Rear drum brake tools

Jeepster78

TJ Enthusiast
Have a few questions about rear breaks for a 2002 tj. I’m restoring a 2002 tj and replacing just about everything. I’ve never messed with rear drums and wanted to know if this tool kit will suffice in replacing the old brakes or should I get something else that would be better?

Also I’ve read a lot about possibly upgrading the rear to disc but many people suggest against that due to rear only suppling about 30% of the breaking power. If I will be putting 35” tires and upgrading the front will the rear drums be sufficient with that tire size?

Also is there a recommended brand of replacement rear brakes including e brake that is suggested?

0016D805-2EEE-4687-95F2-5C47F6720477.png

I've done plenty of drum brakes, and the pliers thing is the only thing I've found to be super helpful. I found a pair of brake pliers that also has the weird cup thing on the end of one handle and the slider thing on the other end....I generally don't use either of those. Needle nose pliers & a flat head screwdriver plus the pliers gets it done for me.

Holy shit that is overkill. I think I used a hefty flathead screwdriver and long-nose vice grips to get everything together, an offset wrench for the bleeder valve, and an adjuster tool for the star wheel.

$250 in tools for drum brakes ... not in a million years.

Reactions: Squatch
Needle nose pliers & a flat head screwdriver plus the pliers gets it done for me.
This. When I did my drums on the TJ, it was the first time I'd done drum brakes in over 20 years, so I didn't remember everything. But a pair of needle nose vice grips, plus a MFSD was pretty much all I used. Just don't break the brakes!

:geek:
The main meaning of break as a verb means to hit forcefully causing an object to divide into parts.

• The girl breaks windows often by hitting baseballs into them.
The main meaning of brake, either as a noun or verb, refers to bring a vehicle to a stop.

• The truck driver stepped on her brake to avoid going too fast.
By understanding each word in context, you can avoid the error of confusing one for the other.
the more you know (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Many years ago I took a large flathead screwdriver and cut a small slot in the tip. Works great for getting the springs on their home. Works great. If I had to do rear drums all day for a living I'd get one of those kits, just seems a bit overkill for something that comes up once in a blue moon. Kinda like the Ford rear brake tool kit I have in a nice blow molded case that I've used twice in 20 years.

A tool to turn those little retaining cups on the sides is nice. Everything else is not really necessary.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Holy shit that is overkill. I think I used a hefty flathead screwdriver and long-nose vice grips to get everything together, an offset wrench for the bleeder valve, and an adjuster tool for the star wheel.

$250 in tools for drum brakes ... not in a million years.
$250 is an ad, not the price for the kit

Reactions: SvtLdr
That's actually not a bad price for everything that's included in the kit. As mentioned above, you really won't need most of those tools to work on the TJ drums. I'd say if you have other drum brake jobs in your future, then it would be worth adding to your tool collection. Then again, I'm always looking for excuses to purchase tools.

Reactions: Claybirdd