted extra reverse lights.

Just my opinion but it depends on your taste and style. When I bought mine I mainly was looking for the style, but after purchasing I realized that I wish I had gone a different route which is a bit more functional for my needs.

I heard/read that the tailgate versions would bend your tailgate if you ran large tires...like a 33 or whatever. Are there some that can carry that large without damage?

I heard/read that the tailgate versions would bend your tailgate if you ran large tires...like a 33 or whatever. Are there some that can carry that large without damage?
Depends on how well it is installed and how heavy the tire is.

These ones may be able to do it:
http://www.morryde.com/products/219-tj-tailgate-reinforcementhttps://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogateI recommend researching it a bit more before attempting, because I have no experience with these. There are a few good threads discussing them in this forum.

The biggest thing is that the rubber bumpers under the tire must be the correct length. If the rubbers aren't correctly loaded, the tailgate will see very high levels of stress and will eventually be damaged.

Reactions: GPK03X
Depends on how well it is installed and how heavy the tire is.

These ones may be able to do it:
http://www.morryde.com/products/219-tj-tailgate-reinforcementhttps://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogateI recommend researching it a bit more before attempting, because I have no experience with these. There are a few good threads discussing them in this forum.

The biggest thing is that the rubber bumpers under the tire must be the correct length. If the rubbers aren't correctly loaded, the tailgate will see very high levels of stress and will eventually be damaged.
That is the one I would have gone with if I could do it over again. I have heard good things about it and I think that a lot of members use it with no issues. It says he is running a 35" so I would think that it should be fine but not sure because I have not personally used it.

That is the one I would have gone with if I could do it over again. I have heard good things about it and I think that a lot of members use it with no issues. It says he is running a 35" so I would think that it should be fine but not sure because I have not personally used it.
Morryde? Or Exogate? Seems like everyone always debates between the two

Morryde? Or Exogate? Seems like everyone always debates between the two
Personally I would go with the Exogate because the website has a big american flag on it that says American made and also seems a bit more user friendly being able to buy it. Also the Morryde says it holds up to a 33" which In a lot of cases is fine but for some running 35"s would be hesitant especially if your going to spend a few hundred dollars on it. Not sure what specs on what the the Exogate would hold but thats just what I would go with personally.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I'm not sure I like the look of those. While I'm not a huge fan of opening an extra latch to get in the tailgate, I would be a bit nervous hanging a 35 off my tailgate. My current system has the tub cracking a bit. I gotta do something. Looking seriously at the DirtWorx. Also like the JCR Offroad. Those be heavy eh?

I've been using the MorRyde for a year now carrying a 35x12.5x17 Duratrac load range e. No issues. No sag, no rattle, no problem. And I wheel my rig too. Just make sure the tire is tight against all the snubbers and you'll be fine.

20200405_145135.jpg

I'm not sure I like the look of those. While I'm not a huge fan of opening an extra latch to get in the tailgate, I would be a bit nervous hanging a 35 off my tailgate. My current system has the tub cracking a bit. I gotta do something. Looking seriously at the DirtWorx. Also like the JCR Offroad. Those be heavy eh?
I have heard good things and bad things about DirtWorx and I have heard that the "rattleproof" setup is not always rattleproof. They are American made I believe which is always a good thing. I don't know much about the JCR offroad one but I think they make one that mounts to the bumper and the tailgate making it a single opening instead of a double. Not sure on that but you can do your research. Either way a bumper and tire carrier is going to be heavy but it all depends on your preference maybe you don't care about dragging the extra weight around.
As for the strength of the Exogate im not sure because I have never used it but im sure somebody on here can give you some insight on that.

I plan to go the Moryde/Exogate route personally for a few reasons:

1. I don't want to control the swingout separate from the tailgate
2. They are typically too deep and hang out too far
3. You're locking yourself into a pretty heavy rear end (say you want a lighter or plate bumper eventually)...
4. I've not met anyone with one that doesn't regret it (typically because of the eventual rattle and/or sag)

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
I used to think it was the perfect solution. After seeing that @jscherb had his tub basically crushed at the body mount from the extra weight over time I am starting to wonder how these things are going to hold up long term. There does seem to be some smarts to putting the load directly on the frame. I guess time will tell.

I used to think it was the perfect solution. After seeing that @jscherb had his tub basically crushed at the body mount from the extra weight over time I am starting to wonder how these things are going to hold up long term. There does seem to be some smarts to putting the load directly on the frame. I guess time will tell.
My tub damage is because of slamming down off ledges on trails - the sides of the trailer hitch under the frame slam down onto the rocks and that flexes the frame, which flexes the rear body mounts of the tub. The flexing of the rear body mounts caused slight deformation of the sheet metal near the body mount on the driver side. There was no damage on the passenger side where the Exogate mounts. The damage was unrelated to the Exogate.

My tub damage is because of slamming down off ledges on trails - the sides of the trailer hitch under the frame slam down onto the rocks and that flexes the frame, which flexes the rear body mounts of the tub. The flexing of the rear body mounts caused slight deformation of the sheet metal near the body mount on the driver side. There was no damage on the passenger side where the Exogate mounts. The damage was unrelated to the Exogate.
The damage was caused by the extra weight in the tub. You are in denial if you think the weight you added wasn't a contributing factor. If you think the weight of the tire is centered anywhere in relation to the mount and not it's center of mass well, that's wrong.

The damage was caused by the extra weight in the tub. You are in denial if you think the weight you added wasn't a contributing factor. If you think the weight of the tire is centered anywhere in relation to the mount and not it's center of mass well, that's wrong.
I do carry extra weight on the drivers side - my Trail Kitchen + fridge and the fridge battery are all on the driver's side of the Jeep. So yes, that weight likely contributed to the damage, which was on the drivers side.

I do carry extra weight on the drivers side - my Trail Kitchen + fridge and the fridge battery are all on the driver's side of the Jeep. So yes, that weight likely contributed to the damage, which was on the drivers side.
Don't take it the wrong way, I really like the design. I really just wonder long term how the tub is going to hold up with the extra weight. I know it took a long time for the slider designs to really get ironed out and part of me thinks this could be a similar situation where there are long term issues that "might" pop up. Nothing wrong with looking at the big picture or the long term right?