Rear disc brakes on a TJ?

Brakes pads are easy to replace. I'd like my clutch to last as long as it can.
Dont make me laugh lol! Thats like saying you dont use your lights to save your battery . So you just dip the clutch when it labours and then guess what gear you should be in after loosing road speed under brakes? Or maybe you like Angel gear till you stop?
No way in a fit shifting down and engine braking at correct revs wears out a clutch unless you cant drive a manual correctly lol

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Dont make me laugh lol! Thats like saying you dont use your lights to save your battery . So you just dip the clutch when it labours and then guess what gear you should be in after loosing road speed under brakes? Or maybe you like Angel gear till you stop?
No way in a fit shifting down and engine braking at correct revs wears out a clutch unless you cant drive a manual correctly lol
You have an alternator to regenerate your battery. You don’t have anything regenerating the clutch. Poor analogy.

In my opinion downshifting does absolutely far too little for me to waste my time downshifting every time I stop. It’s extra usage on the hydraulic assembly, extra potential wear on the clutch, and as already stated, nobody sees brake lights when you do it that way. There is simply no reason to when you have brakes.

It’s funny you mention about not knowing gear to pick after “loosing” road speed from brakes. Are you sure you know how to drive a manual if you can’t choose a gear based on the speed and general land conditions you’re traveling? That is not something I struggle with….

You have an alternator to regenerate your battery. You don’t have anything regenerating the clutch. Poor analogy.

In my opinion downshifting does absolutely far too little for me to waste my time downshifting every time I stop. It’s extra usage on the hydraulic assembly, extra potential wear on the clutch, and as already stated, nobody sees brake lights when you do it that way. There is simply no reason to when you have brakes.

It’s funny you mention about not knowing gear to pick after “loosing” road speed from brakes. Are you sure you know how to drive a manual if you can’t choose a gear based on the speed and general land conditions you’re traveling? That is not something I struggle with….
Sorry you need to have some instruction in driving with a manual gearbox, I teach people in Road ranger operation this is how I know you do not know how to drive with a manual gearbox but hey carry on and get some rear disc brakes to compensate! lol

• Face Palm
Reactions: machoheadgames
Yep. I'm doing it wrong. 😂

Sorry you need to have some instruction in driving with a manual gearbox, I teach people in Road ranger operation this is how I know you do not know how to drive with a manual gearbox but hey carry on and get some rear disc brakes to compensate! lol
What causes wear on a throw-out bearing? What causes wear on a clutch fork? What causes wear on the clutch fork pivot ball? What causes wear on the slave and master?

Reactions: bromel and rasband
What causes wear on a throw-out bearing? What causes wear on a clutch fork? What causes wear on the clutch fork pivot ball? What causes wear on the slave and master?
Don't ask Fishtaco to answer these hard questions. He's owned his (first) Jeep for 6 months or so, although after 12 PBR's, he thinks he knows a lot more.

Wouldn't it just be easier when you need to slow down on the highway or coming up to a stop light; to anticipate your need to slow down and just take your foot off the gas pedal to slow down by using vehicle weight, tire rolling resistance and some engine braking.... ?? For me... this works quite well.
This would increase the life of your brakes and clutch assembly...

Reactions: 5632 and P man
Wouldn't it just be easier when you need to slow down on the highway or coming up to a stop light; to anticipate your need to slow down and just take your foot off the gas pedal to slow down by using vehicle weight, tire rolling resistance and some engine braking.... ?? For me... this works quite well.
I shift into neutral. When I raced motocross, I never even used the clutch except to take off or prevent the bike from stalling under extremely hard braking. No need for it when shifting gears. I miss the speed and thrill of it. Not possible with my Jeep. :(

Coming from someone that used to live and presumably drive in SoCal, that is a very odd way to explain things.

Coming from someone that used to live and presumably drive in SoCal, that is a very odd way to explain things.
I can't believe you still live there. Business must be great with everyone knowing your skills. One of a kind people are hard to find. Unicorns like you are a ghost to most of us.

Last edited:
While I agree with how rear brakes do *MUCH* less work than the fronts, I swapped 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts on my first TJ after taking it to the dealer twice to confirm that everything was working as spec'd and nothing was hanging up. I always thought my engine braking and gentle brake foot might play into the abnormal replacement intervals. Never found a good explanation, though.

While I agree with how rear brakes do *MUCH* less work than the fronts, I swapped 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts on my first TJ after taking it to the dealer twice to confirm that everything was working as spec'd and nothing was hanging up. I always thought my engine braking and gentle brake foot might play into the abnormal replacement intervals. Never found a good explanation, though.
Simple explanation is the rear brakes were doing more work than they were designed for. Fairly common on the 03 Rubi.

Why anyone engine brakes with the thoughts of saving the brakes is beyond me. As mentioned above with all the additional wear on parts that are a lot more work and money to replace, I’d prefer to change brakes and yes I’m well versed on driving a manual. Plus with engine braking, if you are not using your brake at all, you are giving zero warning that you are slowing down to the person behind you. Aka no brake lights

Reactions: DaddyZSmith
I don't think anyone is suggesting either or, but rather and. Coming to a halt using a combination of engine breaking and brakes. While I agree making clear to those behind you that you are slowing via brake lights is important, it is also sensible to be in the correct gear at any time to ensure you are fully in control. Coming to a junction and slowing from 60mph to zero staying in fifth gear until you stop means you have no option to increase your speed once you have slowed beyond the useable range of fifth.

Reactions: SvtLdr and Fishtaco
What causes wear? Everything wears lol It just wears a little less when you know how to use it properly!

What causes wear? Everything wears lol It just wears a little less when you know how to use it properly!
Not possible to wear the throw-out bearing less regardless of how you use it. Not possible to wear the pressure plate diaphragm fingers less regardless of how you use it. Not possible to wear the clutch master, clutch slave, clutch fork, or clutch fork pivot ball less regardless of how you use them. If you move the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch, they all wear every single time and that happens without fail.

The only things you can save depending on how you use them are the flywheel, pressure plate face and clutch disc.