Rear drum brake issue (drum brake is leaking from piston)

Bilchris

Supporting Member
So I tried to do a brake bleed, and found out that the driver side rear drum brake is leaking from the piston.
I was doing the brake bleed because it's a new/used jeep to me and I don't know if the brake fluid has ever been changed. It's a 2002 Wrangler X.

I was planning on redoing the front and rear brakes, now I will have to do them sooner.

What should I do about the piston? I've never done drum brakes before, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Drum bleed.jpeg

If you are referring to that cylinder shaped part above the hub then you are going to want to replace the part. It is called the CYLINDER and is pretty cheap part to replace. One of mine is leaking and I am just going to replace both sides when I do the break job.

Do one side at a time so you can always use the other as a reference. It wouldn’t hurt to have some brake tools on hand. Replacing the wheel cylinder is pretty straight forward. You stated that is “new” to you so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a new spring/hardware kit while you are at it. You will get the shoes greasy during install, I clean that off with sand paper.

When you get the new shoes hold them up side by side looking at the brake material and you will notice one is larger then the other. The larger material goes towards the rear.

Pic of some of tools I use, adjusting spoon, tool for return or retaining springs, hold down spring tool also a large flat screw driver on hand (not in pic).

800D4610-A159-45D3-B990-C3995D179261.jpeg

Hope this helped

PS pull up a YouTube video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54 and Chris
They were much easier than expected. Even with replacing every component from the backing plate forward, it was also really quite affordable. I used all Centric parts. Be sure to bleed your brakes when you are done if you remove the wheel cylinders (it looks like you will be)

Get a new brake cylinder, cheap and easy to swap.

Edit: Disassemble one brake at a time so that you have something to go by.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54
Do one side at a time so you can always use the other as a reference. It wouldn’t hurt to have some brake tools on hand. Replacing the wheel cylinder is pretty straight forward. You stated that is “new” to you so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get a new spring/hardware kit while you are at it. You will get the shoes greasy during install, I clean that off with sand paper.

When you get the new shoes hold them up side by side looking at the brake material and you will notice one is larger then the other. The larger material goes towards the rear.

X2....... Always do one side at a time so you have the reference. Swapping out the wheel cylinder is fairly easy. Get a vacuum hand pump with a catch so you can bleed them by yourself.

Reactions: Fonz54
Flush ALL old fluid out. Go buy 2 rear brake cylinders. 1 for each side. If the shoes are wet or have over 1/2 worn off replace them too. Also get the kit for both sides. New springs and such. All of it is very affordable and this way you know you'll be set for years to come.
1 side at a time. Take pics with your phone. If this is your first time lay out all the old parts in the order you removed them. That way you know what order to put the new stuff on. Any problems stop what you are doing and ask. Folks are on here 24/7.

Reactions: Flivver250
If you want to get confused take both rear brakes apart at the same time. X2. Take pics. Great reference!😟

Don't just bleed the brakes, flush the whole system clean with new brake fluid. I bought a Motive pressure bleeder this year after doing it manually for 46 years. It was fast, thorough and much cleaner.
Underrated suggestion. The Motiv pressure bleeders are an exceptional value and will work on any vehicle with the right adapter cap. I replaced my brake hoses and flushed my brakes with the pressure bleeder after. Pedal was rock hard afterward. No assistance needed.

Underrated suggestion. The Motiv pressure bleeders are an exceptional value and will work on any vehicle with the right adapter cap. I replaced my brake hoses and flushed my brakes with the pressure bleeder after. Pedal was rock hard afterward. No assistance needed.
But it is so much fun to stop the wife from what she is doing to come to the hot and stinky garage and tell "push", "hold", and "release" to her over and over. I just want her to remember how much fun it was to birth our 3 children. Makes a great moment to reminisce and strengthens our relationship.

Buy the bleeder and tell her you got it for her for Mother's Day.

Just kidding, advice from 20 years of marriage, just buy the bleeder and say nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Rubicon John
Thanks for all of this input. I ended up tackling this right away. It's unbelievable how much info/video's are on-line to assist you on projects. I ended up replacing the cylinder, drums, pads & springs. Was overwhelmed at first, but with the step by step instructions on these sites, it was manageable. I'm lucky, my 17 yr old, helped out, we were able to bleed these the old fashion way. Thanks all.

Good deal. Drum brake systems have their good points. Keep your 17 yr old's hands greasy. The skills and memories attained now will last a lifetime.

Reactions: J R