Rear drum brakes chattering after drum replacement / service

TJoe

I recently had my brake pads and front rotors/rear drums replaced, as they hadn't been serviced in a while. The mechanic had to flush the rear brake fluid as well. I noticed a new chattering/chirping noise at lower speeds that stop as soon as I apply pressure to the brakes. I took it back and it turned out the adjustment cables to the self adjusters in the rear drums had broken and that's what was causing the noise (the mechanic explained to me that it was causing stress on the front brakes), so he replaced them, but the sounds still persist. I opened it up myself and researched a bit on how drum brakes work, but I'm still not quite sure how it plays into causing the sounds. Is there anyone that can explain what may still be causing these chattering noises and how to resolve it?

A picture of the brake you’re looking at is always helpful. You may want to find a different mechanic. Those cables should not break if not rusted out and functioning as they’re designed to. Makes me think your mechanic broke the cables on install or did not install the brakes correctly. Chattering can happen if the brakes weren’t installed, adjusted and bled correctly.

Reactions: TJoe
A picture of the brake you’re looking at is always helpful. You may want to find a different mechanic. Those cables should not break if not rusted out and functioning as they’re designed to. Makes me think your mechanic broke the cables on install or did not install the brakes correctly. Chattering can happen if the brakes weren’t installed, adjusted and bled correctly.

I don't have pictures yet, but I'll open it up again soon and get some. I was able to get the noise in a video if it helps (pardon the wind).

It is very clear that the retainer on the driver side isn't retaining the self adjuster. I'm not quite sure why, but the cable has a bit more slack than the passenger side.

DriverSide.jpg

PassengerSide.jpg

I found out that the noise was never actually the rear wheels at all 🤦‍♂️. It is coming from the front passenger side. I tore it apart today and noticed a quite worn, month old rotor and spun the wheel with and without the caliper installed. The hub bearings are a bit noisy on their own but I didn't hear the chirping that I'm looking for. I put the rotor, caliper, and wheel back on and the chirps came back. I still can't quite pin down if it's the hub bearings or the brakes because I wasn't able to spin it very fast without the wheel on. I may have to take it back to the mechanic and have him fix his mishap or just ditch him and go to someone else.

Here is the sound as recorded from the wheel in question: Video

20220705_180028.jpg