Rear drum brake help

Fitzpatrick

TJ Enthusiast
I don’t know Much about brakes So My question is can I remove this bolt with out needing to bleed brakes or cause any problems? It’s in the way of my rear antirock to make it stiffer. It’s the brass colored bolt right by the Johnny joint that’s in the way on rear brakes.
69F21609-7143-4FE1-B67F-518A94E224F7.jpeg

It looks to me like the bolt you're referring to is the caliper slide bolt that's shrouded with a soft rubber boot. If that's the one you want to remove then you'll be fine - no bleeding necessary. If you're actually referring to the banjo bolt that holds the brake hose in place, then NO. If you loosen the brake hose you'll allow air into the system which will require bleeding bleeding brakes to make right again. BTW, it appears you have disc brakes rather than drum.

It’s the bolt with the square box that’s gold colored I’m referring to. It does have a rubber hose attached to it that’s why I’m worried

It looks to me like the bolt you're referring to is the caliper slide bolt that's shrouded with a soft rubber boot. If that's the one you want to remove then you'll be fine - no bleeding necessary. If you're actually referring to the banjo bolt that holds the brake hose in place, then NO. If you loosen the brake hose you'll allow air into the system which will require bleeding bleeding brakes to make right again. BTW, it appears you have disc brakes rather than drum.
How can you tell it’s disc brakes

The easiest way to tell between disc and drum brakes is to look thru the openings in your wheel. If you see "SHINY" on the other side of the wheel = DISC brakes. If you see cruddy looking metal & rust = DRUM brakes. Also, the TJ drum brakes do not have a brake hose at business ends of the axle housing. They have a solid steel line all the way to the wheel cylinder. I can tell from your photo that you have a rubber brake hose back there = DISC brakes.

Ok
The easiest way to tell between disc and drum brakes is to look thru the openings in your wheel. If you see "SHINY" on the other side of the wheel = DISC brakes. If you see cruddy looking metal & rust = DRUM brakes. Also, the TJ drum brakes do not have a brake hose at business ends of the axle housing. They have a solid steel line all the way to the wheel cylinder. I can tell from your photo that you have a rubber brake hose back there = DISC brakes.
yes it’s shinny when you look through the wheel. They must have been converted by the previous owner and I never knew.

Nope, the Rubicon TJ's came with factory disc brakes in the rear. Luckkkkyyyy! :)

Do not mess with the brass colored bolt yet, look for the tiny nipple above it - that is the bleeder. I suggest bleed it first and then unbolt the big brass bolt. One way or the other, when you put everything back, you need to bleed the air from the top (nipple).

brakes.jpg

Last edited: