Rear driveshaft issue

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
So I got my rear Rubi Dana 44 installed and everything bolted up nicely. My problem is the driveshaft is too long even when fully compressed. I have an Advance Adapters sye and custom driveshaft. I was going to get a mega short sye to make the room needed for driveshaft. Am I missing something in the adjustment of axle?

When they make driveshafts how much travel inside of shaft is allowable?

He's right, you need a new driveshaft (or to have your existing one cut). The slip joint on the new driveshaft should be pretty much dead center in it's range of travel when the driveshaft is installed and the vehicle is on the ground.

He's right, you need a new driveshaft (or to have your existing one cut). The slip joint on the new driveshaft should be pretty much dead center in it's range of travel when the driveshaft is installed and the vehicle is on the ground.
What get's cut? The splined shaft inside.

You can cut the splined portion only if the length of it is bottoming out in the slip yoke. If it is bottoming out where the splines meet the tube, then it won't work.
Thanks Blaine that's what I needed to know. Thanks for all the help guys.

I changed my sye to a JB conversions shorty sye and that gave me the room I needed. My driveshaft is a 1/2" longer than what it was and seems good. Been driving it as round for a few days with no vibration.

Reactions: Chris
Here's a pic of my new set-up. Loving the new gearing in the Dana 44!
JB Shorty.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Did you break the u-joint or did they shipped the driveshaft with a damaged u-joint in it?

Had to order a 1310x1330 u joint for the new diffs. Thought I would put grease in it and it broke pulling the hose off! I have some small extractors I can probably use to get the threads out and screw in a new one. Wish they were a sealed u joint like the 1310's that came with the driveshaft

I have some small extractors I can probably use to get the threads out and screw in a new one.
Gently tap one in there that is small enough. Once they break off, they aren't torqued against the shoulder and will generally screw right out with just your fingers.