Rear Dana 44 axle seal

DWR

TJ Addict
Can someone help me find the correct axle seals for my rear Dana 44? I tried looking on rockauto but couldn’t find them.

Timken 9912S or Dana 35239. The Dana would have been factory, the Timken is a different design with an expanding skirt that tightens up into the tube bore when you crank Down the retainer plate nuts. Helps prevent leaks. Many fans of the true 9912s here.

Just don’t order the 9912S from Amazon because you’ll get fake crap. Order from rockauto.

BTW, to find axle seals on rockauto, you need to go to “brake and wheel hub” and then to the “wheel seal” section.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Timken 9912S or Dana 35239. The Dana would have been factory, the Timken is a different design with an expanding skirt that tightens up into the tube bore when you crank Down the retainer plate nuts. Helps prevent leaks. Many fans of the true 9912s here.

Just don’t order the 9912S from Amazon because you’ll get fake crap. Order from rockauto.

BTW, to find axle seals on rockauto, you need to go to “brake and wheel hub” and then to the “wheel seal” section.

Thank you so much! Quick question, why do they have the 9912s listed as just “rear inner” isn’t the dana44 sealed at the end of the tube, not at the pumpkin?

I would have never looked in that section if you didn’t tell me

Thank you so much! Quick question, why do they have the 9912s listed as just “rear inner” isn’t the dana44 sealed at the end of the tube, not at the pumpkin?

I would have never looked in that section if you didn’t tell me

No clue on the rear inner part but rear inner is a false description for sure. Rear axles don’t have inner seals so that the gear oil can run down the tubes and lube the bearings. The 9912S is used at the end of the axle shaft and is slid on before the bearing and bearing retainer are pressed on.

Yeah, took me a while to find the wheel seal section as well. Once I found it I could find pretty much any brand of seal desired in there.

Reactions: DWR
No clue on the rear inner part but rear inner is a false description for sure. Rear axles don’t have inner seals so that the gear oil can run down the tubes and lube the bearings. The 9912S is used at the end of the axle shaft and is slid on before the bearing and bearing retainer are pressed on.

Yeah, took me a while to find the wheel seal section as well. Once I found it I could find pretty much any brand of seal desired in there.

Well, I went ahead and ordered 2 from rock auto like you suggested (have been bitten by the false BS on amazon before). Thanks again!

I've got a seal leaking so I'm going to replace it with the Timken seal that's recommended. I assume it's best to go ahead and change the bearing and race as well, correct? What's the right part numbers for those?

Only the retainer plate is different. I have used this kit on my Dana 44 with disk brakes, just reused my retainer plate that was on the axle

I've got a seal leaking so I'm going to replace it with the Timken seal that's recommended. I assume it's best to go ahead and change the bearing and race as well, correct? What's the right part numbers for those?

You have to change the bearing unless you have a way to pull the old one off, but then you’d have to press it back on as well. If you’re going to do that you may as well get new ones. The standard procedure is to cut the old off.

I’d get the SKF BR10 which comes with the race. Get the Timken 9912S from rockauto, not Amazon.

That says it's for drum brakes only. What's different for the bearing, retainer or seal between drums and disks?
The difference in retainer plates is a lip on the disc version. The drum version is flat. The reason being the factory drum brake backing plate is thinner than the disc backing plate so for them to both put the same amount of preload on the wheel bearings, the disc version has a lip on it to reach further and apply the same preload as the drum version. You absolutely must use the correct retainer plate for the application.

X2, you need to remove the existing bearing and bearing retainer to place the seal. You want a SET10 bearing set, the Timken 9912S is the right choice for the seal.

The old bearings are removed by drilling a big hole in the bearing retainer, stopping the drill bit before it reaches the axle shaft. A cold chisel across the hole will break it so it can be removed.

Axle shaft bearing retainer drilled.jpg

Then you'll need a press to install the new SET10 bearings, seal, and bearing retainer. It should look like this once they're pressed into place. This shows the disk brake type of axle retainer bracket, the one for drum brakes is flat without the flange.

IMAG2340.jpg

X2, you need to remove the existing bearing and bearing retainer to place the seal. You want a SET10 bearing set, the Timken 9912S is the right choice for the seal.

The old bearings are removed by drilling a big hole in the bearing retainer, stopping the drill bit before it reaches the axle shaft. A cold chisel across the hole will break it so it can be removed.

View attachment 363520

Then you'll need a press to install the new SET10 bearings, seal, and bearing retainer. It should look like this once they're pressed into place. This shows the disk brake type of axle retainer bracket, the one for drum brakes is flat without the flange.

View attachment 363521

Thank you for the additional info for the bearing and retainer. Might as well do those at the same time.